TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
They’re looking for your awareness of emerging markets - for this question India is always a good bet. As of now no large global law firms have offices in India - due to a certain piece of Indian legislation but if you do your research around this it should pay off!
Hi - just wanted to point out that India would be a bad answer only because foreign law firms are not legally permitted to physically operate in India. However, firms do advise on Indian deals from offices outside India and can operate within India only on a "fly in, fly out" basis. Basically, domestic Indian firms have a stranglehold on physically operating in India and advising on Indian law matters.

This was reaffirmed by the Indian Supreme Court in 2018: https://www.mondaq.com/india/perfor...e-of-law-by-foreign-lawyerslaw-firms-in-india

Ks36

Star Member
Dec 14, 2021
Has anyone got any stories of fumbling part of a VI and still progressing? Had my first ever this morning, with one really rough Q (messy answer, awkward silence at the end) but the second I think went really well. Trying to stay hopeful.
I think I completely fumbled my Reed Smith video interview - got a couple points across but just felt so waffley. Even if you don’t get to the next stage - which you may I would just take it as a learning curve

Reactions: GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hi everyone! when a firm asks you where they should open their next office in an interview is this a hypothetical question or do you have to know all their offices and suggest a new one? i am asking this because i have an interview coming up and this firm in particular has offices almost in every country in the world so am really struggling to find a new one?
You could open more than one office in a country - so it could be in a different city/region in a country where they already have an office.

Try to think of ways in which having an office in a particular location (city/state/region) may help to support a growing number of clients in that area.

I would try to avoid stating somewhere they already have an office though, as you won’t be answering the question and may possibly be asked to rethink if you did provide that answer

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi - just wanted to point out that India would be a bad answer only because foreign law firms are not legally permitted to physically operate in India. However, firms do advise on Indian deals from offices outside India and can operate within India only on a "fly in, fly out" basis. Basically, domestic Indian firms have a stranglehold on physically operating in India and advising on Indian law matters.

This was reaffirmed by the Indian Supreme Court in 2018: https://www.mondaq.com/india/perfor...e-of-law-by-foreign-lawyerslaw-firms-in-india
Agree with this - it is something people have been talking about since I started in Graduate Recruitment (scarily nearly two decades now) and the Indian market has never opened up, and if anything has become a bit tougher in that time.

APPLE619

Star Member
Dec 6, 2021
Hi, I'm currently applying to Freshfields, and I'm a little confused by the application system. I studied in a sixth form college outside of the UK, but while Freshfields has a form that allows you to input A-level/IB grades if you state that you studied in a sixth form college inside of the UK, it does not for a sixth form college outside of the UK (the subject boxes just literally do not show up). I could try to put it in another section – "education" – but that section seems to be formatted for university grades rather than for A-levels/IB. What should I do?
Hey! Had the exact same issue (I did the IB abroad). I wasn't able to put in my grades and emailed them explaining my situation and a full breakdown of my grades. On the automatic reply it said if I have trouble, I should add grades into the "Please list the subjects you have studied (and have yet to study, if applicable) and the marks for each year for each subject (which must be given as percentages), even if they do not count towards your final degree classification." section. They replied with a thanks, and said they've added my grades manually too.

Ks36

Star Member
Dec 14, 2021
Agree with this - it is something people have been talking about since I started in Graduate Recruitment (scarily nearly two decades now) and the Indian market has never opened up, and if anything has become a bit tougher in that time.
That’s interesting, could you then outline on the offices question that you would like to do so in India due to its status as an emerging market but can’t and would encourage more fly in fly out work or should you avoid India completely since the question is obviously just about offices?

JM1998

Esteemed Member
Mar 26, 2021
That’s interesting, could you then outline on the offices question that you would like to do so in India due to its status as an emerging market but can’t and would encourage more fly in fly out work or should you avoid India completely since the question is obviously just about offices?
I had this question at a telephone interview and avoided India specifically for the reasons others have mentioned.

I think it’d be best to focus on a location where they actually can open a new office, so you’re definitely answering the question properly.

Reactions: Ks36

Al1793

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
I am definitely biased...

But I am so chuffed for you re: HSF! Amazing news!! 🥳🥳

Very happy to answer any questions in the lead up to the AC- just tag me!

In my experience it was one of, if not the, most enjoyable of the interviews I did!

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN
Hi George, can I ask what made the AC so enjoyable? Currently preparing for this now, any suggested preparation also very much appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You can’t encourage more fly in fly out work either! Firms have to record how many days are spent there, both by individual lawyers and the firm as a whole and ensure they don’t go over a particular limit (well that used to be the case anyway - I don’t know if that’s changed recently).

Reactions: Ks36 and djqb

A92167!8

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 6, 2020
If a work experience section states this - 'Tell us about any paid employment, paid or unpaid placements or internships and any other office and non-office work experience below. Include everything, even if you’re not sure that it’s relevant – non-legal work employment and experience is as important to us as legal placements'

Can you include volunteer roles or committee positions or extra curricular activities from school/uni? @Jessica Booker

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
If a work experience section states this - 'Tell us about any paid employment, paid or unpaid placements or internships and any other office and non-office work experience below. Include everything, even if you’re not sure that it’s relevant – non-legal work employment and experience is as important to us as legal placements'

Can you include volunteer roles or committee positions or extra curricular activities from school/uni? @Jessica Booker
I would include volunteer roles but I would not include committee positions or extra curricular activities in the work experience section. Those are more suited to the application questions.

Reactions: GXA123

Zubin

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 17, 2020
    Baker McKenzie Summer VS WG invite!

Also, does anyone know how long after the telephone interview NRF normally gets back to you? Haven't heard anything in the past 10 days since mine 😭

One last thing - does anyone have any tips for Clyde & Co's virtual interview? Have mine in the next few days :)

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Has anyone got any stories of fumbling part of a VI and still progressing? Had my first ever this morning, with one really rough Q (messy answer, awkward silence at the end) but the second I think went really well. Trying to stay hopeful.
    I’d say it’s usually better than you think and if you don’t progress, it’s still an opportunity to learn. I laughed halfway when answering a question in a VI because I lost my train of thought and I’m currently in the final round of interviews for that role, so I wouldn’t worry. Just wait for the outcome and I hope that helps!

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Baker McKenzie Summer VS WG invite!

Also, does anyone know how long after the telephone interview NRF normally gets back to you? Haven't heard anything in the past 10 days since mine 😭

One last thing - does anyone have any tips for Clyde & Co's virtual interview? Have mine in the next few days :)
    Re NRF, I was told not to expect a response until after NY, so don’t stress.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.