Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have recently started a new job (last week) and I want to add it to the work experience section for an application but I don’t exactly know what to say since I’m still training.
You can include it - just keep the description very short and focused on the key responsibilities you know you will have

Reactions: AvniD and ShayAS

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just some information for Gold subscribers.

For the 1-2-1 monthly advice calls, I will now be adding my availability on a weekly basis rather than monthly. We are receiving an increased number of rescheduled and cancelled appointments, which limits the number of opportunities available (as ultimately those who cancel/schedule are taking slots other people could book), and so we will be only adding availability on a weekly basis to reduce this. Availability for next week (up to the 9th of January) is now live if you do want to book in.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
I did work experience at Slaughter and May in April 2018, a Vac Scheme at Debevoise & Plimpton in July 2019 and a Vac Scheme at Travers in December 2020. Is it worth applying for TCs and VSs now? I was 25 in June

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I did work experience at Slaughter and May in April 2018, a Vac Scheme at Debevoise & Plimpton in July 2019 and a Vac Scheme at Travers in December 2020. Is it worth applying for TCs and VSs now? I was 25 in June
Are you currently working and if so would you be able to get the time off to attend vacation schemes?

Age is not a barrier to vacation schemes - I have had people in their 30s, 40s and even their 50s on vacation schemes before.

Vacation schemes are just more practical for those who are still studying, but doesn’t mean people who have graduated cannot apply to them/succeed in obtaining them.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've been self employed doing tutoring for the last three years. I did a Masters in Journalism but didn't do especially well and wonder if I can leave it off the application
I’d still include it. You don’t have to do well in postgraduate courses, especially if they are non-law.

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    Hi, I wanted some opinions on working in the UK. Based on the news across the past few months, the UK is heading towards a recession this year - coupled with the cost of living crisis, high inflation rates, energy crisis etc. There aren't any assured predictions about when this would end. Brexit has also caused several major companies to either move out of the UK or suspend operations temporarily.

I'm just wondering - what impact would this have on law firms, especially for training contracts starting in 2025? Could this lead to firms reducing 2025 training contracts or laying off employees? Since major companies are leaving the UK, is it possible that the UK would no longer remain a financial centre in a few years?

As an international student, there is a lot at stake while deciding to move to the UK. So these considerations may majorly impact my applications for TCs/VSs.

Would love to hear the TCLA community's opinion on this! @Jessica Booker @AvniD @Jaysen please let me know if you have any thoughts too!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I wanted some opinions on working in the UK. Based on the news across the past few months, the UK is heading towards a recession this year - coupled with the cost of living crisis, high inflation rates, energy crisis etc. There aren't any assured predictions about when this would end. Brexit has also caused several major companies to either move out of the UK or suspend operations temporarily.

I'm just wondering - what impact would this have on law firms, especially for training contracts starting in 2025? Could this lead to firms reducing 2025 training contracts or laying off employees? Since major companies are leaving the UK, it possible that the UK would no longer remain a financial centre in a few years?

As an international student, there is a lot at stake while deciding to move to the UK. So these considerations may majorly impact my applications for TCs/VSs.

Would love to hear the TCLA community's opinion on this! @Jessica Booker @AvniD @Jaysen please let me know if you have any thoughts too!
    Things are going to be tough - there is no doubt about that, but I think the same will be said about many other countries. A lot of the issues you mention are not unique to the U.K.

And there are still companies investing or growing their operations in the UK. You only have to look at Shell relocating it’s HQ to London from the Netherlands.

But the legal industry is one of the great stabilisers to the U.K. economy, and I don’t see that changing. A lot of the world like using our legal system for their global entities. It’s probably the second most used jurisdiction in the world after the US.

And many firms are kept busy by the bad times as much as they are the good. And they need lawyers to do that counter-cyclical work.

Finally, too many firms have been burnt in the past by cutting their trainee intakes and then not having enough NQs when markets pick up. Trainees are much cheaper than qualified lawyers, and so hedging your bets and keeping trainees is generally a much cheaper option. If anyone gets laid off it will be the mid level associates rather than the trainees.

By the time you started your training contract, the U.K. is likely to be a different set up. Most likely we will see a Labour government in charge and I suspect things will be a little more rosey than they are now. By the time you qualify, it is likely the UK economy will be picking up and in a period of growth.

Will there be better opportunities elsewhere? Undoubtedly. But the great thing about being an English qualified lawyer is that it can take you a lot of places. The same can’t be said for a lot of other jurisdictions.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Life&Law, AvniD and IT7

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    Things are going to be tough - there is no doubt about that, but I think the same will be said about many other countries. A lot of the issues you mention are not unique to the U.K.

And there are still companies investing or growing their operations in the UK. You only have to look at Shell relocating it’s HQ to London from the Netherlands.

But the legal industry is one of the great stabilisers to the U.K. economy, and I don’t see that changing. A lot of the world like using our legal system for their global entities. It’s probably the second most used jurisdiction in the world after the US.

And many firms are kept busy by the bad times as much as they are the bad. And they need lawyers to do that counter cyclical work.

Finally, too many firms have been burnt in the past by cutting their trainee intakes and then not having enough NQs when markets pick up. Trainees are much cheaper than qualified lawyers, and so hedging your bets and keeping trainees is generally a much cheaper option. If anyone gets laid off it will be the mid level associates rather than the trainees.

By the time you started your training contract, the U.K. is likely to be a different set up. Most likely we will see a Labour government in charge and I suspect things will be a little more rosey than they are now. By the time you qualify, it is likely the UK economy will be picking up and in a period of growth.

Will there be better opportunities elsewhere? Undoubtedly. But the great thing about being an English qualified lawyer is that it can take you a lot of places. The same can’t be said for a lot of other jurisdictions.
    This is very reassuring, thank you so much Jessica!! I really appreciate it!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker I have to do conflicts checks for my upcoming VS. However, I’m struggling with how much detail to give on the form, since some of the clients I work with in my job are private individuals and I don’t know whether I should name them or perhaps the firm that represented them instead?
    I would try to speak to someone at the firm about this - the people who work in the conflicts check department will be able to give more guidance as to what is appropriate to provide. It is fine to ask the firm for clarification on this.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineecity

Aga123+

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    Hi everyone, does anyone know any good sources/articles/TLCA resources that help explain restructuring and a law firm's role in restructuring?
    (Thanks in advance)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Reactions: samni

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.