TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Abgaal

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 24, 2019
I think the deadline was on Friday 4pm for those who received the WG invite for Freshfields on Monday. It seems there was another batch sent out on Tuesday.
My deadline was on Friday to, but I asked for an extension because I wasn't feeling well, I asked till Monday, but they gave it to me till Saturday :(

heyhey123

Feb 18, 2024
@Jessica Booker What would you say is the threshold for (if ever) updating a law firm post-application, pre-outcome about a (positive) change in your CV? I applied to a law firm a week ago that is particularly strong in two areas law. Three days after submission, I became Champion Oralist in a large, international moot court competition that relates to these two areas of law. Is there any point in updating them about this? My gut tells me it would frustrate the point of deadlines and the application process were law firms to accept changes post-deadline, but this update is so significant and directly related to a lot of the work this law firm does (and the interest in these areas of law in which I informed of in my application) that it maybe would be worth a shot? Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    @Jessica Booker What would you say is the threshold for (if ever) updating a law firm post-application, pre-outcome about a (positive) change in your CV? I applied to a law firm a week ago that is particularly strong in two areas law. Three days after submission, I became Champion Oralist in a large, international moot court competition that relates to these two areas of law. Is there any point in updating them about this? My gut tells me it would frustrate the point of deadlines and the application process were law firms to accept changes post-deadline, but this update is so significant and directly related to a lot of the work this law firm does (and the interest in these areas of law in which I informed of in my application) that it maybe would be worth a shot? Thank you for your help!
    I’m not Jessica, but I would update them with this. They may say no updates or not put much weight on it, but ultimately it won’t be seen as a negative and may well strengthen your application

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    i don’t think there is a threshold as such.

There will either be a process where the firm can let you update the form (either by logging back into the application and updating it yourself, or by contacting them) or there won’t be.

If this is something you feel is really important in your application and is going to make it much stronger, then I would email them and ask whether it could be added to your application, but first I would check there is no way for you to update the application yourself. If not, then email them. Keep it super brief though and consider where it would fit into an application, especially if you have already used up word counts in sections you’d want to add it to.

The worst that is going to happen is that they reply back saying they can’t add it to the application where it has been submitted, but you wouldn’t really be in any different a situation that you are now, so I don’t think there is any harm in emailing them, as long as 1) you keep it brief and 2) you double check you can’t add it to your application.

theonecompetant

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 8, 2024
    I think White& Case is rolling
    Not for direct TC apps it seems.

"For our two-year training contracts, you can apply through the vacation scheme route which is how we recruit the majority of our London trainees (approximately 80 percent). Applications for vacation schemes are reviewed on a rolling basis.

Alternatively, you can apply for a place at a training contract assessment centre for which applications are reviewed after the deadline of 14 July 2024."

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.