TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
Jan 16, 2021
Just had an interview with two partners for one of my dream firms. I have actually spoken to associates from the firm on many occasions from different departments who have been very friendly and welcoming. However, my experience with the partners was very different. Think my experience from the interview has put me off, certainly from that specific sector. They really didn’t seem like they were interested at all or even engaging with my answers.
Out of curiosity was this a face to face interview or virtual?

A

Anon 11031

I tend to find this abit harder to read people, I spoke to some trainees at a firm and then had a partner interview and I felt like they also didn’t engage as much but I think it’s probably down to it being virtual maybe if it was in person it would be more interactive
I find this with work too. Sometimes people come across as really unfriendly, but I put it down to the fact that 65% of communication is body language and I think everyone is so fed up of Zoom/Teams!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hello! Please could someone point me towards or even link where I can find information / advice on paralegal roles and cover letters? Thank you!

Hey, here's what we have on this!

lawgal101

Esteemed Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    If you get progressed to the next stage, see how those interviews go and see if it feels any different. If you get an offer, maybe ask to connect with some more people within the firm to see what they are like. I personally wouldn’t take one interview with two people (assuming the firm has a fair number of partners/staff) as a clear indication of what the firm is like, and especially if this was over Zoom/Teams (as put frankly lots of partners could do with some training on how to conduct themselves in virtual interviews).

I tend to find this abit harder to read people, I spoke to some trainees at a firm and then had a partner interview and I felt like they also didn’t engage as much but I think it’s probably down to it being virtual maybe if it was in person it would be more interactive

I find this with work too. Sometimes people come across as really unfriendly, but I put it down to the fact that 65% of communication is body language and I think everyone is so fed up of Zoom/Teams!
    Thank you for your responses, they have made me feel better.

I think I just wanted a little reassurance with a bit of nodding as I was chatting away and expected follow up questions to my answers or a response to my answers, instead of “ok”. My virtual interviews that I have attended in the past have certainly been more engaging, so I think I just expected the same.

But I also do agree, guess it is down to the fact that they are not able to use body language virtually.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    OMG Ashurst just emailed saying they will get back to everyone by the end of August so they are another Travers Smith. I am saying this as it is my first time applying for Ashurst and they remind me of Travers Smith.

H S

Distinguished Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hey, here's what we have on this!

Thank you so much!

Reactions: Dheepa

philjones

Feb 4, 2021
    Hi guys, bit of advice needed. I've received a TC offer with a deadline of Tuesday the 10th. Another firm told me they'll get back to me in a few weeks. Is it standard practice to request an extension to the TC acceptance deadline or do firms hate it and it will reflect badly on me? Thanks a lot!

A

Anon 11031

Hi guys, bit of advice needed. I've received a TC offer with a deadline of Tuesday the 10th. Another firm told me they'll get back to me in a few weeks. Is it standard practice to request an extension to the TC acceptance deadline or do firms hate it and it will reflect badly on me? Thanks a lot!
    Have you spoken to the other firm? I would probably notify them of your TC offer and deadline date today first.

Donuttime

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 17, 2021
    Good morning! I have a question. if someone could clear up some legal jargon for me that would be greatly appreciated. What does it mean when a practice area at a firm is "mid-market". For example, a firms corporate practice is mid- market?

Thanks loads

philjones

Feb 4, 2021
    Have you spoken to the other firm? I would probably notify them of your TC offer and deadline date today first.
    Ye so I told them I have a deadline of next week. They initially wanted to get back to me end of August after they've reviewed the direct TC applications (I did a VS). But I'm concerned that if I force them to make a quick decision, they may err on the side of caution (or risk if my self-esteem was healthier 😅) and simply say no.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Good morning! I have a question. if someone could clear up some legal jargon for me that would be greatly appreciated. What does it mean when a practice area at a firm is "mid-market". For example, a firms corporate practice is mid- market?

Thanks loads
    Hey, this refers to the size of the deals in terms of value. So 'mid-market' means deals at a lower value than 'premium' (think hundreds of thousands of pounds vs. millions of pounds, or millions vs. billions).

Reactions: Matt_96 and Dheepa
    A

Anon 11031

Ye so I told them I have a deadline of next week. They initially wanted to get back to me end of August after they've reviewed the direct TC applications (I did a VS). But I'm concerned that if I force them to make a quick decision, they may err on the side of caution (or risk if my self-esteem was healthier 😅) and simply say no.
    I don't think you'll be forcing them to make a quick decision - don't worry! Letting them know might just give them a little push.

Since you only have 3 working days, including today, I would be honest and contact the firm that's given you a TC offer. Explain that you're waiting on one more outcome and ask if they can kindly extend your deadline.

If they say no, you can always accept their offer and reject it later down the line (providing that they had made no financial commitments or payments towards any courses at this point).

Reactions: philjones

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Call the second firm and let them know you have a TC deadline on Tuesday. Tell them that you intend to ask the first firm for an extension of the deadline (the firm will not hate you for asking, it's very common practice) however you need to know an exact date that you will hear back so you can ask for a realistic time frame to consider both offers.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes - the best thing to do is to ask for an extension but be prepared for the firm to say no. You can the accept and renege the offer if you haven't received any financial support from the firm or have started the onbaording processes for law school/the SQE.

Reactions: philjones
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.