TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hiya @Jaysen, since this is a general inquiry forum i though I may as well ask my question here :) One direct TC application I’m doing has my CV as an integral part of the application. Are CV’s included as part of the premium service to look over applications? It’s is a main part of their application process, but CV’s are a bit different to the normal “why commercial law?’ questions. Thanks SM :)
    For the time being, yes! @Jessica Booker looks over CVs within the application review team. This would count as one review under your free review per month :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25 and Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm yet to receive a Teams invite for an interview at 9:15am tomorrow. They said it would be "no later than one day before the interview". Is it appropriate to ring now or should I give it more time?
    If you haven’t got it by 2.00pm, give them a call.

• 🤝
    Reactions: jw97

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey guys!

If you have a moment to spare to answer this poll I just created, we would be so grateful.

It is asking you to choose your top three topics you would like the TCLA team to cover in the new webinar series we are working on for you all!

Thank you!!

Reactions: Dheepa

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    If you are keen to understand your strengths and weakenesses more, you may want to complete the free strengths finder test here:

The site has some other interesting/useful content. I have just done the strengths finder and despite doing several of these types of assessments in the past few years, I learnt a thing or two!
    Just did this - super interesting and scarily accurate!

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    This is a very niche question, but is anyone here a final year LLB/on GDL future trainee (or making plans for being a future trainee) and is doing/planning to do paralegal work with the firm they're going to train with? I think I might be offered an opportunity to do so (previously was planning a masters) and wondering about the benefits or disadvantages!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    This is a very niche question, but is anyone here a final year LLB/on GDL future trainee (or making plans for being a future trainee) and is doing/planning to do paralegal work with the firm they're going to train with? I think I might be offered an opportunity to do so (previously was planning a masters) and wondering about the benefits or disadvantages!
    This is me! I'm starting a DispRes paralegal position with travers in July :)

CJM.UC

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2020
    Hello! I haven't heard back from the first stage of the Withers Training Contract interview in quite a while and I was wondering whether I should contact Graduate Recruitment to ask for an update? I had my interview on the 30th of April! :)

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    This is me! I'm starting a DispRes paralegal position with travers in July :)
    OMG this is super lucky someone else is in the same situation and what a coincidence because I think mine also may be in disputes... 🤣 I know it would be amazing experience (and I guess help with the LPC later down the line as well) but I guess I'm kind of daunted by the idea of it since I have no idea what paralegals do really (apart from things like research and administrative duties) and I've already got the imposter syndrome lol. What was your main thought when you decided to take the paralegalling offer? Do you think there can be any disadvantages to that over doing a Masters aside from obviously you're not pursuing academic stuff?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello! I haven't heard back from the first stage of the Withers Training Contract interview in quite a while and I was wondering whether I should contact Graduate Recruitment to ask for an update? I had my interview on the 30th of April! :)
    I’d personally wait another week - maybe contact them start of next week. It will only be 6 working days since you have been interviewed.

Reactions: CJM.UC

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    OMG this is super lucky someone else is in the same situation and what a coincidence because I think mine also may be in disputes... 🤣 I know it would be amazing experience (and I guess help with the LPC later down the line as well) but I guess I'm kind of daunted by the idea of it since I have no idea what paralegals do really (apart from things like research and administrative duties) and I've already got the imposter syndrome lol. What was your main thought when you decided to take the paralegalling offer? Do you think there can be any disadvantages to that over doing a Masters aside from obviously you're not pursuing academic stuff?
    I never wanted to do a Masters personally so it was never really a part of my considerations. I'll be exempt from most of the GDL, so I would have been sitting on my hands for a lot of it anyway, and wanted to just get into a 'proper job' so to speak. For me, it'll be about learning the firm, building relationships, learning the systems, processes etc before my TC starts!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.