TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

lpcstudent2021

Feb 15, 2022
Hey all, would love a bit of advice.

I finished the LPC recently and attained decent grades to finish up my education ( Very strong A levels, 2:1 from Exeter, Distinction in the GDL, Commendation on the LPC) and have ended up taking a role as an M and A compliance analyst for a financial services firm. I know it's not a paralegal role, but was better paid and had a better contract duration than the initial paralegal roles I was being offered hence why I took it.

However, since starting it, I find that I don't enjoy the work I do. I cannot fault my team, the actual workplace, or the exposure I'm getting, the job itself just isn't for me. I was told it would be based on paralegal /support roles by a recruiter, but it's quite different from any skills I used on the LPC and I feel it doesn't play to my strengths. I'm also concerned law firms may ask why I didn't go straight for paralegal roles after I finished the LPC. Should I stick with the job for a year to gain corporate experience whilst applying for TCs/ Vac Schemes or just move over to a paralegal role in a couple of months? Would be grateful to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey all, would love a bit of advice.

I finished the LPC recently and attained decent grades to finish up my education ( Very strong A levels, 2:1 from Exeter, Distinction in the GDL, Commendation on the LPC) and have ended up taking a role as an M and A compliance analyst for a financial services firm. I know it's not a paralegal role, but was better paid and had a better contract duration than the initial paralegal roles I was being offered hence why I took it.

However, since starting it, I find that I don't enjoy the work I do. I cannot fault my team, the actual workplace, or the exposure I'm getting, the job itself just isn't for me. I was told it would be based on paralegal /support roles by a recruiter, but it's quite different from any skills I used on the LPC and I feel it doesn't play to my strengths. I'm also concerned law firms may ask why I didn't go straight for paralegal roles after I finished the LPC. Should I stick with the job for a year to gain corporate experience whilst applying for TCs/ Vac Schemes or just move over to a paralegal role in a couple of months? Would be grateful to hear anyone's thoughts on this.
I think you'd possibly find the same frustrations with many paralegal roles! I don't think a law firm would look any differently at your current role compared to a compliance role in all honesty - they will know that many people go into non-paralegal roles due to salary or other considerations. That is not a bad thing.

I guess it really depends on how much you don't like your job as to whether you should move or not. But I personally wouldn't move if the only reason for doing so is how you perceive how a recruiter may consider your current role.

Reactions: lpcstudent2021 and AvniD

Phoebe Turner

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 16, 2020
Hi all, i was wondering if anyone has done Linklaters CAPP test and can give me any pointers?
Hi, I kept a screenshot of the ‘agile mindset’ open when completing the test. I chose my instinctual response for the extremes (e.g. most/least likely), but referred to the agile mindset as reference point to help me choose between middle options. I passed to be invited to the open day:) good luck!

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD and Jessica Booker

Hani

Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 22, 2020
Hi, I kept a screenshot of the ‘agile mindset’ open when completing the test. I chose my instinctual response for the extremes (e.g. most/least likely), but referred to the agile mindset as reference point to help me choose between middle options. I passed to be invited to the open day:) good luck!
Thank you that is very helpful !

Reactions: Phoebe Turner

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello, everyone. Any idea on how we can make our work experiences punchier and more substantial without quantifying anything? The issue that I have is that not all experiences lend themselves to something quantifiable so I am a little worried about how I can avoid making my work experience entry plain and boring.

Thanks in advance.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hello, everyone. Any idea on how we can make our work experiences punchier and more substantial without quantifying anything? The issue that I have is that not all experiences lend themselves to something quantifiable so I am a little worried about how I can avoid making my work experience entry plain and boring.

Thanks in advance.
Can you talk about something you achieved? A task you completed, a system that you simplified or developed, something you assisted on that went on to be successful?

Just because you cannot quantify something doesn't mean it's plain and boring but try to write your work experiences in a manner that shows that you were intentional about your involvement and contributions and that at the end of the day, you learnt something, contributed to a project's success, supported a team etc.

Does this help?

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Can you talk about something you achieved? A task you completed, a system that you simplified or developed, something you assisted on that went on to be successful?

Just because you cannot quantify something doesn't mean it's plain and boring but try to write your work experiences in a manner that shows that you were intentional about your involvement and contributions and that at the end of the day, you learnt something, contributed to a project's success, supported a team etc.

Does this help?
Thank you so much for this answer, Avni. This was definitely helpful.

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

legallybrunette22

Aug 3, 2022
Hi, just had a question regarding paralegal jobs! On Monday I saw a Paralegal role advertised on LinkedIn (it said 'posted 2 hours ago')- I have spent a few days working on my application and went to submit it today but was unable to because the firm is no longer hiring for the role. Is it usual for firms to close their paralegal recruitment so soon? Many of the vacancies I have seen don't have an application deadline- is there a general rule for how long these vacancies will be available or would you just recommend applying for positions as soon as you see them rather than waiting a few days? Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

@Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, just had a question regarding paralegal jobs! On Monday I saw a Paralegal role advertised on LinkedIn (it said 'posted 2 hours ago')- I have spent a few days working on my application and went to submit it today but was unable to because the firm is no longer hiring for the role. Is it usual for firms to close their paralegal recruitment so soon? Many of the vacancies I have seen don't have an application deadline- is there a general rule for how long these vacancies will be available or would you just recommend applying for positions as soon as you see them rather than waiting a few days? Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

@Jessica Booker
Yes, this is very normal unfortunately. Paralegal roles can have very short application periods. For many roles, you only need to apply with a CV, so I would apply immediately if that is the case.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.