TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys,

I always struggle to relate the firm' s deals to my professional experience. For example, I mention the firm's work with a construction company and connect it to my legal experience in construction law but the feedback is always "you can add more". I am a bit lost!
You don't necessarily need to relate a firm's deals to your professional experience- the link firms are looking for is between your motivations and the deals you're mentioning. Why do those deals in particular interest you? What experiences (events, conversations, webinars etc.) have informed your interest?

Try also using a crisp structure when you talk about deals. Something like stating the deal ➡️ what was the significance of the deal/what stood out to you about it (the offices/practices that were engaged, the approach used etc.) ➡️ why did this deal stand out to you (involved practice areas you're interested in, the way the deal harmonised different teams and practices, the kind of responsibilities trainees had etc.)

Does this help?
I have to confess, I am one of those who, very now and then, gets an FT subscription (I guess I like to have a return on my money) but I do find hard to connect with people on Linkedin. I write a nice introduction and present myself in a professional manner and no answer most of the times. I also had an interview with one of W&C's partners and despite being unsuccessful I want to connect because she is a force to be reckoned with.
LinkedIn is such a hit or miss (mostly miss) when it comes to forming lasting, meaningful professional connections but you're doing well by trying to reach out by making polite introductions. If you're at university or still in touch with your university professors, I'd highly suggest getting in touch with them for help in making connections, maybe by introducing you to people they know among their network. This was by far the best and most impactful way I've made professional connections.

Reactions: S87 and Adrian_S

therealellewoods

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 20, 2022
    Hi everyone!!! I have two questions i was hoping to get help for. I have a few ideas but i do now know if they are the main ones or even accurate.

1) why do law firms keep track of non-billable hours.
    - is it because law firms want to be efficient i.e. if they see that a lawyer is doing a lot of non-billables they can reallocate the work. Also, to check if the non-billable work is actually non-billable (.e. mistakes in categorising)​
    - Maybe to consider increasing fees - so higher hourly rates?​
    - So lawyers can assess the time it takes them to do non-billable work​
    2) What are the adv/disadv of thought leadership?
    - Adv (demonstrates client responsiveness, awareness of clients opportunities and threats, expertise, build and attract client relationships, building reputation)​
    - disadv (other firms can use that information? costs to develop it?) - i really don't know what else could be a disadvantage​
    (edit) I want to also include accuracy - like if they are inaccurate in analysis (especially because mostly lower levels do the research etc..) then that could damage the reputation of the firm. But I do not know if this is accurate or even a good thing to say because the interviewer might feel personally attacked if I say they may not be accurate 😂​
    I work in a law firm and I think a part of why law firms track non-billable hours is so you can show what you've been doing with your time. e.g. if you only recorded 1 chargeable hour one day recording 5 hours of NC might show why. Also I think maybe because it also shows how many hours are being spent on other things like business development/training etc and I guess law firms function like businesses in that way? Sorry I'm not that helpful
    For DLA Piper I'm in the same boat as you. Completed WG and heard nothing since.

As for Travers, my cover letter was even longer than yours! I think as long as cover letters aren't ridiculously long it won't matter. If they wanted people to stick to a strict word limit surely they would've added one?
    It's soooo hard just waiting. Because my app hasn't even updated I'm assuming they haven't even reviewed it at all yet? And I'm scared everything will fill up by the time they do as I've seen loads of people being progressed :( (although IDK if they're all for summer or spring etc)

and that's really good to know! It seems people haven't treat that as a strict limit or guidance or anything. So true!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Commerciallaw

Samir_O

Legendary Member
    Oct 5, 2021
    I work in a law firm and I think a part of why law firms track non-billable hours is so you can show what you've been doing with your time. e.g. if you only recorded 1 chargeable hour one day recording 5 hours of NC might show why. Also I think maybe because it also shows how many hours are being spent on other things like business development/training etc and I guess law firms function like businesses in that way? Sorry I'm not that helpful

It's soooo hard just waiting. Because my app hasn't even updated I'm assuming they haven't even reviewed it at all yet? And I'm scared everything will fill up by the time they do as I've seen loads of people being progressed :( (although IDK if they're all for summer or spring etc)

and that's really good to know! It seems people haven't treat that as a strict limit or guidance or anything. So true!
    I can relate - my DLA Piper app status was last updated back in dec - still waiting post wg but am seeing AC invites and vac offers already on the forum so not quite sure whats happening! the wait kills though so i feel your pain!

• 🤝
    Reactions: JoeyTr

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica.

In response to this post. What is your general advice for preparing for a written assignment (a have a few days before my AC).
    I'll be honest in saying it is hard to prepare for the written assessment unless you know the very specific subject/topic of the assessment - but even then, firms tend to either have 1) multiple versions of the exercises and so you could never be sure of what topic you will get and 2) some firms are not assessing your technical knowledge, just your drafting/writing skills and general analytical abilities.

In addition, exercises like this are ultimately designed in a way that you shouldn't be able to prepare for them as such.

So it is really about using your preparation time when you get the task to the best of your ability. The points I mentioned in the post you quoted apply to written exercises too. rather than rushing into the writing process, consider the information you have, the task(s) you have been asked to complete (look at the instructions carefully), think about who you are writing for and then try to structure your thoughts accordingly before writing. For instance, some written tasks are much more of a proofreading task where you are given something to correct, while others are more of a drafting something from scratch. Your approach to these will be very different.

If you are tight on time (which is likely in these exercises) think about what your priorities should be. Also ensure you have some time to proofread anything you have drafted - correcting any errors as needed.

The following posts/advice right also be worth a read: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....cheme-applications-discussion.2732/post-76323

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AvniD, klewis and Commerciallaw
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.