Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are well. Could you please tell me, when people say their VIs had 'Commercial questions', what do they really mean? Am I expected to know the details of individual news stories doing the rounds or does the term 'Commercial questions' mean questions like 'Why do companies engage in M&A?' or 'What are the differences between warranties and indemnities?'
Commercial questions can mean a broad range of questions including the types you have listed above. They are not necessarily specific in the way you are suggesting.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I've a question re TCLA & Amex Internship. For the commercial new story q, does it have to be related (directly/indirectly) to Amex?
    Happy to hear your thoughts @Jaysen
    While I don't have an insight into what they looking for, I would say no. My view is they would have asked you to link it to American Express if they wanted to.

Reactions: F12M34L

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Would you say that having a mandatory corporate seat is fairly common across most firms or is it not that common and should be highlighted while expressing your motivation for the firm? Thanks.
    It really depends on the firm - with some it’s more common than others.

Even when it is though, it isn’t always necessary to highlight it as a motivation - if you aren’t that interested in corporate work, then there is no point in referencing it just for the sake of it. If you are interested in the work, then yea, you can mention it. But you don’t have to highlight any factor just because it is present.

• ℹ️

lawyering

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 29, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker hope all is well! I was hoping to get your advice on conflict checks for a vac scheme. Specifically, I have been asked to “clarify if you recall doing any substantive work for any clients at the below prior employers” and quite unsure on how to approach these:

- 2-week vacation scheme during which I did work on and see live client matters. Some of those clients are listed on the firm’s website and others are not. I am most concerned about disclosing an UHNW client - I remember the associate saying this was confidential even within the firm

- Citizens Advice - this was back in 2020/21 and I don’t know how I’d be able to access any client names now

- Law Centre - here I helped on a university public law project for two terms concerning a disadvantaged group in the local community, but I don’t know if there was a ‘client’ as such?

- Legal placement - back in 2018, again in a local community and wouldn’t be able to access names, only involved shadowing in a pro bono clinic

Would really appreciate your thoughts!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker hope all is well! I was hoping to get your advice on conflict checks for a vac scheme. Specifically, I have been asked to “clarify if you recall doing any substantive work for any clients at the below prior employers” and quite unsure on how to approach these:

- 2-week vacation scheme during which I did work on and see live client matters. Some of those clients are listed on the firm’s website and others are not. I am most concerned about disclosing an UHNW client - I remember the associate saying this was confidential even within the firm

- Citizens Advice - this was back in 2020/21 and I don’t know how I’d be able to access any client names now

- Law Centre - here I helped on a university public law project for two terms concerning a disadvantaged group in the local community, but I don’t know if there was a ‘client’ as such?

- Legal placement - back in 2018, again in a local community and wouldn’t be able to access names, only involved shadowing in a pro bono clinic

Would really appreciate your thoughts!
    Unfortunately I am not best placed to advise on this, but I would expect the last three to not be an issue unless you are working for a legal aid firm for your TC.

I would try to speak to someone at the VS firm regarding the issue around confidentiality and how the firm typically manages this process. It will be something they have to consider with all incoming employees and so will deal with this regularly and can advise.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was reading one of your posts on "How to convey to Grad rec that you want to start earlier and want to be put in an earlier intake" and your advice was to convey the message at the time of the final interview or once you receive the offer. Just wanted to understand, when should we talk about this in the final interview and even if we talk about this to GR at the interview stage, won't it look odd given that we won't even have any certainty at that stage? Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was reading one of your posts on "How to convey to Grad rec that you want to start earlier and want to be put in an earlier intake" and your advice was to convey the message at the time of the final interview or once you receive the offer. Just wanted to understand, when should we talk about this in the final interview and even if we talk about this to GR at the interview stage, won't it look odd given that we won't even have any certainty at that stage? Thanks.
    It only needs to be a brief mention - it’s not like it will take long to reference this. You can either do it at the end of the interview when you ask questions, or at the end of the day if you are saying goodbye to graduate recruitment, you can just reference it then. You are not demanding it, you just say something like “if it is a positive outcome from today, if there is any opportunity to start in an earlier intake, I would be interested in considering this where I would be available to start from Month Year”

• ℹ️

lawyering

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 29, 2020
    Unfortunately I am not best placed to advise on this, but I would expect the last three to not be an issue unless you are working for a legal aid firm for your TC.

I would try to speak to someone at the VS firm regarding the issue around confidentiality and how the firm typically manages this process. It will be something they have to consider with all incoming employees and so will deal with this regularly and can advise.
    Hi Jess, thanks so much for your reply! As suggested, have reached back out to the firm and provided an overview so they can advise.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker when answering a questions about a practice area of interest - are there specific points I should touch on in an interview?
    No specific points as such, it’s just about explaining why it is of interest to you personally. You can leverage your experience or interests to showcase you have explored why it is of interest to you.

Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

ztyh

Premium Member
    Jun 22, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker is it alright for me to interview grad rec to ask when they’ll get back to me around 1+ week after my final interview? I did my interview last Tuesday & kinda need to hear back from them by next Wednesday. I have another potential commitment (not vac scheme) that clashes w the scheme & I have to make a decision about that other commitment by next Wednesday :/ I am worried of coming off as forcing them to make a decision & don’t want to risk being rejected because of this. At the same time I kinda need them to make a quick decision!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker is it alright for me to interview grad rec to ask when they’ll get back to me around 1+ week after my final interview? I did my interview last Tuesday & kinda need to hear back from them by next Wednesday. I have another potential commitment (not vac scheme) that clashes w the scheme & I have to make a decision about that other commitment by next Wednesday :/ I am worried of coming off as forcing them to make a decision & don’t want to risk being rejected because of this. At the same time I kinda need them to make a quick decision!
    You can contact them and explain you have to make a decision on another commitment by Wednesday and so you would appreciate if they could come back to you before then or if they could advise when you will hear back otherwise.

legallyblonde500

Standard Member
    Jan 14, 2023
    @Jessica Booker or anyone with experience in securing a TC after working as a paralegal after graduating, I would really appreciate your advice! I am graduating in June and have secured a paralegal job at a boutique commercial litigation firm in London to start in July. Obviously, I am happy about this but the firm currently does not offer SQE sponsorship, so I am still looking at TC/VS as a route to qualification. I did 6 applications this year (Reed Smith got through to VI; King & Spalding rejected; Herbert Smith rejected after passing test; Hogan Lovells rejected because of WG; Pinsent Masons rejected; Fieldfisher rejected)

I have a 74% average (and will likely graduate with a 1:1), non-russel group university; two extracurriculars (VP of university society; and committee member of an external commercial awareness organisation); completed relevant work experience during university;

Is there any advice on how to make my applications stand out this upcoming cycle? I know I definitely need to work on the watson glasor, but in terms of the application form, I even worked on some with my university's career service and still had very little success. I'm feeling a little discouraged especially because I know I will have even less time to complete the applications while working (I want to submit at least 7 this cycle). Happy to hear people's thoughts on how to approach this cycle!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.