TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Niall

Jan 30, 2024
For anyone experiencing issues with Fieldfisher; I emailed the early careers email but I’m unsure whether this is the correct address to contact, did anyone receive a reply from a different email / has anyone heard about progress regarding direct TC apps, Manchester in particular?

jesslawapps

Star Member
Oct 17, 2023
Hi ! I’m a bit confused on TC Apps. I’m in my final year of non-law, waiting to hear back about VS’. But I was looking at Direct TC Apps and I have a couple of Qs:

1. Do I have to already be enrolled in the GDL before I apply ?
2. Are a lot of firms eg. Eversheds opening their apps in March for Direct TCs or is this just their websites being outdated ?
3. Follow up to that - when do TC apps usually get released ?

Thanks in advance ! @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre or anyone who can help :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi ! I’m a bit confused on TC Apps. I’m in my final year of non-law, waiting to hear back about VS’. But I was looking at Direct TC Apps and I have a couple of Qs:

2. Are a lot of firms eg. Eversheds opening their apps in March for Direct TCs or is this just their websites being outdated ?

1- No, you can apply to direct training contract without the PGDL or any legal education for that matters as majority of the law firms will sponsor you anyway if successful.
2- I honestly do not know about the specific firm but I would believe the website. Alternative, you can message graduate recruitment and they will confirm it for you.
3- The direct training contract applications usually open in the Spring, April/May for many firms.

Hope that the information is helpful!

Reactions: jesslawapps

Bakers Junior Lawyer

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Mar 5, 2019

To follow on from Axel's comment. There is no need to be enrolled in the GDL before applying. However, you will need to be able to meet the start dates. For example, if you apply this cycle, you must be free to complete GDL/LPC/SQE and commence the TC in Autumn 2026/Spring 2027, depending on your pathway. Therefore, typically, penultimate year law, final year students and graduates.

Most firms have one window in Spring for TC applications after their VCs have closed. Spring windows are usually open for a month or two (worth checking individually as some may differ).

TCLA has a thread with firm deadlines for TC applications, linked below, that may be useful. Also, see Chambers Student link.

Best of luck!

Reactions: jesslawapps

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Update from Dentons if anyone is interested:

Thank you for your email.

We are in the process of reviewing a high volume of applications.

I can confirm that you have not missed any communications from us and that we will be in touch soon to provide an update on your application.

jesslawapps

Star Member
Oct 17, 2023
1- No, you can apply to direct training contract without the PGDL or any legal education for that matters as majority of the law firms will sponsor you anyway if successful.
2- I honestly do not know about the specific firm but I would believe the website. Alternative, you can message graduate recruitment and they will confirm it for you.
3- The direct training contract applications usually open in the Spring, April/May for many firms.

Hope that the information is helpful!
Thank you ! So helpful

Reactions: axelbeugre

jesslawapps

Star Member
Oct 17, 2023
To follow on from Axel's comment. There is no need to be enrolled in the GDL before applying. However, you will need to be able to meet the start dates. For example, if you apply this cycle, you must be free to complete GDL/LPC/SQE in Autumn 2026/Spring 2027, depending on your pathway. Therefore, typically, penultimate year law, final year students and graduates.

Most firms have one window in Spring for TC applications after their VCs have closed. Spring windows are usually open for a month or two (worth checking individually as some may differ).

TCLA has a thread with firm deadlines for TC applications, linked below, that may be useful. Also, see Chambers Student link.

Best of luck!
Amazing thank you so much ! Really appreciate this

farr_x

Jan 29, 2024

I can confirm that you have not missed any communications from us and that we will be in touch soon to provide an update on your application. I
this regarding their TC or VS applications?

I can confirm that you have not missed any communications from us and that we will be in touch soon to provide an update on your application.
Is there regarding their TC applications? I know some people heard back regarding their VS application

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.