TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelovelygiraffe

Sep 19, 2021
Just received an email from Milbank asking me to do a WG with no deadline indicated…
They never told us there would be WG in the admissions process so what should I consider the deadline to be?

the email just says:
Thank you for your recent application. We would now like for you to complete our online Watson Glaser test.

I’ve already been called for AC so I’m a bit confused about why I’m getting the WG now

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Could someone clarify the following for me pls:

Do clients have different legal firms advising them on different matters- i.e. Firm A for litigation and contentious matters; Firm B for transactional matters? Or is it just one firm that represents them in all matters?
    Can be both, can be different. Can also have different firms advising them on the same matter. A world of possibilities 😜

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Just received an email from Milbank asking me to do a WG with no deadline indicated…
    They never told us there would be WG in the admissions process so what should I consider the deadline to be?

the email just says:
    Thank you for your recent application. We would now like for you to complete our online Watson Glaser test.

I’ve already been called for AC so I’m a bit confused about why I’m getting the WG now
    it could be a mistake

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

mckelly

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 19, 2020

the email just says:

I am with you here. I'm holding of completing it at the moment (can't atm any with an essay due), but it could just be a mistake so would recommend waiting for at least a little while

• 🤝
    Reactions: GXA123 and thelovelygiraffe

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I am with you here. I'm holding of completing it at the moment (can't atm any with an essay due), but it could just be a mistake so would recommend waiting for at least a little while

the email just says:

I suggest ring up graduate recruitment or email them but I would normally ring them up as that is easier.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I have an interview with Slaughter and May and have realised there was a spelling/grammar issue in my cover letter - is this something the partners might bring up? If so, how do I address it?😅
    I highly doubt it will come up - if it was going to be an issue they wouldn't have invited you to interview. If they bring it up and you're feeling cheeky, point that out.

Really though, in the unlikely scenario that they press this point, I would say 'people make mistakes' and stick to my guns. There's a lot of talk around recruitment about attention to detail, lawyers can't afford to make mistakes but literally everyone makes mistakes. I have found errors on like 50% of the firm sites I've visited while doing research, and working in-house I have seen countless minor errors in client deliverables and communications from lawyers at some of the most august firms.

gt1465

Jan 8, 2022
    I highly doubt it will come up - if it was going to be an issue they wouldn't have invited you to interview. If they bring it up and you're feeling cheeky, point that out.

Really though, in the unlikely scenario that they press this point, I would say 'people make mistakes' and stick to my guns. There's a lot of talk around recruitment about attention to detail, lawyers can't afford to make mistakes but literally everyone makes mistakes. I have found errors on like 50% of the firm sites I've visited while doing research, and working in-house I have seen countless minor errors in client deliverables and communications from lawyers at some of the most august firms.
    thank you so much for this! I've noticed quite a few mistakes on firm sites too hahaha. Fingers crossed they don't mention it 😊

Reactions: Rob93

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was just in the middle of completing a WG and the page cut out and refreshed and logged me out. Its not letting me log back in because my email address has already been registered - I have emailed grad rec but I am panicking, will they send me a fresh link and let me do it again?
    Most likely, yes they will just reset it for you. Technical issues happen from time to time and the usual process is just to reset the assessment.

Reactions: legalgemma

Rachael.Elisa

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 15, 2021
    Hi, for a question asking, "apart from law, what are you passionate about and why?", is this a section for me to talk about hobbies and interests or is it looking for something more intellectual, like issues/topics that I find important?

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    How do we answer the interview questions what other firms have you applied to and why, if we have only applied to two firms that aren't the closest match? @Jessica Booker @George Maxwell
    Hi @rose888,

Thanks for the question. This is a tricky one.

Firm choice can be (and arguably always is) very personal. I would argue so long as your reason for applying to each firm is independently strong, it should not be an issue that you have applied to a contrasting 'type' of firm.

The focus should be on your justification for applying.

For example, take a candidate that applied to two firms.

This candidate interacted with W firm in their first year at university, really liked their GR team and the trainees they spoke to inspired them. These are strong (initial) reasons for applying. Similarly, this person also applied to X firm because X are strong in disputes, having represented Y client who appealed to them because of Z, this would be a good reason to apply to this firm too.

If W had 50 overseas offices, yet X only had two in the UK, it is likely these firms are very different. Yet the candidate had strong reasons to apply to both as detailed above.

Firms can also appear very different in some ways, but actually be substantively similar in others. W and X might despite their contrasting international strategy, have particular strengths in disputes, or have a very small trainee cohort in London, or both offer eight seats to trainees during their training contract.

So long as you can give adequate justification and are able to demonstrate that you have thought your choices through thoroughly, you should be fine.

I also discussed this question on the Premium Forum here which might be helpful!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.