TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Realise this is WILDLY outside tc applications (sorry guys for mucking up the new thread) but does anyone have the Smith, Hogan and Ormerod criminal law book 14th ed, who would also be willing to photo like 3 pages for me and pm me please?
I’ve lost my copy (literally don’t ask, it involved 3 dogs and a canal) and really don’t want to buy another one for 40 quid but I need a quote. Would be so grateful! Thanks!

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Realise this is WILDLY outside tc applications (sorry guys for mucking up the new thread) but does anyone have the Smith, Hogan and Ormerod criminal law book 14th ed, who would also be willing to photo like 3 pages for me and pm me please?
    I’ve lost my copy (literally don’t ask, it involved 3 dogs and a canal) and really don’t want to buy another one for 40 quid but I need a quote. Would be so grateful! Thanks!
    I have access to the 15th edition on law trove if that helps any?

Reactions: Hele25

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    if I was rejected by a firm post AC for their VS, should I apply for direct TC? I really like the firm I just know some firms might say apply again next year

This will depend on if the firm allows you to reapply in the same cycle for a TC. Most firms don’t so I think you should email GR to clarify!

Reactions: Legalmel_99

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I guess I don't understand what he means by the fact that the vacation scheme cycle is over, nor why the fact it is 999 pages long means it should be closed!

I think it means that most if not all firms are done recruiting for their 2021 vacation schemes. While the VS thread is often the thread people use to discuss anything and everything including non VS related topics, it can be misleading to continue using it long past the 2021 VS cycle is over (especially if the thread is explicitly called 2020-2021 Vacation Scheme Discussion) The pages point is probably less related - last year’s thread was closed at 300+ pages. We just have more pages this year because of all the gifs and memes. 🤣

Also, I think it does make sense to split the threads according to cycles because it can be very overwhelming for new users to see a thread with over 1000+ pages.

Reactions: JayC and Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It’s a general discussion thread. Posts like the are welcome!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Hele25 and Jaysen

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Invite to Lewis Silkin's pre-selection process (includes a VI, written case study and McQuaig test) :)

Has anyone done a McQuaig test before?

Yes! The McQuaig test is very straight forward. What I recommend is that you write down all the months of the year in order, and all of the letters of the alphabet and number them. It might also be worth writing down a list of the most common number patterns and how they appear.

Reactions: cmaj and TT98

TT98

Star Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Yes! The McQuaig test is very straight forward. What I recommend is that you write down all the months of the year in order, and all of the letters of the alphabet and number them. It might also be worth writing down a list of the most common number patterns and how they appear.
    Thank you so much, this is really helpful :) I have never done a test like this before, I am a bit nervous !!

Reactions: cmaj

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    I think it means that most if not all firms are done recruiting for their 2021 vacation schemes. While the VS thread is often the thread people use to discuss anything and everything including non VS related topics, it can be misleading to continue using it long past the 2021 VS cycle is over (especially if the thread is explicitly called 2020-2021 Vacation Scheme Discussion) The pages point is probably less related - last year’s thread was closed at 300+ pages. We just have more pages this year because of all the gifs and memes. 🤣

Also, I think it does make sense to split the threads according to cycles because it can be very overwhelming for new users to see a thread with over 1000+ pages.
    Fair enough! I figured that I am still waiting to hear back from at least 5 vac scheme apps and also that people have used the thread a lot to discuss how to excel on a vac scheme, which is still relevant until summer...but I guess it was getting a bit unwieldy haha

Reactions: Dheepa

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Fair enough! I figured that I am still waiting to hear back from at least 5 vac scheme apps and also that people have used the thread a lot to discuss how to excel on a vac scheme, which is still relevant until summer...but I guess it was getting a bit unwieldy haha

Yep just makes things a little tidier and the navigation a little clearer, particularly for newer members! I think this'll be easier to see in the future as we'll have a button that links back to all the previous locked threads of the same topic.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.