TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
Jan 12, 2022
Anyone heard from Irwin Mitchell post VI? Getting really anxious it might be a pfo
I've not heard from them, nor have I heard from of anyone getting a reply after the video interview. On their website, it says video interviews are to be done in January and assessment centres in February. Since they don't automatically offer video interviews after their online test, there's a gap between (a) completing the online test and (b) getting the video interview if you passed the test.

So I think they're still going through the video interviews of all the people who applied close-to or smack bang on the deadline and were successful in their tests before they start giving out AC offers... I'm no graduate recruiter or anything so I could be totally off here but that's my feeling

Donuttime

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 17, 2021
Does anyone know why someone would want to work in a city law firm compared to regional?
City law firms have more of an international presence
work with clients in various jurisdictions
complex transactions and deals

regional firms focus more within the area they are in for example midlands etc
work is sometimes on a smaller scale

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know why someone would want to work in a city law firm compared to regional?
A lot of people are not geographically mobile - many people just want to work for regional firms because they want to stay in that region. And that is a very legitimate reason why you would apply for a regional firm over a city firm. It’s the same reason why people will choose a city firm over a regional firm.

Other reasons people tend to choose one over the other tend to be the types of clients you work with (and how closely you work with them), firm culture, and working hours. For those who choose city careers over regional, there is typically a salary reason too.

Reactions: George Maxwell

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
Dec 11, 2021
A lot of people are not geographically mobile - many people just want to work for regional firms because they want to stay in that region. And that is a very legitimate reason why you would apply for a regional firm over a city firm. It’s the same reason why people will choose a city firm over a regional firm.

Other reasons people tend to choose one over the other tend to be the types of clients you work with (and how closely you work with them), firm culture, and working hours. For those who choose city careers over regional, there is typically a salary reason too.
So it wouldn’t be frowned upon for one of the reasons to be that you genuinely enjoy living in London and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else?

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2020
It’s for HSF, so I think international work is applicable here
I had this question in my HSF interview and It was literally straight after my why CL, I basically said that the things I want out of commercial law (intl deals, secondments, the more complex deals, also i really like project finance / Africa so. I mentioned that) I wouldn't get in a regional firm. The interviewer as I was saying it said 'it seems like such an obvious question that you want a city firm now I know your career ambitions' and laughed with me about it - honestly, don't stress! Just give your reasons and it will be fine :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So it wouldn’t be frowned upon for one of the reasons to be that you genuinely enjoy living in London and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else?
If the question is asking you why a London vs Regional firm, then yes that is fine. If it is asking you why city law, then that’s slightly different as you have a whole range of firms in London that are not city law firms.

Reactions: rose888 and AvniD
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.