TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 23, 2023
I mean it would play a part if FF was rolling but its not... so i'd appreciate if they played fair and square and actually read every application they receive by the deadline
Tbh I think they didn't even read mine. Well I am just speculating. Im gonna start believing in conspiracy theories to explain the PFO 🤣

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
I mean it would play a part if FF was rolling but its not... so i'd appreciate if they played fair and square and actually read every application they receive by the deadline
I think they do - I attended an application workshop they hosted last year and they said they every application is assigned to and read by a member of the early careers team. But given the (likely) thousands of people applying for limited spots and that it gets more competitive every year, I suppose they have a wide discretion to decide whether an application is given a yes over a no, and unfortunately, we may never know why :/

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi there. i was wondering if anyone could help with an answer for an interview question of why I didn't convert a VS to a TC? It's a question i am dreading but ik i should defo expect it coming my way :(

my feedback post-VS wasn't super clear/that useful, I asked but GR didn't give me a specific reason to why i wasn't offered it just that it was a very competitive year l- but i think it was because i didn't score very high in 1 out of 3 of my written pieces during the scheme. I'm not too sure how to say I've improved this though- maybe since i've started working now whereas i was at uni before so not used to writing in a 'lawyerly' way? I did feel quite out of place at the firm so now it's been a few months i think it was for the best as i don't think i would've enjoyed training there but ik that's not an ideal answer haha! Thanks! @axelbeugre
I think that you could just say the truth and explain the ways in which working now allowed you to develop your writing. Rather than focusing on the negative, I will always stress how you overcame this rejection and what you did to work on the feedback given. I personally would try to be truthful but highlight my successes and improvements since that rejection.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    never made it past the app stage for every mc firms now. How? A genuine question. What are they looking for?
    Same!! every single MC firm has rejected me on application yet i've progressed further with a US firm. I have some legal experience, commercial experience, passed university with a high grade and i have a whole list of extracurriculars. What do they want?!?! my left kidney 🫘

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    Same!! every single MC firm has rejected me on application yet i've progressed further with a US firm. I have some legal experience, commercial experience, passed university with a high grade and i have a whole list of extracurriculars. What do they want?!?! my left kidney 🫘
    Probably they want me to gain experience as a CEO of a private equity house before even sending me the WG. who knows

missingh

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 14, 2022
    I think that you could just say the truth and explain the ways in which working now allowed you to develop your writing. Rather than focusing on the negative, I will always stress how you overcame this rejection and what you did to work on the feedback given. I personally would try to be truthful but highlight my successes and improvements since that rejection.
    thank you Axel! It's a shame as generally my feedback sounded positive but unfortunately in one of my tasks i didn't refer to specific clauses in legislation enough. I did beat myself up about it for a while after but 2 hours after the pfo phone call (brutal) i had an interview for an in-house legal internship and i am working here now and i love it so really was a case of one door closing another opening! I have some good feedback from senior people in my team and a pay rise in this current role so hopefully that counts as a success? :) thank you for your input! I really appreciate it

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    I don’t get it… I got an AC with FF 2 years ago and got the WG last year but I didn’t even make it past the application stage this round?? I feel like my grades have gotten significantly stronger as I’ve graduated with a first from a RG Uni since I first applied and I have more legal experience… at this point, idk what I’m doing wrong as I haven’t gotten past a single application stage this cycle. I would usually be hopeful but damn this cycle has been tough
    Same boat, I got the WG invite last year with 0 work experience the winter after graduating. My Cover Letter was really good, and I did it after attending their grad workshop for which I was selected. I used the same tips from the workshop to build up my letter this year, after also working in a commercial law firm as a paralegal for 1 year, and I didnt even get through to a WG this time.

It is, quite literally, a lottery game. And it’s really disheartening.

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    PFO from Freshfields post-app.

I know how competitive the MC is, so not going to complain, but I just sometimes don’t understand how the decisions are made? Last year, I sent in an app an hour before the deadline, with one or two spelling mistakes, and the app was effectively a generic one not tailored to the firm that I copied from another of my applications. I got through to the WG stage.

This year, I researched throughly and feel my app was far better, alongside paralegal experience and an achieved first-class degree, but I didn’t get past the application stage.

I just don’t understand that. I think it makes the whole process much harder to understand when things like that happen.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.