Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What are some reasons why a firm would reduce their trainee intake? Is it necessarily a negative sign?
There are many positives of a smaller intake, including the chances of securing a NQ role upon qualification being higher. A smaller intake is not necessarily a bad thing.

You could assume it’s because client demand is down, but it could also be where they have offloaded admin responsibility through outsourced/offshore/inshore methods, or through the use of technology.

It could also be that more people are being retained upon qualification and staying with the firm, rather than losing 10-20% of people because they don’t meet the standard or because they jump ship to another firm.

It could also be due to the SQE - maybe they are looking to allow more people to qualify internally through alternative methods to a training contract. As individual teams can effectively employee their own trainees too (there is no need for centralised graduate recruitment any more), then it could be that some departments are not looking to take rotational trainees but are hiring their own people too.

If I had the opportunity to network with the firm, it would be reasonable to ask why numbers have been reduced.

christmastree123

Dec 24, 2018
@Jessica Booker Hi, I am a future trainee who has an interview for a paralegal role at a different firm. If during the paralegal interview I am asked about my vacation scheme and training contract, should I say that I have a training contract for 2024? This paralegal role is permanent and not fixed term so I am worried that if they know I am a future trainee they won't offer me the paralegal role

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi, I am a future trainee who has an interview for a paralegal role at a different firm. If during the paralegal interview I am asked about my vacation scheme and training contract, should I say that I have a training contract for 2024? This paralegal role is permanent and not fixed term so I am worried that if they know I am a future trainee they won't offer me the paralegal role
How long do you think you will be in the role before starting either the LPC, SQE, or TC?

AKKU

Standard Member
Aug 14, 2022
Hi, has anyone done the Ulaw Msc? I'd appreciate any insight to the following quick questions

1) We have to do a presentation on our report. Is it up to us to structure this how we see fit ? Ulaw hasn't given us guidance yet. Do we just talk about our presentation, or do we get questions beforehand. This is for the oral report. First time doing it in a Uni capacity.

2) Was the report part quite mathematic? I found the Law and Business part quite mathematical,but for the report, do we need to use any calculations or formulas etc or anything? Suppose this is bit of a silly Q, but just wanted to cover my bases

I made another thread for this, but thought I'd post here. If these break the forum rules, please do let me know.

sa174m

• Jul 3, 2022
    I have a question regarding grades of a self-funded course.

If you receive a TC offer but have already self-funded your PGDL and got the necessary requirements on your undergraduate degree, if your grades come out and (worst-case scenario) you failed and exam or got a mere pass, does that risk you losing your offer?

The offer didn't state a grade for the PGDL, it only said that a 2.1 undergraduate with a PGDL is required for non-law.

I did fairly well in my first semester but second semester was really tough and I have no idea what to expect when grades come out.

J.E TCLA

Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2022
    This is exceptionally complicated due to the variables unfortunately, and it will depend on how the firm is supporting you/whether they have preferred suppliers/their start dates etc. However, if the firm is saying 2025 though, I suspect they have worked this out, and they are right about this.

If you do a PGDL with no SQE1 prep included, I would expect the earliest time scale to be roughly the following, assuming you had to pass the SQE before starting with the firm and based on the current regularity of when you can sit the SQE assessments:

Graduate from your degree - summer 2023
    Start PGDL - September 2023
    Finish PGDL - June 2024
    Start SQE course - late summer 2024
    Sit SQE1 - January 2025
    Sit SQE2 - end of July 2025

SQE2 results are taking 14 weeks to come through though, so if you couldn't start until knowing you had passed, you might not be able to start until end of October/beginning of November 2025.

However, there are some combined PGDL and SQE1 prep courses (typically MA level courses labelled up with SQE1 prep included). If you went with one of these, then the timeframes could be:

Graduate from your degree - summer 2023
    Start PGDL + SQE1 prep course - September 2023
    Sit SQE1 exam - July 2024
    Start SQE2 prep course - summer/early Autumn 2024
    Sit SQE2 - end of January 2025
    Be ready to start TC from early May 2025
    Hi Jessica
    Thanks for your reply. I am interested in these GDL + SQE1 courses. Where could I find one of these?

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

If you receive a TC offer but have already self-funded your PGDL and got the necessary requirements on your undergraduate degree, if your grades come out and (worst-case scenario) you failed and exam or got a mere pass, does that risk you losing your offer?

The offer didn't state a grade for the PGDL, it only said that a 2.1 undergraduate with a PGDL is required for non-law.

I did fairly well in my first semester but second semester was really tough and I have no idea what to expect when grades come out.
    What's the firm's guidance on when you need to have completed the PGDL? This could also be mentioned in you offer letter.

If no minimum academic requirement for the PGDL has been mentioned, a pass should likely be fine, but I would confirm this with the firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

A fail is likely to impact your offer just because you would need to retake the course and are then are likely to not be able to start your TC by the time your intake is due to start.

Given the terms of your contract you have mentioned, as long as you pass there shouldn’t be a problem.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.