TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
How should we structure the cover letter for Orrick? It’s 500 words but there are also 2x250 word questions asking what makes this firm different from others/ why the firm and why commercial law? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
I would potentially focus on you, discussing your experiences, both academic and professional, and how those will help you become a successful future trainee at the firm specifically.

I would also discuss some features of training at the firm which you might not have been able to discuss in the 250 words question too. This will show your thorough research of the firm as well as your commitment to it too.

trainee2025

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
Day 2500 of repeating the question - has anyone heard anything from HogLov? Or emailed them?
I believe last year they worked through summer VS applications before dealing with TC apps. I think the deadlines were slightly different this year so might not be the same but I wouldn't expect anything yet. Their summer VS deadline is relatively late and will have had a huge number of apps.

Reactions: spamelinazoid

Feb 16, 2024
I believe last year they worked through summer VS applications before dealing with TC apps. I think the deadlines were slightly different this year so might not be the same but I wouldn't expect anything yet. Their summer VS deadline is relatively late and will have had a huge number of apps.
I think you're absolutely correct, I'd just say that they probably shouldn't advertise their TC as rolling in that case

app03

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2022
    Got offered Freshfields TC today!! in complete awe and disbelief - thank you everyone on here for the support and advice. TCLA has been an invaluable and motivational community. There's light at the end of the tunnel after all!

Happy to help anyone in any way, particularly can give insight into Slaughter and May, Freshfields and Travers Smith AC 😊

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Got offered Freshfields TC today!! in complete awe and disbelief - thank you everyone on here for the support and advice. TCLA has been an invaluable and motivating community. There's light at the end of the tunnel after all!

Happy to help anyone in any way, particularly can give insight into Slaughter and May, Freshfields and Travers Smith AC 😊
    Amazing news! Congratulations!

Taylor Swift Yes GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

Jasmine_nicole

Mar 7, 2024
    With the 30 month programme, you do your SQE during the training contract, so you would have between 2024 and 2025 to do the PGDL before starting.
    Hi Jessica.

Do Kennedys allow deferrals to the following year to finish a PGDL if you’ve dropped to part time due to full time working as a litigation assistant? Since Kennedys “sponsor” the PGDL fees would the firm reimburse the fees paid for the PGDL if you’ve already started?! Would this be the case even if a TC offer is made at the end of the first year of PGDL? Thanks

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Got offered Freshfields TC today!! in complete awe and disbelief - thank you everyone on here for the support and advice. TCLA has been an invaluable and motivational community. There's light at the end of the tunnel after all!

Congratulations! This is amazing!!! You deserve it!

Reactions: app03

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.