TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aspiring Solicitor 007

• Feb 13, 2021
    Hi guys,
    I'm unsure what the best way to order/list work experiences is. I've completed a few legal internships, worked with a startup on their business development and owned a business.
    I'm confused as to whether I should
    A] Mention non legal experiences first, followed by legal experiences - to show transferable skills and commercial experience; or
    B] Mention the legal experiences first, followed by non legal ones - to demonstrate an understanding of what working in law entails (I'm a non-law applicant)
    I'd be grateful if you could share your thoughts
    @Jessica Booker @James Carrabino @George Maxwell @AvniD would love to hear your perspectives

PS am I overthinking this?

Last edited:

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi guys,
    I'm unsure what the best way to order work experiences is. I've completed a few legal internships, worked with a startup on their business development and owned a business.
    I'm confused as to whether I should showcase work placements where I developed commercial skills to make a strong impression, or demonstrate an understanding of what working in law entails (I'm a non-law applicant).
    @Jessica Booker @James Carrabino @George Maxwell @AvniD would love to hear your perspectives

I'd put down everything you can and if you have more experiences than space on your application form, put down only the ones that you 1) learnt the most from and 2) demonstrate skills/qualities most relevant to a career in commercial law. Note that these experiences don't have to be legal in nature at all- there are plenty of transferable skills one can pick up from non-law careers and roles.

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    Did anybody else apply to the Macfarlanes dinner with the senior partner, and receive an email saying it was cancelled? A bit confused as I’ve seen online that some people attended virtually?

Aspiring Solicitor 007

• Feb 13, 2021
    I'd put down everything you can and if you have more experiences than space on your application form, put down only the ones that you 1) learnt the most from and 2) demonstrate skills/qualities most relevant to a career in commercial law. Note that these experiences don't have to be legal in nature at all- there are plenty of transferable skills one can pick up from non-law careers and roles.
    Thank you @AvniD
    Sorry I wasn't clear in asking the question, I meant to ask which experiences should I list first, and which ones I should mention subsequently.
    Editing the earlier post for brevity😬

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys,
    I'm unsure what the best way to order/list work experiences is. I've completed a few legal internships, worked with a startup on their business development and owned a business.
    I'm confused as to whether I should
    A] Mention non legal experiences first, followed by legal experiences - to show transferable skills and commercial experience; or
    B] Mention the legal experiences first, followed by non legal ones - to demonstrate an understanding of what working in law entails (I'm a non-law applicant)

I would include everything and put them in reverse chronological order with the most recent first, so your reader can see your route.

If on a CV, you can create separate sections for different types of work experience, but that doesn’t translate as well for online application forms.

Reactions: AvniD

kmax301

Esteemed Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    I haven't heard from Bird & Bird since submitting my application on 28/10. Should I follow up? The deadline for Summer VS is 15/12.
    Unfortunately, I think it's a PFO. I applied around the same date and never heard back. However, I know that other people who applied at the same time got VI invitations and I think even AC invitations. That being said, of course, you should never lose hope.

Reactions: h1, OB and GXA123

sibs23

Legendary Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    I got the VI invite for Bird & Bird last night and I'm super nervous for it as I usually fail at this stage with my applications. Does anyone have any advice please? Are the questions mostly competency with 1 minute to prepare and 1 minute to answer?

• 🏆
    Reactions: GK8997, OB and ZaraB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.