TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    The worst thing about the weekend/bank holidays is that law firms aren’t reviewing our applications in that time. Like if you agree.
    Although I can understand and empathise with the anxiety having gone through the process last year, the best thing you can do for yourself is forget about an application once it's been submitted. The outcome is now totally out of your hands so occupy yourself with other stuff, make more applications or just take a break. Probably easier said than done, but the app process is a gruelling marathon not a sprint so it's important to take care of well-being wherever possible.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks so much for your reply - I apologise in advance for how dense this sounds on my part, but when you say "not just because you ran out of word count", do you mean that running out of word count is a valid reason (albeit not the only reason) for putting information in the "additional info" question, or, alternatively, that it isn't a valid reason (and that we should only include info that other questions didn't give candidates a chance to answer elsewhere on the form)?
    If you ran out of word count in another section, this type of question shouldn’t be used to just go into the detail you could have provided elsewhere.

Reactions: pfoapplicant

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Are practice areas capitalised? for example, is it International Arbitration or international arbitration? Thank you
    It really depends on the context. If you are saying it as a name/title it will be, if you are just saying it more generally in a sentence, e.g. I want to work in international arbitration - then it won’t.

If you are ever unsure, look at how the firm you are applying to writes it in body copy (not in titles/headings).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Happy new year everyone!!
    I was drafting my Freshfields app and was wondering if we should write an introduction for the personal statement?
    It depends what the introduction is covering. If it is a summary of what you are going to say, then it isn’t needed.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Happy new year guys,

Did anyone take part in the Legal Cheek virtual law fair in December and spoke with Dentons 'trainees?
    I forgot to write their names..:(

Reactions: GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Happy new year guys,

Did anyone take part in the Legal Cheek virtual law fair in December and spoke with Dentons 'trainees?
    I forgot to write their names..:(
    If this is for an application, do you really need to name them? I doubt this will add value to your application.

Reactions: S87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I had a rejection from A&O on Christmas day!!! Yes the 25th of December!, so some of them do work on bank holidays 🤦‍♀️
    It’s unlikely to be the U.K. grad rec team working on Christmas Day.

It is likely they have either outsourced their application screening or there is some form of delay in the emails being sent out (sometimes they are sent the next day by default after an application is reviewed and processed).

mckelly

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 19, 2020
    Re Freshfields application form where it asks about 'achieved education level', if were are still at University, does this merit filling in the section with 'A Level & GCSEs'?

Reactions: CC03
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.