TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
Does anyone have any thoughts on applying to Mayer Brown for a direct TC?

Their FAQs suggest the following: "we strongly recommend that you apply for a Vacation Scheme rather than directly for a Training Contract; the vast majority of our Training Contracts each year are offered to high-performing participants on our Vacation Schemes so that is definitely the most effective way to secure a Training Contract with us".

It seems that they favour VS applicants, so why bother having a direct TC route? Is it worth applying for a direct TC (VS deadline passed)?

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker - what are your thoughts?
My limited two cents on this is that "chances" of success if choosing the direct TC route over the VS route probably depends on each firm. If a firm maintains this position, though, I think it's advising/kind of warning you that its most beneficial to you to apply to the VS over the TC, if this is a firm you really want to have the best chance of securing a TC at. But, because there will be applicants that cannot apply for the VS route for certain circumstances (work a full-time job that they can't take 2 weeks off for or are an international candidate who cannot get a visa for a VS), then a TC option is kept in order to be accommodating as possible to the widest pool of applicants.

Last edited:

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Congrats to all those who received an invitation to the K&S AC! All the best with it!

The rest of us who applied, I guess we are axed ...

@AlexJ - do they send all AC invites on the same day and do they send rejection emails?

• 🤝
Reactions: johnnn821

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Congrats to all those who received an invitation to the K&S AC! All the best with it!

The rest of us who applied, I guess we are axed ...

@AlexJ - do they send all AC invites on the same day and do they send rejection emails?

I think last year all the invites went out at once, but I don’t know that for sure. I don’t know if the people with AC invites are for March 25, as I know they wanted to fill that first.

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    K&S AC ! Thrilled and nervous at the same time since this is my first AC invite. If anyone has any advice on how to approach a K&S AC (or resources to prepare for an AC in general) please DM me, I'll be eternally grateful!

K&S AC too!

K&S AC too! Kinda (read super) nervous since its my first AC. Will be super super grateful if anyone can offer advice re how to approach a K&S AC and/or ACs in general.
    Thank youuu :)

Congrats x3!

Replying on here for fairness and so I don’t have the same conversation multiple times😅

Some tips:

1. Know your application- the interview is not CV blind. I put basic Spanish on my application as a throwaway and was asked about it.

2. Know the firm as much as possible- the interviewer will be looking for a genuine interest in K&S and its work (you won’t get your interviewer in advance).

3. Be comfortable in a group setting. The negotiation task is also a chance to show you can work with others and be effective in a team.

4. The written task was handwritten (at least last year!) so perhaps practice writing something by hand!

Victor87

Star Member
    Apr 19, 2023
    Congrats x3!

Replying on here for fairness and so I don’t have the same conversation multiple times😅

Some tips:

1. Know your application- the interview is not CV blind. I put basic Spanish on my application as a throwaway and was asked about it.

2. Know the firm as much as possible- the interviewer will be looking for a genuine interest in K&S and its work (you won’t get your interviewer in advance).

3. Be comfortable in a group setting. The negotiation task is also a chance to show you can work with others and be effective in a team.

4. The written task was handwritten (at least last year!) so perhaps practice writing something by hand!
    Thank youuu!

• Love
    Reactions: AlexJ

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How should we structure the cover letter for Orrick? It’s 500 words but there are also 2x250 word questions asking what makes this firm different from others/ why the firm and why commercial law? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
    I would focus on “why you” as this would be covered by the other questions.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.