TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone,

Here is the master thread for all general discussion in the 2021-22 cycle. This is often best suited for discussion that does not fit into vacation scheme and direct training contract application queries.

Useful Links
    TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (for vacation scheme applicants)
    TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion 2021-22 (for direct training contract applicants)
    General Discussion Thread #2 (last cycle's general discussion thread)

Best,

Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What generally counts as an advisory seat during your TC?
    Difficult to say clearly as this definition will vary between firms. For instance, I know of Corporate advisory seats - it’s just the work the team does is always advisory rather than transactional. This means they keep clients up to date on things influencing their market, new legislation and how it will impact them ahead of it actually happening. Other firms will considering advisory seats as those that advise on transactions’ elements (eg employment, tax, IP, competition) rather than process a transaction itself.

Reactions: Dheepa and W

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    But why do they say advisory seats have better hours?

I think it's because transactional teams work in peaks and troughs - meaning when there is a deal you have several weeks where you're constantly working late into the AMs until closing/signing and when you don't have a deal you leave much much earlier. Advisory/contentious seats allegedly see a more consistent flow of work so you'll have the occasional late finish but you're typically leaving maybe around 8/9 PM (obviously this is just a guesstimate).

Reactions: W

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    But why do they say advisory seats have better hours?
    Because they are not transactional. The advisory work is often done ahead of the transaction to formulate it or is done even ahead of the transaction even starting - the advisory work may have triggered the transaction for instance.

Transactional work tends to be long hours as you are bringing all the different strands together to get it over the line at a very fixed point of time/date. There just isn’t the same volume of time pressure in advisory seats, although you can still be brought in last minute and late to advise on something that gets highlighted as an issue close to a transaction’s deadline.

You’ll work long hours compared to most industries in a advisory seat still, but as Dheepa has said, it’s likely to be less peaks and troughs of work. However, at the same time if you are in an under staffed advisory team this could all go out the window and you could be working longer hours than other teams just where there is more work for you to do (it probably just has less of a time pressure to it, but it still needs to be done).

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , hope you are doing well. I was reading a random application tip which was something on the lines of "if the firm offers a mandatory seat, show them how it appeals to you". My question here is that how can a mandatory seat appeal to anyone at all? if anything, it blocks your chance to have explored an area of your preference because now, you only get to choose 3 seats and not 4.

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , hope you are doing well. I was reading a random application tip which was something on the lines of "if the firm offers a mandatory seat, show them how it appeals to you". My question here is that how can a mandatory seat appeal to anyone at all? if anything, it blocks your chance to have explored an area of your preference because now, you only get to choose 3 seats and not 4.

Thanks.
    Because the mandatory seat will be in an area you are interested in, and therefore it is guaranteed you will experience it. If it wasn’t mandatory, other trainees could get a seat in an area you are interested in over you.

Obviously the big question is whether the mandatory seat(s) is in an area you have true interest in though.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    Do you guys think it's more beneficial to do practice SJT (third-party ones) or more beneficial to go over what a particular firm looks for in a trainee and then attempt the test?

Alex3107

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Does anyone have any advice on doing the LPC full time while working part time as a paralegal? I go to Cambridge so I’m used to a very high workload, but I’m not sure if it’s actually doable, or if if I would have to give up on everything to do it.

The paralegal job would potentially be with the firm I have a TC with (it’s still super early days, but I’m just interested curious at this point).

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Does anyone have any advice on doing the LPC full time while working part time as a paralegal? I go to Cambridge so I’m used to a very high workload, but I’m not sure if it’s actually doable, or if if I would have to give up on everything to do it.

The paralegal job would potentially be with the firm I have a TC with (it’s still super early days, but I’m just interested curious at this point).
    I'm not sure how much work the LPC is but I'm currently doing the GDL while working as a paralegal and I'd say avoid it if you can, especially if your firm is paying you a maintenance grant. I just really wouldn't recommend it, especially if you're doing an accelerated LPC. I'm coming to the end of it now and I have never been so exhausted. You're better off just getting a sense of your workload first and seeing how that goes, and if you really need the extra cash you can always consider doing some part time work down the line.

Reactions: OB and lawgal101

Alex3107

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Jan 28, 2021
    I'm not sure how much work the LPC is but I'm currently doing the GDL while working as a paralegal and I'd say avoid it if you can, especially if your firm is paying you a maintenance grant. I just really wouldn't recommend it, especially if you're doing an accelerated LPC. I'm coming to the end of it now and I have never been so exhausted. You're better off just getting a sense of your workload first and seeing how that goes, and if you really need the extra cash you can always consider doing some part time work down the line.
    Thanks so much, this is really helpful!

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Thanks so much, this is really helpful!
    I just want to add (as I've seen this question come up a few times already) that one thing people don't take into account is the fact that even as a paralegal, your workload can fluctuate a lot. For example, as a dispute resolution paralegal, I spent the first month of my GDL barely studying because I was working through multiple nights and weekends on a huge case (even though, at that point, I was supposed to be working 'reduced' hours). So keep that in mind when you're thinking of doing full time or even part time paralegal jobs while studying :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.