TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

psr23

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Sep 15, 2020
Has anyone previously interviewed with Lawyers on Demand (LOD)? I have a "chat to get to know me better" on Friday. I've got no how to prepare/what to expect. I applied for a Commercial Paralegal role but haven't done the LPC/secured a TC/got prior experience which I thought were all prerequisites to work for them. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

• 🏆
Reactions: sm2020 and OB

Jxmxs00

Premium Member
Jan 21, 2021
Does anyone have any advice on practising applying Porters' 5 forces for a case study exercise? I've been trying to integrate it when reading the news as I normally would but was just curious other creative ways people have practised it. Thanks :)))

Badawy

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 19
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Does anyone have any advice on practising applying Porters' 5 forces for a case study exercise? I've been trying to integrate it when reading the news as I normally would but was just curious other creative ways people have practised it. Thanks :)))
    Not necessarily the answer you’re looking for - but in my experience I don’t think you need to worry too much about its incorporation, but rather just understanding the high level concepts behind it.

The 5 forces are great for your business acumen and for analysing the straightforward commercial concepts of a case study, but I did not have an experience that required anything further than this.

In my experience with case studies, I always think about the ‘whys’ - e.g. why is this deal happening? Why this target? Why now? Why in this way? Etc.

Porters 5 forces are also great for teasing out these questions, and thinking about the answers. I would recommend using it to nail the basics - don’t try and complicate things, you will get caught out!

Always better to do the small things perfectly, than try to impress with the big things.

Just my experience though. Hope it helps.

Reactions: OB and Jxmxs00
    D

Deleted member 2707

Is it okay to use an example already mentioned in my application form to answer an interview question? Stumped on the question of "tell me about a time you've suggested a new approach to tackle a problem".

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Does anyone have any advice on doing the LPC full time while working part time as a paralegal? I go to Cambridge so I’m used to a very high workload, but I’m not sure if it’s actually doable, or if if I would have to give up on everything to do it.

The paralegal job would potentially be with the firm I have a TC with (it’s still super early days, but I’m just interested curious at this point).
    I paralegal full time currently and will continue to be fulk time while doing a couple of GDL modules (long story...) this year. I'll drop to probably 3 days a week while doing the LPC, which I've been told will be pretty full on, but personally thrive when I'm under a bit more pressure to be honest.

A lot of people focus solely on the LPC while doing it, I know a few people who work 2 days a week, I don't think 3 days is unheard of but I think it's getting towards the upper limit of what it's reasonable to do without sacrificing horrific amounts of sleep etc - having done that plenty of times before I can attest to it being miserable, so would advise against massively over-stretching if possible.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Is it okay to use an example already mentioned in my application form to answer an interview question? Stumped on the question of "tell me about a time you've suggested a new approach to tackle a problem".
    If you really have to it's not the end of the world, but try and avoid it unless it is strictly necessary.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    In an M&A, how can the buyer protect itself against potential litigation from the target company? I have thought of indemnity clause, warranty that there are no existing litigation claims, buying just the asset (only if the buyer is interested in one of the target company’s product and not the firm itself)? What other options am I missing?
    W&I's are the biggest thing here - remember that, if you're suggesting resorting to an APA that could add enormous amounts of cost and hassle to the deal, so be aware of the implications of your suggestions.

Try not to overcomplicated these things either, keeping it simple is generally the most commercially viable approach.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Are you using exactly the same detail as in your application? If so, I’d avoid it. But people recycle example all the time - they just are talking about different elements within that example. If you can do that, then it’s fine (as long as you are not recycling for multiple questions in an interview).

Mea

Star Member
    Apr 5, 2019
    Does anyone have any advice on doing the LPC full time while working part time as a paralegal? I go to Cambridge so I’m used to a very high workload, but I’m not sure if it’s actually doable, or if if I would have to give up on everything to do it.

The paralegal job would potentially be with the firm I have a TC with (it’s still super early days, but I’m just interested curious at this point).
    I worked 20 hours from home as a paralegal and did the LPC FT. Because both were from home, I could just manage. I had to quit my job after a few months. It wasn't great: I had to study at weekends and evenings. I had a timetable planning every hour and it was horrible.

My friend worked at the same job and she did a whole year with it whilst doing the LPC (she is super organised). She achieved a high distinction and was able to be social, so it is possible. You just have to be super organised and stay on top of the readings!

• Wow
    Reactions: WRM19 and Holly
    A

Anon 11031

I worked 20 hours from home as a paralegal and did the LPC FT. Because both were from home, I could just manage. I had to quit my job after a few months. It wasn't great: I had to study at weekends and evenings. I had a timetable planning every hour and it was horrible.

My friend worked at the same job and she did a whole year with it whilst doing the LPC (she is super organised). She achieved a high distinction and was able to be social, so it is possible. You just have to be super organised and stay on top of the readings!
    Hearing this is making me dread starting the LPC! My work have refused to reduce my hours from 22 to 15, but they did say they can be flexible.

When did you quit? I'm starting to think it's not even worth trying!

D

Deleted member 2707

If you really have to it's not the end of the world, but try and avoid it unless it is strictly necessary.
    Thank you Jacob!
    Are you using exactly the same detail as in your application? If so, I’d avoid it. But people recycle example all the time - they just are talking about different elements within that example. If you can do that, then it’s fine (as long as you are not recycling for multiple questions in an interview).
    Thank you Jessica. I have one example that has quite a lot of elements to it- eg: working in teams, working with a difficult person, when I handled a crisis and had to make a snap decision. It is mainly because I was quite dedicated to the organisation and worked on multiple projects with them for about 9 months. Should I still limit myself from relying on this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jacob!

Thank you Jessica. I have one example that has quite a lot of elements to it- eg: working in teams, working with a difficult person, when I handled a crisis and had to make a snap decision. It is mainly because I was quite dedicated to the organisation and worked on multiple projects with them for about 9 months. Should I still limit myself from relying on this?
    An example isn’t a position. An example will be a project within a position, and so it sounds like you could actually be using different examples anyway.

taiwoa

Future Trainee
  • Aug 13, 2021
    Hearing this is making me dread starting the LPC! My work have refused to reduce my hours from 22 to 15, but they did say they can be flexible.

When did you quit? I'm starting to think it's not even worth trying!
    It’s definitely worth trying if this is something you want. I worked full time whilst completing my LPC. It wasn’t easy (studying evenings and weekends) but it was worth it. Good habits and a decent dose of motivation will carry you through the stress so as long as you have that you’ll be okay.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.