TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
When I was preparing I would check the partners in case I’d named a particular practice area or deal I was interested in. Just in case you name a specific deal in your app and you end up in an interview with the partner who led it! It wouldn’t look great if they were really keen to talk about it and then you’d just namedropped it in the application and couldn’t talk about it.

I don’t know how common this situation is, or whether this is expected, @Jessica Booker would probably be best placed to answer this!
This doesn’t actually apply in my scenario, I didn’t mention a practice area or deal, but I’ll have a look at any interesting deals or firm initiatives he’s worked on. Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In virtual interview is it okay to refer to notes?
It is ok to have very shorthand/key word notes and use them occasionally.

But it’s really important for you to come across in a genuine way, and extensive notes do not reinforce that feeling. It makes it feel more like you can only repeat information rather than analyse information on the spot. Also extensive notes will make you speak more like it’s a speech rather than a conversation, and you definitely want it to be a conversation (even if there isn’t someone at the other end of the video).

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
When discussing why you want to work for an American law firm, is it ok to mention work that the American offices are involved in (but the london office isnt involved in it) or should you only mention work pertaining to london office?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When discussing why you want to work for an American law firm, is it ok to mention work that the American offices are involved in (but the london office isnt involved in it) or should you only mention work pertaining to london office?
I’d recommend focusing on elements that are relevant to the opportunity you are applying to. Sometimes there can be links to work done in the US, but many times there isn’t a clear link or benefit to trainee opportunities in the London office. If there is a clear link/benefit, it’s ok to mention (but you’ll probably want to explain what it is), if there isn’t, it might not be the best point to use.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Yes and no. I think it's fine to have a sort of crib sheet of prompts that you can glance at to make sure you're not forgetting anything in your excitement (I've heard of people putting postits on the wall) but you don't want to be relying on notes heavily, as at worst it'll be obvious what you're doing and at best it'll make the exchange very inorganic.

In my experience interviewing - mind you this has not been for law firm grad roles - the questions which make up the bulk of an interview, if not the entirety, aren't really things for which notes are much use. Presumably you know your motivations, experiences, competencies.

MillyWills

Jun 15, 2021
Whatever works for you to be honest! If notes make you feel more confident then I would suggest having your notes on a word doc (instead of referring to physical notes) and having both tabs open side to side.

Just make sure it’s not obvious you are reading and try to make “eye contact” by looking in your webcam as much as possible. I have personally done this because it gave me a sense of comfort and it worked well for me 🤗💕

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Could anyone tell me what White & Case’s strongest practice areas are?
W&C is probably one of the most diversified US firms in London so they have a lot, but when I think of them I think of M&A and project finance - bearing in mind I come from a very transaction-focused bent, so I haven't looked at their disputes practices at all. They're also definitely a major player across the broader range of finance practice but their projects work really stands out in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.