TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

erose98

Standard Member
Feb 6, 2021
I have a question on training contract etiquette, which I hope is appropriate to ask here. I've been offered a TC at one firm and I accepted immediately because I know it's the firm I want to work at and have my heart set on. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting to hear the outcome of a different VS I completed for a different firm which I liked slightly less.

Would it be better to email the second firm to tell them that I've already accepted an offer elsewhere, so they can immediately offer my potential spot to someone else, or is it better to wait to hear whether I've been accepted anyway?

Reactions: djqb
A

Anon 11031

I have a question on training contract etiquette, which I hope is appropriate to ask here. I've been offered a TC at one firm and I accepted immediately because I know it's the firm I want to work at and have my heart set on. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting to hear the outcome of a different VS I completed for a different firm which I liked slightly less.

Would it be better to email the second firm to tell them that I've already accepted an offer elsewhere, so they can immediately offer my potential spot to someone else, or is it better to wait to hear whether I've been accepted anyway?
If you're 100% certain you want to work for Firm A, then I would call/email firm B and thank them for their time (and the VS) but tell them that you've received and accepted a TC elsewhere.

To my knowledge, the difference between offering a training contract and not between candidates at VS stage can (sometimes) be quite narrow so you may be giving someone else a chance, as you rightly mentioned :)

Reactions: erose98

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Yes - if you are definitely not going to consider the second firm, you should inform them you are withdrawing your application.

Reactions: erose98

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was just reading an article around SQE which said that Links,Freshfields, NRF, S&M, HSF and Hogan Lovells together form a group called the City Consortium and BPP will be in charge of training future trainees at these firms. So my question is, is every future trainee going to be taught the same thing since BPP isn't going to modify its curriculum? Or are they going to alter it according to different firms? Basically, if I say that I'm applying to Links because of its training , can the same thing now hold true for the rest of the City Consortium members?

Thanks in advance.

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    I've known this news for a while now, but I've now been given permission to share it.

Guys, I got the call.

I've been offered a Training Contract with TLT!

I remember turning up to my first AC wearing £5 ASDA pumps that I'd had to superglue the night before as I couldn't afford to buy a new pair of smart shoes. I genuinely thought it was never going to happen to me, but it did.

I've not been as active on here recently as I felt like I needed to take a break from the online world for my mental health, this in combination with starting a new non-legal job meant I've felt a bit out of touch with the community here but I just wanted to say how much this forum has helped me. All the advice, all the support, all the positivity that this community has given me the past few years has made such a difference.

I think it is important to say that I am not a legal or commercial awareness genius. I worked really hard, and got lucky.

If anyone needs advice there are much more qualified folk, but please feel free to drop me a message. So many people have helped me along the way and its so important to pay it forward! I can't wait to become more active in this community again.

To give you some perspective the past three or so years I must have sent about 100 applications. I sent my first vacation scheme application in 2018. I got two vacation schemes, and one TC offer. You just need one yes.
    congratulations!! this was so heartwarming to read, thank you so much 🥲 here i was thinking im not getting anywhere with 15 unsuccessful apps in my first cycle but it sounds like i'm training for a reaaaaally long applications marathon

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was just reading an article around SQE which said that Links,Freshfields, NRF, S&M, HSF and Hogan Lovells together form a group called the City Consortium and BPP will be in charge of training future trainees at these firms. So my question is, is every future trainee going to be taught the same thing since BPP isn't going to modify its curriculum? Or are they going to alter it according to different firms? Basically, if I say that I'm applying to Links because of its training , can the same thing now hold true for the rest of the City Consortium members?

Thanks in advance.
    There can still be differences in the training but it’s likely the core of the training will be the same across the consortium. However, with the LPC there was a “consortium” of firms whose training was with either UoLaw or BPP but there were still slight differences (like module choices). But it just meant the core of the training/education was the same - for instance you’d be in lectures with other trainees across the consortium for most modules, outside of your firm’s individual preferred modules.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Got it. Just a follow-up question please, can we, now, in our answer to "Why Linklaters/Freshfields/Hogan Lovells" mention things about the training that the firm offers? Because the point about the training now holds true for all the firms that form the part of the Consortium.

Thanks.

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Got it. Just a follow-up question please, can we, now, in our answer to "Why Linklaters/Freshfields/Hogan Lovells" mention things about the training that the firm offers? Because the point about the training now holds true for all the firms that form the part of the Consortium.

Thanks.
    Could be wrong but when firms mention 'training', I was under the impression that they are referring to the training provided during the TC rather than any pre-requisite courses?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Thanks.
    I don’t think this is really true. The training only applies to the SQE prep, not the full training each firm would provide.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Does anyone know of any careers advice services? I’m in need of some guidance. I’ve tried one well known service but I don’t really want to repeat that, because they in no uncertain terms told me to give up and that I was ‘kidding myself’ with my goals because I was non Russel and have less than ideal A-levels due to major illness. 🥲🥲

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know of any careers advice services? I’m in need of some guidance. I’ve tried one well known service but I don’t really want to repeat that, because they in no uncertain terms told me to give up and that I was ‘kidding myself’ with my goals because I was non Russel and have less than ideal A-levels due to major illness. 🥲🥲
    Feel free to PM me.

You can also usually still access your university’s careers service for a few years after you have graduated.

law89

Star Member
    Feb 10, 2021
    I just finished my LPC LLM, so I can provide some insight on the LLM side.

You do 4 electives of your own choice, instead of 3 which would otherwise be Law and Business on the MSc on top of Business Law and Practice as a core module.

For the LLM, you do a PPRR (Professional Practice Research Paper) which ULaw gives 14 sort of 'dissertation titles' you can chose from. They range from business ones to employment law or personal injury etc. You can chose any one title and the title gives instructions on what you should cover, so there's quite a lot of direction - you're not left on your own interpretation on what the title means and what not.

You have 3000 words to write the paper and then an additional 500 words reflecting on how completing the research paper contributed to your learning and development.

They release the title in Feb/March time and you have until early July to submit, so you have a lot of time to do it whether you chose to do it before or after all your exams. I did mine after my exams, there was a week between after all my exams finished and the due date for PPRR.

I can't give much info on MSc, but I believe on our campus LPC groupchat people mentioned doing more personal research and there might be more than one essay you have to write??? I can't be completely certain but if you're ever unsure and want to change from LLM to MSc or vice versa, you can (within reasonable time limits, I changed mine during my first term of the LPC)! I originally chose Msc but I realised business isn't really something I enjoyed too much and I liked how there was more choice when it came to what titles I could chose for LLM.

Hope this helps!
    This was very helpful to read thank you.

Would you say doing the LLM PPRR report is do-able in a week? I'm planning on doing it the same way as you did as keeping up with 4 electives is quite a lot at the same time as working part time and I'd rather not do the LLM report on top of revising for the elective exams if possible. I've written university essays of the same length easily in a week but I've heard the standard for the PPRR is pretty high (?) so wasn't sure.

I was also wondering if anyone knew whether the elective exams for ULaw are 3 or 4 hours long? The official timetable states "3 hours in a 4 hour window" but some tutors have said we have 4 hours to complete the paper?

karinny

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 17, 2021
    This was very helpful to read thank you.

Would you say doing the LLM PPRR report is do-able in a week? I'm planning on doing it the same way as you did as keeping up with 4 electives is quite a lot at the same time as working part time and I'd rather not do the LLM report on top of revising for the elective exams if possible. I've written university essays of the same length easily in a week but I've heard the standard for the PPRR is pretty high (?) so wasn't sure.

I was also wondering if anyone knew whether the elective exams for ULaw are 3 or 4 hours long? The official timetable states "3 hours in a 4 hour window" but some tutors have said we have 4 hours to complete the paper?
    Yes, I would definitely say it is doable within a week! This is because these research papers, I would consider, to be a lot easier than your typical LLB essays. Also because there is a lot of instructions on what you should write in your chosen title. The instructions literally give you the bullet points of what your paper should include therefore your research is easily found because you know exactly what you're looking for! If you want me to send you all the titles from 2021 LLM PPRR, feel free to DM me!

To answer your second question, the elective exams are technically 3 hours long. However, as we have been doing the exams online they give you a 4 hour window to complete and submit it, in case of any technical difficulties. So many of us students do use the whole 4 hours to take the exam because this is permissible.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: law89

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    I am doing the GDL at ULaw atm and they are 3 hour exams but if taken online as opposed to in person you get 4 hours in total before it closes. Mainly as there are delays when accessing it (as everyone is trying to download the paper at the same time) and the same again when uploading at the end. The extra time is to cover any delays like that or IT issues. Technically it would mean that you do have 4 hours in total with the paper

Reactions: law89 and karinny

lawgal101

Esteemed Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker / anyone who can help,

I am just writing a cover letter for a firm, is it best to address the letter to the head of recruitment or recruitment manager for the office that I am applying to?

The online application doesn't specify who the application will be sent to, so I have no idea who will review this. I'm a bit sceptical in addressing the letter to "Sir or Madam".

ELaw2021

Future Trainee
    Apr 27, 2021
    For my GDL module results (distinction overall), I have 6 distinctions, 2 commendations and one 55% result (😥) - does anyone know if the 55% result means I shouldn't bother applying to bigger firms for TCs?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.