TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegallyCE

M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Oct 24, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker and everyone else. I'm actively applying for paralegal roles and saw that there are some interesting paralegal roles at a firm where I have a vacation scheme secured. Do you think it'll work to my disadvantage if I apply for a paralegal position when I have a summer vacation scheme coming up at that same firm? Should I wait until after I've attended the vacation scheme?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker and everyone else. I'm actively applying for paralegal roles and saw that there are some interesting paralegal roles at a firm where I have a vacation scheme secured. Do you think it'll work to my disadvantage if I apply for a paralegal position when I have a summer vacation scheme coming up at that same firm? Should I wait until after I've attended the vacation scheme?
I would try and speak to the paralegal recruiter if you can. I suspect it could be ok if the paralegal job starts after your vac scheme ends, might be more of an issue if the paralegal role starts soon and your vacation scheme is not until July/August.

blairh

Standard Member
Future Trainee
  • May 19, 2020
    Has anyone who applied to the Leeds office for Bevan Brittan not heard yet? A couple of friends have both received PFO’s but I’ve not heard anything. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I even checked my online apply4law account to check (in case I’d missed and email) and nothing.
    I got the Watson Glaser email on Friday for Leeds. I wouldn’t read too much into it though!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25

LegallyCE

M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 24, 2020
    I would try and speak to the paralegal recruiter if you can. I suspect it could be ok if the paralegal job starts after your vac scheme ends, might be more of an issue if the paralegal role starts soon and your vacation scheme is not until July/August.
    Thank you Jessica, I'll speak to them to find out! Yeah, the vacation schemes would be in June and July so it may be better if I wait before applying to their paralegal roles

s.omething

Apr 21, 2021
    Rejected by Dechert following VI.

I knew I f*d the first question (out of only three), but not gonna lie, this one has hit me really hard today. I've only got two other firms to hear back from that I applied to in January (BCLP and Arnold & Porter*)- and I'm pretty sure from what some have said in this thread that A&P have already sent out their invites. By the looks of it I've had my application rejected out of hand, despite having a TC interview with them last year and (though I didn't get it) they said they really liked me and that I should apply again. Now I'm going to have to start a whole new wave of applications for direct TCs. It just feels so daunting. I know most people here will be in the same boat, but just wanted to vent. I do have one vacation scheme to look forward to in June, but that scares me as well because I already had one in January and nothing came of it. HR said I had done really well, but it was between me and another person they thought seemed more committed to their practice areas. I really had tried my absolute hardest, and this is what scares me about the vac scheme I have coming up. I am determined to crush it, but I know that at the end of the day, my best might just not be good enough, and then I'll be back to square one.

I'm turning 30 in a matter of weeks, am about to finish my PhD, and I still have yet to launch my career. And the applications per place ratios just seem to be getting worse. I am just terrified and feel like a failure. Most of the time the rejections wash over me but this time it just really hit me. Sorry don't know where else to say this.

*Edit: three, also Peters & Peters, a boutique firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica, I'll speak to them to find out! Yeah, the vacation schemes would be in June and July so it may be better if I wait before applying to their paralegal roles
    Definitely sounds like the best case really. There’s a good chance the firm wouldn’t give you time off to go work for another firm within a probation period/matter of weeks of joining. I’d start applying for paralegal roles a few weeks before you last scheme ends (recruitment process will usually take at least a few weeks).

• 🤝
    Reactions: LegallyCE

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Rejected by Dechert following VI.

I knew I f*d the first question (out of only three), but not gonna lie, this one has hit me really hard today. I've only got two other firms to hear back from that I applied to in January (BCLP and Arnold & Porter*)- and I'm pretty sure from what some have said in this thread that A&P have already sent out their invites. By the looks of it I've had my application rejected out of hand, despite having a TC interview with them last year and (though I didn't get it) they said they really liked me and that I should apply again. Now I'm going to have to start a whole new wave of applications for direct TCs. It just feels so daunting. I know most people here will be in the same boat, but just wanted to vent. I do have one vacation scheme to look forward to in June, but that scares me as well because I already had one in January and nothing came of it. HR said I had done really well, but it was between me and another person they thought seemed more committed to their practice areas. I really had tried my absolute hardest, and this is what scares me about the vac scheme I have coming up. I am determined to crush it, but I know that at the end of the day, my best might just not be good enough, and then I'll be back to square one.

I'm turning 30 in a matter of weeks, am about to finish my PhD, and I still have yet to launch my career. And the applications per place ratios just seem to be getting worse. I am just terrified and feel like a failure. Most of the time the rejections wash over me but this time it just really hit me. Sorry don't know where else to say this.

*Edit: three, also Peters & Peters, a boutique firm.
    We don't know each other, but from what I've just read now, I think you're amazing and you're going to get that dream phone call soon 😊 You're only 30 years young and you have so much to offer 💕 Go and smash that VS like there's no tomorrow!!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For a commercial issue question, I have seen that lots of people talk about the shift from LIBOR to SONIA is that commercial issue talked about this issue. I wanted to ask if this commercial issue is talked about it to often in applications as more people talk about this in an online application form. Also, should applicants discuss a different commercial issue. Thoughts on this @Jaysen @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For a commercial issue question, I have seen that lots of people talk about the shift from LIBOR to SONIA is that commercial issue talked about this issue. I wanted to ask if this commercial issue is talked about it to often in applications as more people talk about this in an online application form. Also, should applicants discuss a different commercial issue. Thoughts on this @Jaysen @Jessica Booker
    I wouldn’t say it’s a very popular thing to mention in applications. It is quite a specific thing and so really depends on the context of how you are mentioning it/what type of question you are using it for.

law230

Esteemed Member
    Jan 20, 2021
    Dumb question but does anyone know how to fill out a conflict of interests form. For example, it said to put waiter/waitressing jobs down but in those jobs I do not have a specific client so do I just no client or am I missing something?

LegalLordLox

Legendary Member
    Jan 3, 2021
    I only have one vac scheme lined up and I'm worried about putting all my eggs in one basket - am I just overthinking though?
    One is way better than 0! Just prepare as well as you can and focus on being yourself! Think about your USP’s and why you have gotten this far!

Mira a true testament to your ability and character. You’ve done well this year has been a tough one.

Good luck!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I only have one vac scheme lined up and I'm worried about putting all my eggs in one basket - am I just overthinking though?

It's natural to be worried, but you've done really well to get one at all, especially in this cycle, which has been very tough for a lot of us. I'm in the same boat that you are with just one VS (although I'm lucky to still have outstanding interviews for a VS as well as two direct TCs coming up) but the way I'm managing it is just by focusing on what I can control, which is how many other applications I can still make, what I can do to prepare for the scheme, and how to come across in the best light. There's little point worrying about anything else, as the other factors, like the performance of the competition, diversity, the economy etc are totally outside your control.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    One vac scheme will be more than many others will have.

You could seek some informal work experience over the rest of the summer if you think it would be beneficial. But securing additional vacation schemes this summer will be difficult at this late stage.

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    For anyone that’s had an AC with Dechert, when did you receive your timetable/breakdown of the day?

Mine is tomorrow and I still haven’t received it yet so I’m starting to stress a little bit 😭

Reactions: GK8997

Eliana

Star Member
    Apr 11, 2021
    Hi! I was wondering when the vac scheme has been completed and TC decisions are being made, how much weight is given to VS performance vs general application (eg unis/grades etc). Are people generally on a level playing field at VS stage so there'll be a far greater emphasis on VS performance?

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Hi! I was wondering when the vac scheme has been completed and TC decisions are being made, how much weight is given to VS performance vs general application (eg unis/grades etc). Are people generally on a level playing field at VS stage so there'll be a far greater emphasis on VS performance?
    I think from what I understood from my VSs, at VS stage they score you on your performance in the assessments on the VS and your supervisor feedback to make a choice but that may be specific to the firms I did my VSs at

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.