TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Szofi66

Star Member
Oct 22, 2023
Just finished with my HL direct TC app. I just found out they don’t have a chambers student page and in the ‘which resource did you find most helpful when researching us’ question I put in chambers student. I’m now worried if this could be a cause for them to bin my application? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre would love to know your thoughts!
I'm pretty sure that those kind of questions are strictly for research purposes, some firms even state it on the top of the section that the answers won't be evaluated as part of your application.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just finished with my HL direct TC app. I just found out they don’t have a chambers student page and in the ‘which resource did you find most helpful when researching us’ question I put in chambers student. I’m now worried if this could be a cause for them to bin my application? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre would love to know your thoughts!
Highly unlikely to be the case - as others have said, it’s just to help them with where to spend their marketing budget next year, and even if they don’t have a profile, there will still be the firms info on Chambers Student Guide in other ways.

Reactions: ADKM

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
I could be completely wrong but I wouldn't stress too much about this.

I think it's mostly an internal way of tracking their marketing / what attracts applicants etc.

I'm sure that if recruitment do pay attention to it, it's probably something that they would skim-read anyway. Don't worry!
I'm pretty sure that those kind of questions are strictly for research purposes, some firms even state it on the top of the section that the answers won't be evaluated as part of your application.
Highly unlikely to be the case - as others have said, it’s just to help them with where to spend their marketing budget next year, and even if they don’t have a profile, there will still be the firms info on Chambers Student Guide in other ways.
Thank you! This puts my mind at ease

ellabasing

Standard Member
Premium Member
Dec 27, 2023
Hi everyone! It seems that quite a few of the firms ask a question along the lines of "Describe your proudest achievement and what challenges you have had to overcome" but I was just wondering if it is ok to talk about a personal challenge, rather than a challenge that you may have faced in an academic and/or a professional environment? Thanks in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone! It seems that quite a few of the firms ask a question along the lines of "Describe your proudest achievement and what challenges you have had to overcome" but I was just wondering if it is ok to talk about a personal challenge, rather than a challenge that you may have faced in an academic and/or a professional environment? Thanks in advance!
It doesn’t need to be related to work or academia, so this is fine.

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 18, 2022
I've applied to 8-9 firms this cycle and haven't progressed to the next stage on any of them. I'm an international student due to graduate in 2025. I'm considering updating my approach to applications and looking for inspiration from all of you.

What do you do when you feel stuck? When you don't move to the next stage in the process?

I have considerable legal experience and other work ex, decent grades, starting my own business experience, and some other stuff as well. Maybe it's a presentation thing. But I'll never know because firms don't give specific feedback at the app stage which makes sense since they get so many apps. But, how do I improve when I don't know what to work on?

Assuming its presentation and a better way to sell myself, I'm thinking of - re-doing my work exp section, getting even more critical comments on my app answers and practising more SJTs/ WGs.

I'm curious - what are some things you do? and how do you track progress? do you have any tool or person to chat with? do you recommend getting a mentor?

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Does Freshfields keep on inviting people to complete WG in batches until they have the requisite number of candidates for their AC, or do they invite people to ACs in batches?

Just wondering how long it will take to hear back post-WG

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 6, 2022
    Does Freshfields keep on inviting people to complete WG in batches until they have the requisite number of candidates for their AC, or do they invite people to ACs in batches?

Just wondering how long it will take to hear back post-WG
    It’ll probably be a while until you hear back post-WG cuz FF typically send WG invites in weekly batches. And I think they send like 3 or 4 batches.

Reactions: sxw517

zdzd

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 30, 2022
    What resources would you say have been useful for you guys to prepare for the Watson Glaser? I’ve tried JobTestPrep and the video available on the TCLA course and was just wondering if anyone else had any recommendations?

Also, for anyone who has a Linklaters AC coming up, feel free to reach out. I did one in the last app cycle if you need any overview of what it’s like :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.