TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Anyone who has applied to Linklaters, am I correct in saying that they don't ask for work experiences? When I applied, I did not see a section to write about work experiences.

Also, what are the type of WG questions of the 5 are included in the Capp test?
    There’s no work experience questions until you get shortlisted for AC and then they ask you to submit some work experiences pre interview. I can’t remember the WG answers in the Capp test though sorry

Reactions: Dwight

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi, the Clyde & Co application does not have any questions. I have looked at multiple times and I cannot find the questions. Appreciate any help!
    There’s a video interview that replaces the application questions this cycle that you’ll receive a link to after you submit

Reactions: xtinew and GXA123

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    There’s no work experience questions until you get shortlisted for AC and then they ask you to submit some work experiences pre interview. I can’t remember the WG answers in the Capp test though sorry
    Does that mean that they shortlist candidates solely based on academics, Capp and the WG test?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Does that mean that they shortlist candidates solely based on academics, Capp and the WG test?
    I believe it’s a mix of all of those. I’m guessing they probably try and look for the best academics and pair with the test scores. Purely a guess but I’ve never gotten far with it and my grades aren’t amazing. It’s probably a formula of all of those that a computer picks out though.

Reactions: Dwight

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I am thinking of applying for a law firm's open day and in the application, it asks questions about open days and insight events you have attended to list down. If I state that I attended the firm's legal cheek event would this prevent me from getting accepted onto their open day or not. What do you think @Jessica Booker I know this might be a stupid thing to assume but am attending the open day to find out more about the firm.

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    I could really use some help. Does anyone know where I could find information regarding how Dechert outperforms its competitors. I can’t find this information anywhere 😪😪

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    I could really use some help. Does anyone know where I could find information regarding how Dechert outperforms its competitors. I can’t find this information anywhere 😪😪
    Hey! If you are asking this in reference to the VS app q I would be happy to help! (I got to AC last year :) )

I would start by looking at who the firm's competitors actually are - maybe check rankings on Legal500 for its main / most profitable practice areas. Then try to work out how Dechert is different from these firms. Some points to research could be its global strategy/geographical presence (perhaps Dechert can provide on-the-ground advice in places where other firms can't), what other teams Dechert has which support its main departments (i.e. does it have a full service offering?? think about how this is beneficial from an efficiency/client perspective) , does the firm have any longstanding clients they can generate repeat work from, does it have a particular diversity strategy (this could be beneficial in terms of recruiting the best talent).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am thinking of applying for a law firm's open day and in the application, it asks questions about open days and insight events you have attended to list down. If I state that I attended the firm's legal cheek event would this prevent me from getting accepted onto their open day or not. What do you think @Jessica Booker I know this might be a stupid thing to assume but am attending the open day to find out more about the firm.
    No - wouldn’t prevent you

User84

Sep 2, 2021
    I'm looking to apply to an open day at Clyde & Co and I see no question asking me for a motivation as to why I'm applying. The closest thing I came across is 'Please provide any additional information that you believe is relevant to an assessment of your qualifications: * '. Is this where I explain my motivations? I'm also wondering if I can put some volunteer stuff in the work experience section, there's four mandatory fields and I've only had two part time jobs (one this summer and the other during A-Levels).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm looking to apply to an open day at Clyde & Co and I see no question asking me for a motivation as to why I'm applying. The closest thing I came across is 'Please provide any additional information that you believe is relevant to an assessment of your qualifications: * '. Is this where I explain my motivations? I'm also wondering if I can put some volunteer stuff in the work experience section, there's four mandatory fields and I've only had two part time jobs (one this summer and the other during A-Levels).
    Some firms aren’t worried about your motivations as they can assess that at the following interview stages.

If you really wanted to, you could put some motivational aspects in the extra info question, but it is explicitly asking about details of your “qualifications” so it would need to be linked to that.

However, you clearly don’t have to include motivational aspects in that question as that isn’t what it’s really asking for.

Volunteer work can be included in work experience.

Reactions: User84

Wannabe_Lawyer

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 22, 2018
    Has anyone who’s applied to Clyde & co received the video interview yet? From their website I thought it was automatic?

I would guess from the wording on the website that it happens after and your written and video responses would be reviewed together to see if you get to the next stage. I could be wrong though!
    Were there any actual application questions in Clyde & Co's app? I'm scratching my head having looked through it and being unable to find any application questions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.