TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jv1999

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 11, 2021
If you have to list prizes/scholarships/awards in a VS application, would it be a bad idea to list that I got a scholarship from Inner Temple to do the GDL? I originally considered becoming a barrister but have now decided on the solicitor route. It was part of my journey to deciding to become a solicitor (which I have spelled out) but I also don't want to give the wrong impression that I may go down the barrister route or am unsure/undecided.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In case one gets through two winter vacation schemes and the dates clash, is it possible to request one firm to shift for spring/summer scheme?
Absolutely no harm in asking. Be prepared for the firms to say no though.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
In case one gets through two winter vacation schemes and the dates clash, is it possible to request one firm to shift for spring/summer scheme?
Definitely worth asking. Alternatively, you could ask the firm to transfer you VS app to a direct TC app. I was allowed to do this with 2 firms last year.

• ℹ️
Reactions: John Travoni

PM2021

Star Member
Dec 18, 2020
Definitely worth asking. Alternatively, you could ask the firm to transfer you VS app to a direct TC app. I was allowed to do this with 2 firms last year.
Actually, one of my apps has been transferred from the TC to VS, and I have been invited for the assessment. However, the winter vacation scheme dates do not suit me because they clash with my university exams. So I do not know how to go about this. Any recommendations would be very helpful

Ooshmate

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 12, 2020
    For the Latham & Watkins Open Day Application Q:
    “What area(s) of law are you interested in learning more about, and why?” (250)

I was thinking I could focus on Data Protection Law by expanding on these examples:
    a. Completed a Introductory Course on the GDPR - scoring 93%
    b. Studied Data Protection Law at Uni - scoring 68%
    c. HSF Innovation Open Day
    d. Clifford Chance Cybersecurity Virtual Internship
    e. That I am studying Advanced Topics in Data Protection Law this year

For this question, is it about tailoring your interests to the firm as well as explaining why you enjoy the area of law. Or, in your answer do you need to make reference to a current event related to the area of law?

Any recommendations would be so helpful!

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Actually, one of my apps has been transferred from the TC to VS, and I have been invited for the assessment. However, the winter vacation scheme dates do not suit me because they clash with my university exams. So I do not know how to go about this. Any recommendations would be very helpful
    What firm is this if you don’t mind me asking ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I was thinking I could focus on Data Protection Law by expanding on these examples:

For this question, is it about tailoring your interests to the firm as well as explaining why you enjoy the area of law. Or, in your answer do you need to make reference to a current event related to the area of law?

I think they want you to frame this more about what you are hoping to learn from the open day, not what you have done previously. You can reference your previous interests/activities, but you need to frame it more in how the open day will help you learn more about those topics if you are going to do this. There would be no need to make reference to a current event in this answer, unless it can be closely linked to what you would learn on the open day.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Contact the firm and tell them you can't attend the VS due to examinations and ask whether you can be put forward for a later vacation scheme or reverted back to a TC applicant.

Ooshmate

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 12, 2020
    I think they want you to frame this more about what you are hoping to learn from the open day, not what you have done previously. You can reference your previous interests/activities, but you need to frame it more in how the open day will help you learn more about those topics if you are going to do this. There would be no need to make reference to a current event in this answer, unless it can be closely linked to what you would learn on the open day.
    Thank you for your response. I guess I am still slightly confused though as to how I would make my answer to this question different to the question below:

“Why do you want to attend an open day at Latham & Watkins specifically?” (250)

In this question I have focused on the culture of the firm and a certain practice area.

Moreover, the information regarding the agenda for the open day itself is very limited so I am unsure where to start as far as avoiding saying the general content e.g. meeting trainees, and networking

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Thank you for your response. I guess I am still slightly confused though as to how I would make my answer to this question different to the question below:

“Why do you want to attend an open day at Latham & Watkins specifically?” (250)

In this question I have focused on the culture of the firm and a certain practice area.

Moreover, the information regarding the agenda for the open day itself is very limited so I am unsure where to start as far as avoiding saying the general content e.g. meeting trainees, and networking
    I went to the L&W open day in december 2019. There was a LOT of structured networking, including a networking lunch and a speed networking session. They also talked a lot about their diversity & inclusion initiatives, more so than anything you'd find about it online. I'd say learning about culture, day to day work, life as a trainee and getting a unique perspective on latham's D&I policies are good things to talk about.

Basically, you go to open days to get insight into the firm that you wouldn't otherwise find yourself- so I'd keep that in mind

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020

I applied last year and was successful! In my app, I wrote about their PE practice - detailed what I founded interesting about the area and what I wanted to learn more about latham's expertise in this particular area. I concluded by stating how learning about the area at latham would help me understand latham / the kind of work undertaken by a law firm.

You definitely don't have to write about something you have experience in/have studied at university! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.