TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do you guys think it's more beneficial to do practice SJT (third-party ones) or more beneficial to go over what a particular firm looks for in a trainee and then attempt the test?
Definitely the latter.

A generic SJT will only help you prepare to understand the format of the questions you could be asked. Any answers a generic SJt gives you could actually be the complete opposite to the “right” answers for each firm you apply to

Reactions: OB and tt_xo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have any advice on doing the LPC full time while working part time as a paralegal? I go to Cambridge so I’m used to a very high workload, but I’m not sure if it’s actually doable, or if if I would have to give up on everything to do it.

The paralegal job would potentially be with the firm I have a TC with (it’s still super early days, but I’m just interested curious at this point).
Personally wouldn't advise it unless the firm is guaranteeing your hours will be fixed.

Many Oxbridge candidates can find the shift in learning styles quite problematic with the GDL/LPC so it isn't just the volume of work to consider but the very different methods in which you have to absorb course content and then be assessed on it.

Reactions: OB

RemyT

Standard Member
  • Dec 4, 2020
    I recently had an interview where I was asked How many mobile phones do you think are in use in London? I really struggled with this and wondered if anyone had any advice on how to answer questions like this so I can improve next time.

D

Deleted member 2707

I recently had an interview where I was asked How many mobile phones do you think are in use in London? I really struggled with this and wondered if anyone had any advice on how to answer questions like this so I can improve next time.
    So I would approach this using the market size approach- I learnt this for my consulting interviews. Basically I would start by estimating the London population size. Then I would separate them into two categories, those who use mobile phones and those who don't. For the sake of this exercise, lets assume its 80% uses a mobile phone and 20% doesn't- since it's a working city, I erred on the higher side. You could then do some basic maths (using the London population size, to figure out how much the 80% is. However, I would then account for the fact that some individuals have 2 mobile phones, one for work and one for leisure and factor this in- perhaps only 20% of the 80% of phone users are currently doing this so just account for this in the final answer!

I hope this helps :)

Reactions: CT, OB and RemyT

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    We did a webinar on these type of question last month, and went through this but across the UK rather than London.

There isn't a right or wrong answer to this. They are just trying to see if you can factor in variables and come to some form of logical conclusion.

When we did the seminar we factored in:

- Population size
    - Age of population
    - How many people may have multiple phones
    - Whether non-working phones are included, or are we just talking about phones connected to a network (not the old devices you have stored in cupboards/draws)

We then did very rough calculations to make it easier.

Eg rounded 67 million to 70.
    Divided age ranges into 10 (0-10, 11-20…. 91-100)
    We then removed the bottom and top age ranges as unlikely to have phones
    We estimated 10% of the remaining age groups might not have a mobile phone
    We estimated 80% of those with a mobile phone either have an active second phone (eg for work) or due to device upgrades etc

We got to a figure of 90 million based on this. When we looked it up it was 81 million (based on active subscriptions) so we didn’t feel this is way off.

With these answers it is more about explaining the assumptions you are making and what you are factoring in/what you aren’t, and coming to some fairly quick conclusion on it, rather than fundamentally being right or wrong.

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    I got rejected for a paralegal role today at NRF, no surprise as I didn’t have all the prerequisites but it was the only part time thing I could find. Anyway, the email states that there may be other roles available more suited to my skills and that they encourage me to review their careers page. Is this likely to be generic? I got past app stage for tc with them before so I wonder if it’s to do with that?

• 🤝
    D

Deleted member 2707

In an M&A, how can the buyer protect itself against potential litigation from the target company? I have thought of indemnity clause, warranty that there are no existing litigation claims, buying just the asset (only if the buyer is interested in one of the target company’s product and not the firm itself)? What other options am I missing?

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    In an M&A, how can the buyer protect itself against potential litigation from the target company? I have thought of indemnity clause, warranty that there are no existing litigation claims, buying just the asset (only if the buyer is interested in one of the target company’s product and not the firm itself)? What other options am I missing?
    Some form of additional liability insurance to protect the buyer and mitigate any potential litigation issues.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it advisable to email partners & GR (thanking them) after having completed an assessment centre (if they interviewed you)?
    It isn’t necessary.

If you want to do it, that’s fine. Just keep it short.

But you really don’t have to do this - there is no benefit of doing it.

Reactions: djqb

Adrian_Healey

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 14
  • Oct 18, 2020
    Has anyone done the online (as in meant to be online) versions of the GDL at UoLaw or BPP?

My firm allows me to choose which one and I'm a bit stuck. On one hand, BPP seems to have particularly bad reviews RE their online systems, at least for courses that were meant to be in person in 2020. On the other, UoLaw's online course is longer (end date in September as opposed to June), which I'm not sure is a good thing. Other than that the two sound fairly similar.

Would appreciate anyone weighing in!

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    Has anyone done the online (as in meant to be online) versions of the GDL at UoLaw or BPP?

My firm allows me to choose which one and I'm a bit stuck. On one hand, BPP seems to have particularly bad reviews RE their online systems, at least for courses that were meant to be in person in 2020. On the other, UoLaw's online course is longer (end date in September as opposed to June), which I'm not sure is a good thing. Other than that the two sound fairly similar.

Would appreciate anyone weighing in!
    I am nearing the end of the online GDL at ULaw, feel free to drop a message with any questions!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Adrian_Healey

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    It isn’t necessary.

If you want to do it, that’s fine. Just keep it short.

But you really don’t have to do this - there is no benefit of doing it.
    Thanks Jessica.

Would a simple LinkedIn connection request with a short message be ok then in your opinion?

Sorry if this is a very dumb question.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica.

Would a simple LinkedIn connection request with a short message be ok then in your opinion?

Sorry if this is a very dumb question.
    Email is fine - no reason to do it via LinkedIn. If you haven’t got their email, then don’t worry about it.

Most people just send a thank you to the generic graduate recruitment inbox if they do it.

ibs97

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2020
    q for people who are paralegals or have done some paralegalling in the past – if you have a VS with the firm is it generally ok to ask for time off to complete the scheme?

contemplating trying to find a paralegal position and differing my LLM (abroad) place for a year to try TC recruitment again but I'm not sure what would "look better" when I'm reapplying – if anyone has any thoughts/experience w this I'm keen to hear it!

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    q for people who are paralegals or have done some paralegalling in the past – if you have a VS with the firm is it generally ok to ask for time off to complete the scheme?

contemplating trying to find a paralegal position and differing my LLM (abroad) place for a year to try TC recruitment again but I'm not sure what would "look better" when I'm reapplying – if anyone has any thoughts/experience w this I'm keen to hear it!
    I don't think I would recommend deferring your LLM to maybe try to source a paralegal job. I'm not sure where you are in your studies (law, non-law, LPC done or not) but even if you scored a TC in this upcoming cycle for a 2023/2024 start, you'd still have to do your masters which is a full year AND then any other courses right after it, which all in all will take up quite a bit of time. Even if that's not an issue, I think in the current market you'll be a more attractive candidate for a paralegal job if you've taken the time to specialize (provided your specialization is relevant to the position you're applying for).

Also, don't underestimate how difficult it is to get back to studying once you've taken time out to work. It is not easy.

TL;DR don't defer your LLM.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.