TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlotteLegal

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 13, 2020
    Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience doing a vac scheme whilst also being a paralegal at a different firm? I have about 6 forms to fill out tonight (including a medical history form which I think is a tad invasive, not going to lie) for my upcoming VS and I am a bit concerned about how to adequately state my current work (it was in my application but I am doing an internal interests form and it doesn't really fit any boxes so I don't know if it needs mentioning). Has anyone else had to do this? Have your firm/the firm you had a VS at reacted ok? It is worth noting I changed firms/jobs last week so I haven't had a chance to have a full chat with my supervising partner yet - he knows I have been applying for VS'/TCs and I don't think he will have an issue with me taking holiday or doing the VS but I do not know if the firm themselves will be bothered...

Thanks for any help anyone can give, just very worried about saying or doing the wrong thing as the forms all contain very official statements of truth...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience doing a vac scheme whilst also being a paralegal at a different firm? I have about 6 forms to fill out tonight (including a medical history form which I think is a tad invasive, not going to lie) for my upcoming VS and I am a bit concerned about how to adequately state my current work (it was in my application but I am doing an internal interests form and it doesn't really fit any boxes so I don't know if it needs mentioning). Has anyone else had to do this? Have your firm/the firm you had a VS at reacted ok? It is worth noting I changed firms/jobs last week so I haven't had a chance to have a full chat with my supervising partner yet - he knows I have been applying for VS'/TCs and I don't think he will have an issue with me taking holiday or doing the VS but I do not know if the firm themselves will be bothered...

Thanks for any help anyone can give, just very worried about saying or doing the wrong thing as the forms all contain very official statements of truth...
    It will vary from organisation to organisation and even will depend on how close a competitor the two firms are.

But either of them could stop you from being able to complete the scheme. You’ll need to speak to your supervisor as soon as possible to see whether it is going to be feasible. Most employment contracts will state you have to declare any other employment, especially in a regulated role like this. Even if they do allow it, there is likely to be conflict checks needed.

Reactions: CharlotteLegal

CharlotteLegal

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 13, 2020
    It will vary from organisation to organisation and even will depend on how close a competitor the two firms are.

But either of them could stop you from being able to complete the scheme. You’ll need to speak to your supervisor as soon as possible to see whether it is going to be feasible. Most employment contracts will state you have to declare any other employment, especially in a regulated role like this. Even if they do allow it, there is likely to be conflict checks needed.
    Thanks Jessica - I am speaking to my supervisor tomorrow so I will see what he thinks. Would be annoying if I couldn't do it now especially as they only recruit from VS so I'd basically be locked out from applying!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica - I am speaking to my supervisor tomorrow so I will see what he thinks. Would be annoying if I couldn't do it now especially as they only recruit from VS so I'd basically be locked out from applying!
    It might be possible - it happens enough for it to be possible. But I also know the potential obstacles you could face, and depending on the two firm’s policies towards these things, it could also be difficult/problematic

Reactions: CharlotteLegal

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For those who said which direct TC applications to do. Weil said that they will only open applications if they don't fill up all of their places from the vacation scheme. Weil just opened their application for a direct training contract.

Reactions: WRM19 and Law2022

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    For those who said which direct TC applications to do. Weil said that they will only open applications if they don't fill up all of their places from the vacation scheme. Weil just opened their application for a direct training contract.
    Actually they would have opened their TC anyway...The fact that they opened it does not mean that they did not find enough future trainees

Last edited:
    Reactions: Matt_96

katie.c

Oct 7, 2020
    Hello everyone,

I'm in a slightly strange situation and I'm not sure what to do. I have my second vaccine dose 3 days before a vac scheme panel interview and i'm slightly worried as I was quite ill from the first dose. I am wondering as to whether I should email graduate recruitment but im not sure what it would change? I am rather unwilling to move the second dose date as it would be delayed for weeks. Does anyone have any advice? 😅

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Hello everyone,

I'm in a slightly strange situation and I'm not sure what to do. I have my second vaccine dose 3 days before a vac scheme panel interview and i'm slightly worried as I was quite ill from the first dose. I am wondering as to whether I should email graduate recruitment but im not sure what it would change? I am rather unwilling to move the second dose date as it would be delayed for weeks. Does anyone have any advice? 😅
    Hi! Obviously different bodies will react differently but I was super ill from my first one too but had no effect for the second. How long did your side effects last after the first one? Mine went away within 2 days so you could be fine if it is 3 days before?

Good luck for the interview!!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi! Obviously different bodies will react differently but I was super ill from my first one too but had no effect for the second. How long did your side effects last after the first one? Mine went away within 2 days so you could be fine if it is 3 days before?

Good luck for the interview!!
    I have my second dose in a couple of weeks. However, both my girlfriend and my mother in law had their second dose and slept the entire day after their second vaccine. If you feel comfortable inform the GR and they will guide you

Reactions: katie.c and jan28
    A

Anon 11031

Hello everyone,

Hey! I was seriously ill after the first one (AZ) and I had the second one 10 minutes ago, so I'll keep you updated!

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    I have my second dose in a couple of weeks. However, both my girlfriend and my mother in law had their second dose and slept the entire day after their second vaccine. If you feel comfortable inform the GR and they will guide you
    ooo. i wish i had an excuse to sleep the entire day too (and not revise) 😂

Reactions: katie.c

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello everyone,

General rule is AZ makes you ill first dose, while Pfizer tends to make you ill second dose (if you have a reaction at all). You also can have a stronger reaction if you have had Covid before too.

I think you be fine three days afterwards though. Most people feel rough for 24-36 hours if they do have a reaction.

You can always ask to postpone closer to the time if you are concerned. It just seems a bit over cautious to do it now when you could be fine.

Reactions: Jacob Miller and katie.c

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I had Pfizer, and I slept for the pretty much 16/17 hours solid after my second dose.

• Wow
    Reactions: Andrew M
    A

Anon 11031

I had Pfizer, and I slept for the pretty much 16/17 hours solid after my second dose.
    I can relate to this. I had AZ and my first dose was SO bad. I spent 8 hours not even being able to move because my body felt like lead.

Tbh, I'm pretty annoyed that I had AZ anyway. Considering that I'm 23 and a woman. Seemed like a blessing at the time, but my category has been advised to have anything but AZ 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: katie.c

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I had Astra and after the first dose I felt pretty awful. I cursed my girlfriend so much because that was the first week where I felt mentally and physically good after months, but the nearby centre had extra doses and she kicked my butt. I am glad tho and ready for the second dose!

we should plan for a drink guys!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Someone I know has trained to administer the vaccines. Interestingly they said Moderna seems to be the least likely to give you symptoms but that more people have immediate reactions to it - they had loads of people feeling faint/hot/not right within the 15-20 minute “wait” time compared to AZ/Pfizer

• Wow
    Reactions: S87 and karinny
    A

Anon 11031

Someone I know has trained to administer the vaccines. Interestingly they said Moderna seems to be the least likely to give you symptoms but that more people have immediate reactions to it - they had loads of people feeling faint/hot/not right within the 15-20 minute “wait” time compared to AZ/Pfizer
    Yeah, this is true.

Though apparently both Pfizer and Moderna have a much greater chance of anaphylaxis than AZ (in which it's pretty much unheard of). If you have a history of severe allergies they'll usually give you AZ.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I can relate to this. I had AZ and my first dose was SO bad. I spent 8 hours not even being able to move because my body felt like lead.

Tbh, I'm pretty annoyed that I had AZ anyway. Considering that I'm 23 and a woman. Seemed like a blessing at the time, but my category has been advised to have anything but AZ 🤷‍♀️
    If it makes you feel any better, the risk profile for AZ is supposedly still significantly lower than most birth control pills which people take without a second thought. Not great that they gave you a riskier vaccine though :/

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.