TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just had a nap and had a dream that I attended an AC where one of the assessed tasks was to cook an omelette to perfection.

I’m going insane and it’s only my first cycle.
When I worked in-house, I used to dream all the time that I organised campus recruitment events in my bedroom while I was asleep. So I’d dream 100s of people were watching me sleep. Graduate Recruitment makes you insane too 😂

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker
In addition to my cover letter, I also need to send my CV. Could I ask you what kind of format should I use? Can I have a statement? Can I use my paralegal CV?
If you have a cover letter, a statement isn’t needed. What you’d need to say would be in the cover letter.

This thread might be useful in terms of CV format:

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
If you have a cover letter, a statement isn’t needed. What you’d need to say would be in the cover letter.

This thread might be useful in terms of CV format:

Thank you for this

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Who are our biggest competitors?

is that a competency question or motivation?
Technically it is neither.

A competency question would be a “tell me about a time you have developed X skill”

While a motivation question on this topic would be “Which other firms have you applied to and how are we better than them”

This question is really just assessing your knowledge and analytical abilities in written form.

Trying4aJob

Standard Member
Jan 19, 2022
Hi everyone - this is my first post and first time applying for Vacation Schemes!

I have an Assessment Centre tomorrow with Ashurst, and one of the tasks is a one-hour case study written exercise. I have no experience at all with these, however I have been informed by the firm that it will focus on the commercial rather than legal side of things. If anyone has any tips on how to approach these, I would be very grateful, such as regarding structure, length, content etc. (Background - I am a non-law student). Thank you in advance!

Reactions: kmax301 and GXA123

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi everyone - this is my first post and first time applying for Vacation Schemes!

I have an Assessment Centre tomorrow with Ashurst, and one of the tasks is a one-hour case study written exercise. I have no experience at all with these, however I have been informed by the firm that it will focus on the commercial rather than legal side of things. If anyone has any tips on how to approach these, I would be very grateful, such as regarding structure, length, content etc. (Background - I am a non-law student). Thank you in advance!
    I don't have experience with AC but welcome to the forum.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I want to be honest with you but I truly believe this is the best advice I can give you now - I think trying to prepare now at this late stage won't be helpful to you.

I recommend instead you get a good night's sleep, rest up and take it easy. Anything I would recommend in terms of preparation would require more than a couple of hours and ideally not absorbing it only a matter of hours before your interview. It is like trying to revise for an exam hours beforehand - it's only going to confuse and panic you more trying to take on information at this late stage.

A few tips that might help:
    1. Try to skim read quickly through all the information you are given for the case study first before reading it in detail. Understanding the full scope of the information given to you in likely to help you to frame your thinking it a much more logical way. The most important factor could be the last thing you read and could change your analysis of all the other information, and so understanding all the information you have quickly can help you make better assumptions/conclusions
    2. Quality will always win out over quantity - depth of thought, structure, flow and accuracy will always win out over an illogical flow of headline points with little analysis
    3. Remember who your audience is - an output from the exercise to a fictional client will be very different to what you would provide to a partner in the law firm. Try to anticipate what they already know and therefore what you don't have to tell them (unless they have asked for it).

Last edited:

sami.rehman

Feb 3, 2021
    Shall I just assume the PFO for the spring scheme then 😂 not heard a word since I completed the Blended test 9th December
    Episode 17 Laughing GIF by The Simpsons
    This is the exact same position as me lol ! I emailed grad recruitment yesterday just to enquire, but who knows ! Let's have faith, it's not a PFO just yet :D I submitted 2nd Dec

legalgemma

Distinguished Member
    Jan 11, 2022
    I was just in the middle of completing a WG and the page cut out and refreshed and logged me out. Its not letting me log back in because my email address has already been registered - I have emailed grad rec but I am panicking, will they send me a fresh link and let me do it again?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.