TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When asked to explain my CV at an interview, what approach would be best?

My CV is 2 sides of A4, starting with a brief introduction, followed by education, work experience, skills and hobbies.

I feel as though it’s hard to keep my answer brief as my CV is rather detailed.
What three things from your CV do you want your recruiter to remember? Focus on them (it really doesn’t matter what it is, as this is just what YOU want them to remember).

Reactions: lawgal101

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Most firms would consider that an equivalent for minimum requirements. Generally it will need to be across three full A-levels sat in the same year though.
Thank you, @Jessica Booker . Do you think most firms with these requirements would see getting A*BB as a slight red flag? (In other words, will I be disadvantaged by having secured A*BB instead of the AAB)

miso

Jun 4, 2021
as a trainee what sort of practical things are we expected to do?

for example, when I was doing my work experience in a large international law firm my trainee buddy went round asking their department if anyone wanted tea quite often

so I'm just wondering if there are any unspoken things we should be doing, like having to make tea all the time for people?

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020

for example, when I was doing my work experience in a large international law firm my trainee buddy went round asking their department if anyone wanted tea quite often

so I'm just wondering if there are any unspoken things we should be doing, like having to make tea all the time for people?
    I don't think tea-making is a particularly prominent aspect of the role - it's more likely just common workplace courtesy that you saw, whereby if you're making a cuppa (or getting a coffee etc) for yourself, you ask around. Happens in most workplaces as far as I have experienced.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

That trainee will have been the exception. Trainees shouldn’t be making tea, unless it just so happens to be their turn (eg everyone in the department makes tea on occasion and are just polite in asking a other people if they would like one while they are up).

Most firms have tea/coffee machines, or even cafes in their offices, so it’s not like it takes much time of effort for anyone to get their own drink.

CJCH

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 2, 2020
    Hi, hope everyone enjoyed the bank holiday! 😊

I've got a question regarding SQE resources. I'll start my TC/graduate apprenticeship incorporating the SQE course in 2023. As I'm just having a full time job currently, I feel like I can make use of the spare time to prepare for the SQE. Would anyone know how I can start the preparation? I am thinking about reading some self-study materials like the ULaw study manuals. However, I wouldn't sign up for any preparation course as I will have the course funded by the firm in 2023.

@Jessica Booker , would you have any recommendations? :)Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think it’s about 11 TC’s lower
    Could be a range of reasons:

- strong staff retention
    - less work through the London office (could be for positive reasons like outsourcing/technology efficiencies etc)
    - other talent routes (eg apprenticeships)
    - SQE providing more flexible options (eg less TCs but offering shorter periods of QWE where they don’t have to commit to 2 years)

The way to find out why would be to ask the firm directly at an event.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Legal Cheek’s first virtual law fair is next week and registrations are currently open:

I’d encourage you to sign up given the variety of firms attending. Gives you all a great opportunity to ask questions to the firms you want to apply to or who you are considering.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can this be included in the application anywhere?

Thanks
    Not really - it’s just an event that 100s/1000s of people will attend. You might have a conversation at the event that could be very briefly referenced, but I think that is about the extent to what you could say, unless you are explicitly asked to list the careers events you have been to.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Not really - it’s just an event that 100s/1000s of people will attend. You might have a conversation at the event that could be very briefly referenced, but I think that is about the extent to what you could say, unless you are explicitly asked to list the careers events you have been to.
    Just a follow-up question, please. Going by this logic, should we also not include the online virtual sessions that the firms are going to be conducting and the Forage programs that these firms have? Because even these can be done by anyone? Would be great if you could please clarify.

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just a follow-up question, please. Going by this logic, should we also not include the online virtual sessions that the firms are going to be conducting and the Forage programs that these firms have? Because even these can be done by anyone? Would be great if you could please clarify.

Thanks
    Attending a careers fair is very different to completing a forage programme or attending an open day. Forage will require a 5-6 hour commitment of training - a careers fair is just you chatting to some people.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.