TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    This is absolutely invaluable thanks so so much. Just a quick follow up question - I’ve actually written two answers to this now, one from the perspective of me outside the business - ‘Gowling can offer’ etc and one with me placed inside the business ‘we can offer’.
    Do you think the firm will find the second way presumptive? 😂😂 Does it matter?
    Glad it was helpful! I'd actually write from the first person ie "we can offer". I looked at the question again and it is essentially framed as placing you within the business so stick with that! :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: Hele25

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I am struggling with CMS's application questions and was wondering if anyone could help me out. For reference the questions are...
    • Focusing on one of CMS’s sectors, what opportunities have arisen in the ‘new ways of working’ and current business climate? (200 words)
    • In your own words, explain one key strategy that CMS is implementing to become the leading relationship law firm. (200 words)
    Regarding the first question, does 'new ways of working' mean remote working? If so, does it mean the opportunities that remote working has created for the sector or CMS or both?

For the second question, I was wondering where I can find out more about CMS's strategy? I found a section about it on their website and looked at their annual report but I feel there isn't a lot of information about it.

Thank you!

For the first question, I read it as what opportunities "new ways of working" created for the sector. And yes I think they are referring to predominantly remote working but there are probably other ancillary changes to this that you can research and discuss too. I'd recommend starting your research by narrowing down which two or three sectors you'd most likely talk about - then look up the biggest changes in the industry since the pandemic generally and decide what would be most relevant for answering the question. The opportunities its created for CMS is something you can discuss after you've identified the opportunities for the sector/clients in the sector - so you'd link it back to how CMS can help their clients (in that sector) capitalise on those sector opportunities.

• Love
    Reactions: M&M

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi, everyone!
    I'd like to ask whether my approach for A&O application questions is 'correct'. The questions are quite straight forward but I am just getting confused.

Question 1
    Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience, or extracurricular activities.
    • For this, I used examples of when I 'innovated' a process (at work), collaborated on a campaign with a group of people, and lastly how I use 'attention to detail' when checking website articles.

Question 2
    Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful.

• Innovation - I talked about how innovative A&O is (RelativityOne) and how I would put the client first, and look for new approaches
    • Collaboration - I'd have to work with many different people within the firm (so I gave an example of their recent deal where different teams were involved) but also internationally.
    • Attention to detail - proof-reading etc

I think your approach here is correct! For the second question, I would just try to be as specific as possible about what the day to day responsibilities of a trainee are so for example: instead of saying collaboration would be useful for working with colleagues across different offices you could say, as a trainee collaboration is an important skill when coordinating signing/closing documents for a deal across different teams (this is a very common trainee task). Being specific will show them that you have a good understanding of the role which is something I think the question is trying to assess as well.

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    If HSF ask you to outline your responsibilities for work experience, should you list your skills as well? Or literally just an explanation of what you did?
    In my mind, 'responsibilities' and 'what you did' are interlinked. The responsibility bit is what you were accountable for completing and the 'what you did' bit are the actions you actually took. So for example, your responsibility might have been to make X sales per month and you went about this by doing A, B and C. The responsibility or your actions are often not the most important thing, rather the transferrable skills that you learnt. I'm not sure of the word count of the HSF app this year, but generally if you have word count available, you should try to outline any skills learnt.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Clyde & Co’s application form asks if I’ve completed their Virtual Experience Programme. Is it a massive no no if I haven’t? Should I do that before I submit the application?

Honestly I’m working crazy hours so just making time for applications is all I can manage. I really don’t have time for more work outside of work (and I have some degree of legal work experience).
    No, it's not necessary to complete it. I think it really depends on how much experience you have in the sector and also how much connection you have to the firm in question too.

Reactions: Veep9

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Someone like Jessica would have better authority over this but I definitely would not say that you have to do these. Its more if people want to build their understanding of the firm and what sort of work law firms do in general. With your work and other experiences I'm sure you have enough to back up your reasons for applying :) So I definitely wouldn't stress that you can't rush through it as then its not even that beneficial to you either!

No, it's not necessary to complete it. I think it really depends on how much experience you have in the sector and also how much connection you have to the firm in question too.
    Thank you!

elizabethjo123

Star Member
    Jan 7, 2021
    In my mind, 'responsibilities' and 'what you did' are interlinked. The responsibility bit is what you were accountable for completing and the 'what you did' bit are the actions you actually took. So for example, your responsibility might have been to make X sales per month and you went about this by doing A, B and C. The responsibility or your actions are often not the most important thing, rather the transferrable skills that you learnt. I'm not sure of the word count of the HSF app this year, but generally if you have word count available, you should try to outline any skills learnt.
    Thank you, I was just slightly confused as one of the questions also asks what skills, qualities and attributes you’d bring to the role so I don’t want to repeat myself

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    Wondering about CMS's question: "What qualities does a future facing, well-rounded lawyer require to be successful?"

Would you try and weave into the answer how you have the qualities which you mention? The word limit is really tight at only 200 words.

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    Can anyone advise me how things would change in a case study if you were acting for the seller. Would the case study be more likely requiring you to decide between possible buyers and then explain pros and cons of why you had chosen one and not the other? Rather than advising on a sale to a specific buyer?

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Wondering about CMS's question: "What qualities does a future facing, well-rounded lawyer require to be successful?"

Would you try and weave into the answer how you have the qualities which you mention? The word limit is really tight at only 200 words.
    No need to weave in your qualities - just focus on the skills you think you would need. The "future-facing" bit is the key to this question - try to avoid picking things that lawyers have needed for decades to be successful.

elizabethjo123

Star Member
    Jan 7, 2021
    Thank you, I was just slightly confused as one of the questions also asks what skills, qualities and attributes you’d bring to the role so I don’t want to repeat myself

@Jessica Booker could you help me on this? In the question where it asks me what skills/ qualities/ attributes I would bring to the role, I've linked it to previous work experience/ co-curriculars at university. Does this mean I should avoid re-listing these skills in the work experience section if all it asks for are my responsibilities?

Also, is it okay to put in university activities in work experience, e.g. if you were part of the pro bono society or on the exec committee of a political society?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker could you help me on this? In the question where it asks me what skills/ qualities/ attributes I would bring to the role, I've linked it to previous work experience/ co-curriculars at university. Does this mean I should avoid re-listing these skills in the work experience section if all it asks for are my responsibilities?

Also, is it okay to put in university activities in work experience, e.g. if you were part of the pro bono society or on the exec committee of a political society?
    I’d generally advise to avoid repetition in an application. In work experience sections, you generally don’t have to talk about your skills (unless you think it is something that isn’t obvious from your description), unless the form explicitly asks you to do this.

Extra curriculars should not be included in work experience sections. There are some exceptions, like working in a student law clinic or volunteering in a student call centre, but generally most student society stuff should just be kept to your extra curriculars.

elizabethjo123

Star Member
    Jan 7, 2021
    I’d generally advise to avoid repetition in an application. In work experience sections, you generally don’t have to talk about your skills (unless you think it is something that isn’t obvious from your description), unless the form explicitly asks you to do this.

Extra curriculars should not be included in work experience sections. There are some exceptions, like working in a student law clinic or volunteering in a student call centre, but generally most student society stuff should just be kept to your extra curriculars.
    Thank you so much, that's really helpful

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.