TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Bristows final stage interview invite and i really cannot believe im saying this but a TC offer!!! 🤩 after 40+ rejections over 2.5 years or so, including my biggest blow which was not converting a VS last summer! as cliche as the phrase is, rejection really was redirection! the US law firm rejection (where i did my VS) led me to my current in house internship at a huge media and entertainment company which ultimately led me to harbottle. i've been on this forum for years but to anyone reading this- you got this! i was so close to giving up so many times (especially after graduating) but it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when! ❤️
    So deserved!! Happy for you 😄😄

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: missingh

GWJlaw

Star Member
    Nov 6, 2023
    Bristows final stage interview invite and i really cannot believe im saying this but a harbottle TC offer!!! 🤩 after 40+ rejections over 2.5 years or so, including my biggest blow which was not converting a VS last summer! as cliche as the phrase is, rejection really was redirection! the US law firm rejection (where i did my VS) led me to my current in house internship at a huge media and entertainment company which ultimately led me to harbottle. i've been on this forum for years but to anyone reading this- you got this! i was so close to giving up so many times (especially after graduating) but it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when! ❤️

also i couldn't have done this without help along the way so feel free to reach out and i am more than happy to try and help out and give advice where i can! :)
    So happy for you !! Hope you're celebrating big !

• Love

neonorange

Distinguished Member
    Feb 2, 2024
    Bristows final stage interview invite and i really cannot believe im saying this but a harbottle TC offer!!! 🤩 after 40+ rejections over 2.5 years or so, including my biggest blow which was not converting a VS last summer! as cliche as the phrase is, rejection really was redirection! the US law firm rejection (where i did my VS) led me to my current in house internship at a huge media and entertainment company which ultimately led me to harbottle. i've been on this forum for years but to anyone reading this- you got this! i was so close to giving up so many times (especially after graduating) but it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when! ❤️

also i couldn't have done this without help along the way so feel free to reach out and i am more than happy to try and help out and give advice where i can! :)
    That's amazing, congrats!! I love reading posts like this because I'm definitely in the "lol give up it's not for you" stage of the application cycle so hearing your perseverance paid off is so inspiring.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey All,

I have some updates to share.

Unfortunately, after 8 beautiful months I am leaving TCLA and it really feels bittersweet. I thoroughly enjoyed being on the forum and connect with likeminded individuals who share my same dream in life to become a lawyer. I was moved, motivated, inspired and encouraged by the beautiful stories of resilience, confidence, strength and self-assuredness that I had the pleasure to read throughout these months on the forum. One of the most beautiful aspects of my job was being able to connect and relate to some many people that went through the same struggles I went through when I was applying to vacation schemes and training contracts. The process is extremely daunting and many feel lonely on their path to become lawyers and so being able to inspire and motivate people with just a post on a forum is the highlight of my year.

Since I got my training contract, I felt like the luckiest person in the world, despite the difficulties I had to face on my journey being an international student from an ethnic minority background. I felt like these two factors would have definitely limited my chances of achieving my dream of becoming a lawyer, but I did not let my fear stop me. This is the kind of feeling I was hoping to share whilst being on the forum. However, I ended up being the one inspired by your stories and I will always be grateful for people who are always transparent about their journeys and struggles, as achieving your goals is not an easy process.

I hope I was able to help people as much as I can and I will always be grateful to TCLA to have given me the chance to help many of my peers sharing my same dreams and goals.

If there is anything I want you to remember from all my posts and my personal journey is to never give up on your dreams, regardless of the thousandth rejections you will receive, the nos you will hear and the struggles you will face. It is never the end until you decide it is the end!

Thank you to everybody,

Best of luck to everyone and their journeys into the legal industry,

Axel

We'll really miss you at TCLA @axelbeugre, especially your presence in the office. Thank you for everything you have done for us and for this community.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

This is an amazing testimonial to your perseverance. Huge congratulations!

• Love

Claristered

Mar 17, 2022
    Hi guys! Could you please let me know about your experiences with written case studies and their outcomes please? I just did the case study for Lewis Silkin’s training contract (my first ever) and it could have gone better. I had some very minor formatting issues, I forgot to talk about a point that could have been covered in a sentence and one of my last sentences was not clear. Don’t think I passed it with those mistakes but I don’t really know what to expect. What do you think? Any comments are appreciated!

Last edited:

trainee2025

Star Member
    Nov 3, 2020
    Hi guys! Could you please let me know about your experiences with written case studies and their outcomes please? I just did the case study for Lewis Silkin’s training contract (my first ever) and it could have gone better. I had some very minor formatting issues, I forgot to talk about a point that could have been covered in a sentence and one of my last sentences was not clear. Don’t think I passed it with those mistakes but I don’t really know what to expect. What do you think? Any comments are appreciated!
    Written exercises will be scored in a certain way and I think there’s a misconception that you have to score around 100% to pass them. This isn’t the case at all - a few small mistakes in a written exercise which it sounds like you had might hurt your score in the written exercise a little bit but when balanced with other assessments in the TC process this is unlikely to be terminal overall.

Obviously if you completely bomb a written exercise then it might be more of an issue but I wouldn’t worry about that based off what you’ve said.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Bristows final stage interview invite and i really cannot believe im saying this but finally got a TC offer!!! 🤩 after 40+ rejections over 2.5 years or so, including my biggest blow which was not converting a VS last summer! as cliche as the phrase is, rejection really was redirection! the US law firm rejection (where i did my VS) led me to my current in house internship at a huge media and entertainment company which ultimately led me to this firm. i've been on this forum for years but to anyone reading this- you got this! i was so close to giving up so many times (especially after graduating) but it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when! ❤️

Amazing news! Congratulations

Margot Robbie Clapping GIF by The Academy Awards

• Love

Claristered

Mar 17, 2022
    Written exercises will be scored in a certain way and I think there’s a misconception that you have to score around 100% to pass them. This isn’t the case at all - a few small mistakes in a written exercise which it sounds like you had might hurt your score in the written exercise a little bit but when balanced with other assessments in the TC process this is unlikely to be terminal overall.

Obviously if you completely bomb a written exercise then it might be more of an issue but I wouldn’t worry about that based off what you’ve said.
    Thank you so much! I am really glad to hear that! I still have to do the video interview on Sunday so I am hoping it goes well. Still, it’s where I am worst so any advice would be greatly appreciated as well! Thank you!

desperateTCseeker1998

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2023
    Ashurst's website says this: "
    1st interview and assessment centre
    If your initial application is successful, you will complete a written case study online which will be facilitated by a member of our Early Careers team, designed to test your analytical and problem solving skills.

You will then join us in our London office to take part in a competency based interview with a HR representative and associate/senior associate from one of our practice areas.

You will have the opportunity to meet with our current trainees and take part in an office tour to give you an insight into life at the firm."
    Does this mean if you get through to the written case study you also get the in-person interview? All one stage?

yasmars

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    Ashurst's website says this: "
    1st interview and assessment centre
    If your initial application is successful, you will complete a written case study online which will be facilitated by a member of our Early Careers team, designed to test your analytical and problem solving skills.

You will then join us in our London office to take part in a competency based interview with a HR representative and associate/senior associate from one of our practice areas.

You will have the opportunity to meet with our current trainees and take part in an office tour to give you an insight into life at the firm."
    Does this mean if you get through to the written case study you also get the in-person interview? All one stage?
    For the VS application the In-person interview was the final stage

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    Hey All,

I have some updates to share.

Unfortunately, after 8 beautiful months I am leaving TCLA and it really feels bittersweet. I thoroughly enjoyed being on the forum and connect with likeminded individuals who share my same dream in life to become a lawyer. I was moved, motivated, inspired and encouraged by the beautiful stories of resilience, confidence, strength and self-assuredness that I had the pleasure to read throughout these months on the forum. One of the most beautiful aspects of my job was being able to connect and relate to some many people that went through the same struggles I went through when I was applying to vacation schemes and training contracts. The process is extremely daunting and many feel lonely on their path to become lawyers and so being able to inspire and motivate people with just a post on a forum is the highlight of my year.

Since I got my training contract, I felt like the luckiest person in the world, despite the difficulties I had to face on my journey being an international student from an ethnic minority background. I felt like these two factors would have definitely limited my chances of achieving my dream of becoming a lawyer, but I did not let my fear stop me. This is the kind of feeling I was hoping to share whilst being on the forum. However, I ended up being the one inspired by your stories and I will always be grateful for people who are always transparent about their journeys and struggles, as achieving your goals is not an easy process.

I hope I was able to help people as much as I can and I will always be grateful to TCLA to have given me the chance to help many of my peers sharing my same dreams and goals.

If there is anything I want you to remember from all my posts and my personal journey is to never give up on your dreams, regardless of the thousandth rejections you will receive, the nos you will hear and the struggles you will face. It is never the end until you decide it is the end!

Thank you to everybody,

Best of luck to everyone and their journeys into the legal industry,

Axel
    Wish you all the best and thank you for everything youve done!

Zi48

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    So if you get to the case study you get an interview as well? You don't have to pass the case study to get the first HR interview?
    They might’ve changed it now but yeah, last year they were both in the same stage. I did them on the same day as I had to do the interview virtually cause I was on year abroad, but I think most people had the case study on another day (but wasn’t a separate stage)

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.