TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hi guys, just reading over an application I submitted yesterday - I rushed it a little as I thought the deadline was midnight but I think it's actually midnight today. I realised I made two mistakes:

- 'Supreme Court Victory' capitalised the V in victory
    - 'vital in becoming lawyer' (should have said 'vital in becoming a lawyer')

I thought this was one of my strongest applications so far, and so I'm really deeping the mistakes and whether they'll ruin it for me. In everyones opinions are these major? and would it be worth withdrawing my application and submitting a new one by correcting them or could this be plagiarism or something?
    Honestly I’ve made countless mistakes (missing punctuation etc) and it’s usually harmless to your application chances! Overall quality is more important!

therealellewoods

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 20, 2022
    Honestly I’ve made countless mistakes (missing punctuation etc) and it’s usually harmless to your application chances! Overall quality is more important!
    Thank you! Honestly it's so humbling when I go over apps and see how many mistakes I make in grammar etc even after looking at it 10000 times!

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    This might be a stupid question but would law firms ask about the specifics of uni modules during interview? I encountered this question during an interview simulation w/ my university career service in my last cycle. I imagine this question would be quite unfair for non-law candidates but the career counsel said I should revisit my notes in case they ask. I'm doing law and my grades are pretty ok but if they ask this I'm pretty much dead cuz I forgot everything💀
    Yes, I was asked a few questions about law modules during my interview

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hi guys, just reading over an application I submitted yesterday - I rushed it a little as I thought the deadline was midnight but I think it's actually midnight today. I realised I made two mistakes:

I thought this was one of my strongest applications so far, and so I'm really deeping the mistakes and whether they'll ruin it for me. In everyones opinions are these major? and would it be worth withdrawing my application and submitting a new one by correcting them or could this be plagiarism or something?
    Depends on a number of factors - how particular the firm's policy is (some are famously finicky, others are famously lax, most are in the middle); whether grad rec even notices - I think they often don't with some of these little things, but that comes down to chance; how strong your application & candidate profile are - apart from the notoriously strict firms, assuming mistakes are caught they'll just become part of the overall assessment and if you have sterling credentials and otherwise good writing it's not the end of the world.

I would generally not advise withdrawing and resubmitting - it does not look good, and imo is a bit underhanded (though certainly not 'plagiarism' in the academic sense of that word) - important in this profession to own one's mistakes (in my view). Jessica has made more compelling points on this elsewhere in the thread but I'm not sure where exactly.

Wouldn't sweat it too much - que sera sera.

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2022
    If you're working on a something close to a deadline and a partner asks you do do an urgent piece of work, is there actually a right response to a scenario like this? I'm preparing for an AC and law firms seem to be obsessed with this situational question so it wouldn't surprise me if it came up

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    If you're working on a something close to a deadline and a partner asks you do do an urgent piece of work, is there actually a right response to a scenario like this? I'm preparing for an AC and law firms seem to be obsessed with this situational question so it wouldn't surprise me if it came up
    Horrid question, particularly on SJTs where you have to 1) select a predetermined answer and 2) make a bunch of assumptions about the broader circumstances you can't actually state or test.

If I had to deal with this in AC/interview where the answer is open-ended, I would basically give one or more contingent answers depending on other facts I would reasonably expect to know in this circumstance - how long will my current task & the new task take & can I realistically produce work to a high standard on both against the respective deadlines? If yes okay do both. If not: is there someone better placed to do the new task of whom I am aware? If yes, perhaps redirect the work or see if a task-share is viable (may depend on the nature of the work). Is there someone on my current workstream I could tap for assistance to ensure that both are completed on time and to standard? If so this could work as well.

Broadly though like, go with your gut/be honest. Firms will be looking for slightly different answers to these types of questions, to see if the way you work fits with how they work. No point making yourself a square peg in a round hole.

OO28

Junior Lawyer
    Nov 4, 2019
    Has anyone heard back from A&O following their AC? I had mine 2 weeks ago - feels like a long time to wait... Not sure if they have given out any offers or rejections so far
    I did mine over a week ago, and I heard from trainees last year that they had to wait 2-3 to hear back, so it does seem to take a while

Reactions: SMN10

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021

Horrid question, particularly on SJTs where you have to 1) select a predetermined answer and 2) make a bunch of assumptions about the broader circumstances you can't actually state or test.

If I had to deal with this in AC/interview where the answer is open-ended, I would basically give one or more contingent answers depending on other facts I would reasonably expect to know in this circumstance - how long will my current task & the new task take & can I realistically produce work to a high standard on both against the respective deadlines? If yes okay do both. If not: is there someone better placed to do the new task of whom I am aware? If yes, perhaps redirect the work or see if a task-share is viable (may depend on the nature of the work). Is there someone on my current workstream I could tap for assistance to ensure that both are completed on time and to standard? If so this could work as well.

Broadly though like, go with your gut/be honest. Firms will be looking for slightly different answers to these types of questions, to see if the way you work fits with how they work. No point making yourself a square peg in a round hole.
    Largely agree with Rob but having faced this question and discussed it with associates and senior associates, the resounding takeaway that I’ve heard is that they want to know whether you can effectively communicate and delegate. In the first place you need to check with the partner about your conflicting deadline. If the work has been given by two different people (say, a partner and an associate), seniority pulls rank. You do the urgent work for the partner first (after having discussed the deadline with them) and then revert to the associate about the deadline to see whether 1) you’ll still be able to meet it, 2) there’s any flexibility, 3) there’s anyone available to jump in and help out.

As Rob said, different firms will have different “best answers”. If it’s not a multiple choice question, I’d try to set out the different points to take into account and then reason why you’d act one way over another (and whether particular factors might influence how you act).

Other people likely disagree but I think as long as you can demonstrate those key competencies (communication, delegation, organization), you’re on the right path.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell and Rob93

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

The first one is very minor. The second one is more of an issue where it doesn't read right.

However, I know plenty of people who have secured roles with worse.

There is no point withdrawing an application and resubmitting one - the firm will be able to see you have already applied despite withdrawing. I wouldn't worry about it though given the mistakes are minor and may not even be spotted.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Largely agree with Rob but having faced this question and discussed it with associates and senior associates, the resounding takeaway that I’ve heard is that they want to know whether you can effectively communicate and delegate. In the first place you need to check with the partner about your conflicting deadline. If the work has been given by two different people (say, a partner and an associate), seniority pulls rank. You do the urgent work for the partner first (after having discussed the deadline with them) and then revert to the associate about the deadline to see whether 1) you’ll still be able to meet it, 2) there’s any flexibility, 3) there’s anyone available to jump in and help out.

As Rob said, different firms will have different “best answers”. If it’s not a multiple choice question, I’d try to set out the different points to take into account and then reason why you’d act one way over another (and whether particular factors might influence how you act).

Other people likely disagree but I think as long as you can demonstrate those key competencies (communication, delegation, organization), you’re on the right path.
    Absolutely agree with all of this, and quite appreciate these points as I will definitely use them in the future - resource/time management or similar is consistently my lowest attribute cause it doesn't really occur to me that I'll be able to delegate things out.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Guys,
    How Long should a cover letter be?
    Depends on the firm - some give you a specific length to aim for. For instance, Slaughters are very explicit in saying it should be no more than a page of A4.

I'd say 400-800 words is the usual though. Any longer (unless the firm says it can be longer) and it tends to get a bit long winded.

• 🏆
    Reactions: S87

Giovanna

Standard Member
  • Feb 12, 2021
    HSF AC!! 🤯🤯 This is my first post here but I've been keeping up with these threads for a few months now and all of the advice and support given by everyone here has been amazing to see :) I've definitely used some of the advice given in my own applications so for that I'm really thankful to everyone here!!

(..and on a side note if anyone has any HSF-specific/commercial awareness/general AC advice I would be extremely grateful as this will be my first one ever!!)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.