TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
Oct 18, 2023
I applied for a TC early because there was confusion on the firm's website and application portal over when the deadline was. They have since posted on their LinkedIn that everything is still open but haven't acknowledged the discrepancy. I have some VS outcomes coming up next week which if I get would have looked really good on my application. If I get the offers, should I email the firm to see if I can withdraw and resubmit or would that be seen as unprofessional?

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
Oct 18, 2023
Anyone have any advice on how to go about a direct TC application as opposed to a Vac Scheme App?
I normally take the approach in VS apps that I want to learn more about the firm and want the opportunity to see key areas the firm is good at. For direct TC's I try to present myself as a more finished article, I know why I want to work at the firm and why I will be a good lawyer for them. Sometimes I think it is easier to write TC apps than VS apps.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Great Autumn 2024 and Spring 2025 training contract opportunity here for those who are eligible to start a TC then.

To be eligible, applicants must have a minimum of six months of corporate paralegal experience, have a strong academic record and have successfully completed the LPC or the SQE (I and II).

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Got a PFO before I even did an online test with Baker Mckenzie!!!

Anyone know if there was some criteria that I missed?
Not sure what Bakers are looking for either but maybe very specific criteria. For what it's worth I got rejected to attend an Open Day early on in my career switch which was pretty disheartening but still went on to get a TC - don't dwell on it too much.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey All,

I have some updates to share.

Unfortunately, after 8 beautiful months I am leaving TCLA and it really feels bittersweet. I thoroughly enjoyed being on the forum and connect with likeminded individuals who share my same dream in life to become a lawyer. I was moved, motivated, inspired and encouraged by the beautiful stories of resilience, confidence, strength and self-assuredness that I had the pleasure to read throughout these months on the forum. One of the most beautiful aspects of my job was being able to connect and relate to some many people that went through the same struggles I went through when I was applying to vacation schemes and training contracts. The process is extremely daunting and many feel lonely on their path to become lawyers and so being able to inspire and motivate people with just a post on a forum is the highlight of my year.

Since I got my training contract, I felt like the luckiest person in the world, despite the difficulties I had to face on my journey being an international student from an ethnic minority background. I felt like these two factors would have definitely limited my chances of achieving my dream of becoming a lawyer, but I did not let my fear stop me. This is the kind of feeling I was hoping to share whilst being on the forum. However, I ended up being the one inspired by your stories and I will always be grateful for people who are always transparent about their journeys and struggles, as achieving your goals is not an easy process.

I hope I was able to help people as much as I can and I will always be grateful to TCLA to have given me the chance to help many of my peers sharing my same dreams and goals.

If there is anything I want you to remember from all my posts and my personal journey is to never give up on your dreams, regardless of the thousandth rejections you will receive, the nos you will hear and the struggles you will face. It is never the end until you decide it is the end!

Thank you to everybody,

Best of luck to everyone and their journeys into the legal industry,

Axel

ErickLawson2020

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2023
Anyone have any advice on how to go about a direct TC application as opposed to a Vac Scheme App?

That's a great question regarding tweaking our applications for the direct training contract route.

For firms offering direct TCs, they don't get the chance to watch us in action for two weeks before deciding to hire.
It's a big deal for them since hiring is a huge investment. (GDL, LPC/SQE, tailored training, ongoing training... etc)

ErickLawson2020

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2023
Hey All,

Unfortunately, after 8 beautiful months I am leaving TCLA and it really feels bittersweet. I thoroughly enjoyed being on the forum and connect with likeminded individuals who share my same dream in life to become a lawyer. I was moved, motivated, inspired and encouraged by the beautiful stories of resilience, confidence, strength and self-assuredness that I had the pleasure to read throughout these months on the forum. One of the most beautiful aspects of my job was being able to connect and relate to some many people that went through the same struggles I went through when I was applying to vacation schemes and training contracts. The process is extremely daunting and many feel lonely on their path to become lawyers and so being able to inspire and motivate people with just a post on a forum is the highlight of my year.

Since I got my training contract, I felt like the luckiest person in the world, despite the difficulties I had to face on my journey being an international student from an ethnic minority background. I felt like these two factors would have definitely limited my chances of achieving my dream of becoming a lawyer, but I did not let my fear stop me. This is the kind of feeling I was hoping to share whilst being on the forum. However, I ended up being the one inspired by your stories and I will always be grateful for people who are always transparent about their journeys and struggles, as achieving your goals is not an easy process.

I hope I was able to help people as much as I can and I will always be grateful to TCLA to have given me the chance to help many of my peers sharing my same dreams and goals.

If there is anything I want you to remember from all my posts and my personal journey is to never give up on your dreams, regardless of the thousandth rejections you will receive, the nos you will hear and the struggles you will face. It is never the end until you decide it is the end!

Thank you to everybody,

Axel

Wishing you all the best as you continue to pursue your dreams in the legal world.
Your resilience and determination are truly inspiring!

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
Mar 25, 2024
Hey All,

Thank you to everybody,

Axel
I’ve only been here a week and have already become familiar with you.

Best of luck Axel!

Reactions: axelbeugre

missingh

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2022
Bristows final stage interview invite and i really cannot believe im saying this but finally got a TC offer!!! 🤩 after 40+ rejections over 2.5 years or so, including my biggest blow which was not converting a VS last summer! as cliche as the phrase is, rejection really was redirection! the US law firm rejection (where i did my VS) led me to my current in house internship at a huge media and entertainment company which ultimately led me to this firm. i've been on this forum for years but to anyone reading this- you got this! i was so close to giving up so many times (especially after graduating) but it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when! ❤️

also i couldn't have done this without help along the way so feel free to reach out and i am more than happy to try and help out and give advice where i can! :)

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.