TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS31

Distinguished Member
Jan 23, 2021
The deadline will be 23.59 tomorrow - it’s a badly worded description.

Call the firm first thing in the morning to see if the deadline can be extended. Also try to contact the video interview platform provider to see if they can provide tech support. They are usually available 24/7.
Thank you so much Jessica, tech support was able to help me out and I completed the VI :) Fingers crossed now for a good result!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker

Baker McKenzie's application asks us to "list other work experience or career events you have attended" - does this include networking events and law fairs and Bright Network virtual internship experience events?
Yes, all great things to include in this section. You don’t really have to explain the events, just focus on the factual detail of the event/when it was and what you took away from it (the latter part can be done collectively, rather than individually if you would prefer).

Reactions: pfoapplicant

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
Yes, all great things to include in this section. You don’t really have to explain the events, just focus on the factual detail of the event/when it was and what you took away from it (the latter part can be done collectively, rather than individually if you would prefer).
Thanks so much - just to add, if the word limit is 500 words, do you think it would be an issue if my response only stretched to 250 words or so (given that the question says only to talk about the details and responsibilities of the career events "if necessary")?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks so much - just to add, if the word limit is 500 words, do you think it would be an issue if my response only stretched to 250 words or so (given that the question says only to talk about the details and responsibilities of the career events "if necessary")?
No, that’s not a problem at all.

You can also include any part-time/holiday jobs and volunteering roles in this section too if you haven’t included them in your work experience section

Reactions: pfoapplicant

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    The wait is the worst! I felt so anxious in the weeks and months leading up to the outcome of my applications. I didn't have the same scheduling stresses as yours, but I can completely empathise as I had to do my applications and interviews to UK time while being in India, which meant that the panic of missing deadlines or scheduling interviews at weird times of the day in India was really stressful.

Patience is indeed a virtue, but please vent any stresses you have so that you're not burdened by them- we're all here for you! I hope you hear back sooner than you think- I'm rooting for you! 😇
    Thank you so much for your kind words, Avni. So reassuring to hear that I am not alone in my thoughts, it's easy to forget this sometimes! :)

Reactions: DTB and AvniD

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Simmons WVS PFO. Last year I trailed off in the middle of two answers in the VI and made it to AC. This year, I thought I did well but didn’t pass.

Honestly, I’m reaching the point where I cannot understand what GR is looking for. I have good relevant experiences, a decent education, follow all the advice here and generally out there, get my applications checked, but I’m not getting anywhere. There doesn’t really seem to be a technique to crack, now it just feels like a lottery.

Ugh sorry for the moaning!

Last edited:

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Has anyone done Cleary's Watson Glaser test earlier? What is it like? Is it the traditional questions or more personality based like A&O? Any tips will be extremely helpful.
    If its a Watson Glaser then it is a standardised critical reasoning test. There would be no personality elements?

Reactions: Rob93

letmeintolaw

Distinguished Member
    Nov 11, 2021
    Does anyone have any success stories of people with poor A levels securing TCs? I got ABC and all my other academics are strong (gcses, undergrad and postgrad) but I still feel like they hold me back - advice????

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.