TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS31

Distinguished Member
Jan 23, 2021
In an interview, how would you answer 'why law?' differently to 'why commercial law?' ?
I always answer it as two different parts and it works well for me. For why law I answer how I developed a certain skill set over my schooling years through activities including debate that made me keen to pursue the law. For why commercial law I point to my experiences with business and commerce (at internships or otherwise) and how that made me interested in the field

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    I want to be honest with you but I truly believe this is the best advice I can give you now - I think trying to prepare now at this late stage won't be helpful to you.

I recommend instead you get a good night's sleep, rest up and take it easy. Anything I would recommend in terms of preparation would require more than a couple of hours and ideally not absorbing it only a matter of hours before your interview. It is like trying to revise for an exam hours beforehand - it's only going to confuse and panic you more trying to take on information at this late stage.

A few tips that might help:
    1. Try to skim read quickly through all the information you are given for the case study first before reading it in detail. Understanding the full scope of the information given to you in likely to help you to frame your thinking it a much more logical way. The most important factor could be the last thing you read and could change your analysis of all the other information, and so understanding all the information you have quickly can help you make better assumptions/conclusions
    2. Quality will always win out over quantity - depth of thought, structure, flow and accuracy will always win out over an illogical flow of headline points with little analysis
    3. Remember who your audience is - an output from the exercise to a fictional client will be very different to what you would provide to a partner in the law firm. Try to anticipate what they already know and therefore what you don't have to tell them (unless they have asked for it).
    Hi Jessica.

In response to this post. What is your general advice for preparing for a written assignment (a have a few days before my AC).

Reactions: George Maxwell

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    Hi! I had my interview this week. I think it’s very difficult to prepare for the interview as they could really ask you anything - but I would say make sure you know your CV very well and are able to back up every decision you’ve made in your academic/career journey. Make sure you remain calm if you face any challenging questions and think before you speak (I feel like I rambled 😅).
    @ap_88 did they ask you to elaborate on specific experiences you've listed on your CV e.g. specific task under a work experience? Or are the CV-related questions more general e.g. why law, why this uni, why did you achieve a lower grade on this module

RS31

Distinguished Member
    Jan 23, 2021
    I think a challenge here is that without very expensive subscriptions to industry publications it can be very difficult to get high-quality detail on particular deals - the FT does not devote its ink to exhaustively scrutinising the legal nuances of things, and firm publications are often along the lines of 'it was very complex because of [whatever] and we innovated in [some way]' but there's not great visibility of what the challenges or solutions were. If you can find that info, though, and you're *actually interested in it* and can say something reasonably insightful, that's another way to build it out
    I think lots of great quality information is available on firm websites! No subscription needed at all.

MH

Star Member
    Jan 12, 2022
    Hi everyone. I watch this forum frequently but haven't posted before. I was wondering if people could tell me where they at with the same firms so I could manage my expectations?

DLA Piper - Applied and did WG but not heard anything since. My portal hasn't even updated since 20th Dec.

HL - Also not heard anything, although I requested my WG score and its 59 percentile. Could someone please help me understand this in context? They said their pass mark this year is 18 percentile, but 59 seems quite low? I'm quite confused by it

Linklaters summer - Not heard anything since I applied in December, portal says 'on hold'

Also, I applied to Travers and think it was one of my strongest applications so far. But my word count was not 500. I don't want to panic but I knew the cover letter should have been in the 500 range. Mine was around 650. Will this drastically detriment my application?

Thanks!
    For DLA Piper I'm in the same boat as you. Completed WG and heard nothing since.

As for Travers, my cover letter was even longer than yours! I think as long as cover letters aren't ridiculously long it won't matter. If they wanted people to stick to a strict word limit surely they would've added one?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    We really need to some posts on what life is like as a graduate recruiter. Could give applicants way more perspective about how painstaking the process can be. Thanks for always clarifying @Jessica Booker.
    Haha - I always thought that would be super boring, but I'll have a think about how something like this might help the TCLA community understand how GR teams work (without it sounding like a massive whinge 🤣)

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    For Hogan Lovells, what would you guys recommend writing for the (optional) 'other information' question. Not sure if I could write about why law/why HL as there isn't really a section for this?

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    March 11 is no time at all for many law firms, especially at the moment while so many people are off work due to Covid.

7 weeks feels like 7 hours to graduate recruitment and 7 years to a candidate 😂
    @Jessica Booker the 7 years thing resonated more than I'd like to admit 😅 😅 😅

OO28

Junior Lawyer
    Nov 4, 2019
    For Hogan Lovells, what would you guys recommend writing for the (optional) 'other information' question. Not sure if I could write about why law/why HL as there isn't really a section for this?
    Grad Rec said it could be anything, including why law, why HL. I would recommend choosing something that makes you stand out, or something where you've made a real impact. I actually spoke about my year abroad experience and getting stuck in a foreign country during the pandemic. I wrote about the steps I took to find a humanitarian flight back home and said that it built my resilience and various skills that I would bring to Hogan Lovells as a trainee.

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    Grad Rec said it could be anything, including why law, why HL. I would recommend choosing something that makes you stand out, or something where you've made a real impact. I actually spoke about my year abroad experience and getting stuck in a foreign country during the pandemic. I wrote about the steps I took to find a humanitarian flight back home and said that it built my resilience and various skills that I would bring to Hogan Lovells as a trainee.
    Thank you

Reactions: OO28

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Second OO28 on this - I wrote my experience of migrating to a foreign country at 15 due to my parents' business issues and how I coped with language barriers, culture shock and incorporated myself into the community, and then I said now studying in the UK I'm part of my uni's WP programme helping students from underrepresented backgrounds. And then one sentence saying international outlook + resilience developed was crucial and can benefit my career as a commercial lawyer. In the AC they were so interested in this and we talked A LOT about it!

It doesn't have to be a massive achievement - but make sure you use this section to give them an impression/image of who you really are and what have you done, that's what they care about the most.

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD and OO28
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.