TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

aniraz

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 14, 2022
    You didn‘t got an AC even 98th?
    Yeah it’s a bit confusing because my written application must have reached a benchmark to progress to WG in the first place, so I would’ve thought with 98th percentile my combined score would be quite high. But they did say there was a lot of competition this year and I’m taking it as a positive that at least I’ve improved in the WG :)

Percypig12

Valued Member
    Oct 19, 2021
    Yeah it’s a bit confusing because my written application must have reached a benchmark to progress to WG in the first place, so I would’ve thought with 98th percentile my combined score would be quite high. But they did say there was a lot of competition this year and I’m taking it as a positive that at least I’ve improved in the WG :)
    Were you 1st or 2nd batch of WG?

TonyStark

Star Member
    Jan 12, 2024
    Can I ask what you did in terms of preparation to score so highly? WG was definitely my weakness!

taetae

Star Member
    Apr 12, 2021

Can I ask what you did in terms of preparation to score so highly? WG was definitely my weakness!

I'd love to know too!

Reactions: aniraz

aniraz

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 14, 2022

Shah74k

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 12, 2023
    Same I’m interested in seeing what factors they used when making their decision. Would’ve thought a 99 percentile WG and a strong cover letter (which in my opinion, it was) would’ve been enough for an AC at the very least.

Reactions: aniraz

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Does anyone know when King & Spalding is expected to respond to applications?
    I imagine that the interviews are more likely to be the end of March than the beginning, grad rec is currently busy with seat changes, new starters and qualifiers. Last year we had less than 2 weeks notice to the AC, and all invites were sent together.

johnnn821

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    I imagine that the interviews are more likely to be the end of March than the beginning, grad rec is currently busy with seat changes, new starters and qualifiers. Last year we had less than 2 weeks notice to the AC, and all invites were sent together.
    Hey Alex, do you know approximately how many people are progressed to the AC? Given the firm offers only 4 TCs, I suspect the number wont be more than 15-20.

johnnn821

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Hey Alex! Am I right in assuming that the process is:

Initial app -> AC -> Final interview?

And is the final interview a 1-1 type of interview?
    I think the final interview is a presentation in front of a Partners' panel. I think they give you a commercial topic beforehand, which then you have to prepare and present

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.