TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

jesslawapps

Star Member
Oct 17, 2023
Hi just looking for a little bit of advice on something !

I have received a verbal TC Offer from a firm I love, and as its unique circumstances (applied for VS but post AC was offered TC) this was then followed with a Zoom call discussing details. On this call, grad rec confirmed they were busy and it would take a while to get a full contract, but would follow the call with a written offer for my peace of mind in the next few days. The call was Thurs 22nd and last Friday I emailed to query when I would be receiving the written offer as I hadn’t had any communications. It is now Monday and I haven’t received a reply.

Should I give them more time or follow up/ is it likely they have changed their minds ? I am a bit nervous with no written offer and unsure whether to withdraw from other processes with no written offer.

Thank you in advance ! @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre / anyone who has any advice to offer !

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023

I have received a verbal TC Offer from a firm I love, and as its unique circumstances (applied for VS but post AC was offered TC) this was then followed with a Zoom call discussing details. On this call, grad rec confirmed they were busy and it would take a while to get a full contract, but would follow the call with a written offer for my peace of mind in the next few days. The call was Thurs 22nd and last Friday I emailed to query when I would be receiving the written offer as I hadn’t had any communications. It is now Monday and I haven’t received a reply.

Should I give them more time or follow up/ is it likely they have changed their minds ? I am a bit nervous with no written offer and unsure whether to withdraw from other processes with no written offer.

Thank you in advance ! @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre / anyone who has any advice to offer !
An oral offer is as valid as a written one so I would not worry at all. There is no chance they will go back on their word. I do understand the need for a written communication, but you had a call with the firm and they specifically told you that they are busy and that they will follow up in the next few days with a confirmation so there is nothing to worry about.

Congratulations on your offer and enjoy this huge achievement you worked hard for!

The written confirmation will come but that does not mean in any way that they will go back on their promise, do not worry!

Reactions: jesslawapps

jesslawapps

Star Member
Oct 17, 2023
An oral offer is as valid as a written one so I would not worry at all. There is no chance they will go back on their word. I do understand the need for a written communication, but you had a call with the firm and they specifically told you that they are busy and that they will follow up in the next few days with a confirmation so there is nothing to worry about.

Congratulations on your offer and enjoy this huge achievement you worked hard for!

The written confirmation will come but that does not mean in any way that they will go back on their promise, do not worry!
That’s great thank you, it really puts my mind at ease about the validity of the verbal offer. Thank you 😁😁

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

They haven’t changed their mind it’s just something on their very long to do list to get to at some point.

You have emailed on Friday - emails might not get picked up for a couple of days, so I would wait until the end of next week (so around the 15th) and then call again if you haven’t received anything.

PFODEFEATER

Standard Member
Oct 24, 2023
Every time I receive a rejection email, I feel a strong urge to respond with 'It's your loss'

Angry Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Obviously, I won't be doing that. I haven't lost the plot completely...

Aga123+

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    Does anyone have an article on the EU AI Act's impact on law firms?

Here are a few I read a while back. If you check the insights section of firms (I think it was Norton Rose, Dentons and DLA) there's some interesting takes on how it will affect law firms.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Here are a few I read a while back. If you check the insights section of firms (I think it was Norton Rose, Dentons and DLA) there's some interesting takes on how it will affect law firms.
    You are an angel

Reactions: Aga123+

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker I am filling out an application and one of the questions is “Tell us why you are interested in this position”. There is no word count on the question. I am not sure how to approach this. Do I talk about my interest in commercial law and how it started? What are some things I should cover to properly answer the question? I feel it is really open-ended. This is for direct tc by the way.
    It really depends on what were the other questions but generally speaking I would utilise this space to highlight reasons I want to join the firm and work for them as a trainee.

I would highlight 3 main reasons you have not discussed yet, whether it is international opportunities, peculiarities regarding the training contract structure if any, pro bono opportunities, lawyers at the firm you would love to train under and work for and diversity initiatives you would want to be included in.

If you already discussed some reasons in another question, it is important to find other peculiarities about the firm that appeal to you and make it the best firm to train at for you.

I hope that is helpful and good luck with it!

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Does anyone have any thoughts on applying to Mayer Brown for a direct TC?

Their FAQs suggest the following: "we strongly recommend that you apply for a Vacation Scheme rather than directly for a Training Contract; the vast majority of our Training Contracts each year are offered to high-performing participants on our Vacation Schemes so that is definitely the most effective way to secure a Training Contract with us".

It seems that they favour VS applicants, so why bother having a direct TC route? Is it worth applying for a direct TC (VS deadline passed)?

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker - what are your thoughts?

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.