TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C10

Future Trainee
Aug 17, 2020
I wondered if anyone who has done the LPC full-time (with a September start) at ULaw could share an overview of the timetable? Or if possible an example of last year's timetable? I've found an overview of LPC dates and exams but am looking for more detail to help plan weeks where I would not need to be in person on campus.

Otherwise, if anyone could share roughly when mock exams for the LPC were held in 2021/22 that would also be much appreciated!

legalgemma

Distinguished Member
Jan 11, 2022
I wondered if anyone who has done the LPC full-time (with a September start) at ULaw could share an overview of the timetable? Or if possible an example of last year's timetable? I've found an overview of LPC dates and exams but am looking for more detail to help plan weeks where I would not need to be in person on campus.

Otherwise, if anyone could share roughly when mock exams for the LPC were held in 2021/22 that would also be much appreciated!

Hi I’m just finishing off the LPC at ULaw now having started in September. I didn’t do the masters which adds an extra module so just something to bear in mind but this is how my year looked:

First semester, I had 3 core modules which you will have to do, plus a module on introduction to professional practice for the first I think 10 weeks? Each workshop is 2 hours long, and there’s one workshop per week for each module. So my timetable was

Monday 9am - 11am real estate
Monday 11:15am - 1:15pm introduction to professional practice (this stopped after 10 weeks)
Tuesday 9am - 11am BLP
Tuesday 11:15 - 1:15pm dispute resolution

this lasted until about 4 weeks after Christmas so end of jan ish, then there are exams for those.

Then second semester I had 3 electives (if you do the masters you’ll have four) and that looked like:

Tuesday 9am - 11am elective 1
Tuesday 11:15am - 1:15pm elective 2
Wednesday 9am - 11am elective 3

some of my friends had theirs more spaced out and you may have to be in more days, but I also know people who were able to talk to timetabling and swap workshops so that they only travelled into uni 1/2 days.

I’ve attached a pic of our year planner from this year IMG_4770.jpeg which shows holidays and reading weeks etc. If you need any other info please just DM me! Happy to help

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
As always, thank you so much for your response Jessica!

Sorry for another question: for applications where they ask about "What do you feel will be the biggest challenges for the legal sector over the next 12 months?" or "What will be the biggest challenge for our firm in the next year?" - would my answer have to be novel and original, or could I repurpose what someone from the firm has mentioned in a webinar/panel talk? Would I need to mention that I learnt this info from the talk?
The crux of this question is whether you can demonstrate your commercial awareness and link it to ➡️ your industry/firm research. The info from the talk in isolation to a link between the sector/firm will not answer the question, which is why it doesn't really matter if your chosen challenge is novel. You can pick any challenge/info you've learnt in a talk or elsewhere as long as you explain why it's a crucial challenge in the short term, how it will impact the legal sector/firm and how they can/will need to respond to it effectively. This explanation is where your independent thinking will have a chance to shine through. Does this make sense?

Reactions: lawnoob

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
I would try to apply more of your independent thought to the answer - I am sure many applicants are likely to repeat something someone else said.

It doesn’t have to be completely novel or new - some trends are clearly more obvious than others and therefore are likely to be mentioned. But explaining why they are important is likely to have different opinions/views on or can be described differently. That’s where independent thought can really shine through.

Therefore I think it needs to go slightly further than just repurposing what someone else has said - for instance, is there different analysis you can provide even if it comes to the same conclusion?
The crux of this question is whether you can demonstrate your commercial awareness and link it to ➡️ your industry/firm research. The info from the talk in isolation to a link between the sector/firm will not answer the question, which is why it doesn't really matter if your chosen challenge is novel. You can pick any challenge/info you've learnt in a talk or elsewhere as long as you explain why it's a crucial challenge in the short term, how it will impact the legal sector/firm and how they can/will need to respond to it effectively. This explanation is where your independent thinking will have a chance to shine through. Does this make sense?
Thank you both!! This is really good insight :) Really helps to break it down into what the interviewer actually intends behind the question.

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

C10

Future Trainee
Aug 17, 2020
Hi I’m just finishing off the LPC at ULaw now having started in September. I didn’t do the masters which adds an extra module so just something to bear in mind but this is how my year looked:

First semester, I had 3 core modules which you will have to do, plus a module on introduction to professional practice for the first I think 10 weeks? Each workshop is 2 hours long, and there’s one workshop per week for each module. So my timetable was

Monday 9am - 11am real estate
Monday 11:15am - 1:15pm introduction to professional practice (this stopped after 10 weeks)
Tuesday 9am - 11am BLP
Tuesday 11:15 - 1:15pm dispute resolution

this lasted until about 4 weeks after Christmas so end of jan ish, then there are exams for those.

Then second semester I had 3 electives (if you do the masters you’ll have four) and that looked like:

Tuesday 9am - 11am elective 1
Tuesday 11:15am - 1:15pm elective 2
Wednesday 9am - 11am elective 3

some of my friends had theirs more spaced out and you may have to be in more days, but I also know people who were able to talk to timetabling and swap workshops so that they only travelled into uni 1/2 days.

I’ve attached a pic of our year planner from this year View attachment 4165 which shows holidays and reading weeks etc. If you need any other info please just DM me! Happy to help
Thank you SO MUCH! This is so kind of you to share, I really appreciate you taking the time to outline everything!

Reactions: legalgemma
Hi. I’m new to the corporate law academy. I’m going into second year soon and will be making vac scheme applications following a few first year insight schemes/ days this year. I was wondering what I should be doing over the summer to build up my knowledge around practice areas and commercial awareness generally?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi. I’m new to the corporate law academy. I’m going into second year soon and will be making vac scheme applications following a few first year insight schemes/ days this year. I was wondering what I should be doing over the summer to build up my knowledge around practice areas and commercial awareness generally?
There are some practice area specific virtual work experience programmes on platforms like Forage that can be a good way to learn a bit more about the work and develop your commercial knowledge. I’d also look out for any events/webinars over the summer run by law firms or any of the media suppliers (like Legal Cheek) too.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @hopefullyafuturetrainee welcome to TCLA! You've done so well by posting here and engaging with the wider community 👏👏👏 I'm linking a thread I created recently where you might find some inspiration!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021

Bestkid98

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 22, 2020
Hi guys, what are common tasks a vac scheme student would complete in a PE seat?
When I did a PE seat on a vac scheme, I drafted stock transfer forms, certificate of shares transfers, amending a article of association, drafting a section 431 election, amending board minutes. You may also get asked to do some research or find directors, charges on companies house.

You could get involved in a lot more than I did - I hope that helps :)

julia_2022

Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 23, 2022
Would be great if I could get some advice on this :) I’m due to begin the LPC in September and want to get a part time job, for example in retail, while I study. I would not be working any more than 12 hours a week. Is this feasible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.