TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Largely agree with Rob but having faced this question and discussed it with associates and senior associates, the resounding takeaway that I’ve heard is that they want to know whether you can effectively communicate and delegate. In the first place you need to check with the partner about your conflicting deadline. If the work has been given by two different people (say, a partner and an associate), seniority pulls rank. You do the urgent work for the partner first (after having discussed the deadline with them) and then revert to the associate about the deadline to see whether 1) you’ll still be able to meet it, 2) there’s any flexibility, 3) there’s anyone available to jump in and help out.

As Rob said, different firms will have different “best answers”. If it’s not a multiple choice question, I’d try to set out the different points to take into account and then reason why you’d act one way over another (and whether particular factors might influence how you act).

Other people likely disagree but I think as long as you can demonstrate those key competencies (communication, delegation, organization), you’re on the right path.
I am not convinced that seniority always pulls rank. Clients ultimately pull rank and therefore if the associate's work is for a client and the partner's is not (which it could easily be), although the partner says it is important, they don't know the importance of other things you are working on.

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell and Rob93

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Depends on the firm - some give you a specific length to aim for. For instance, Slaughters are very explicit in saying it should be no more than a page of A4.

I'd say 400-800 words is the usual though. Any longer (unless the firm says it can be longer) and it tends to get a bit long winded.
Thank you @Jessica Booker and @Rob93 ,

I have 684 words, for now, trying to cut to 600, but will print the paper before sending my application.

Reactions: Rob93

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    I am not convinced that seniority always pulls rank. Clients ultimately pull rank and therefore if the associate's work is for a client and the partner's is not (which it could easily be), although the partner says it is important, they don't know the importance of other things you are working on.
    I agree, and nothing is “always” true. But I think that goes back to communication and delegation skills. If an associate asks you to i.e. draft a memo that needs to go out to the client by a certain time, it’s relatively easy to delegate that back to the associate or another associate on the matter. By comparison, if a partner asks for i.e. an urgent research note ahead of a call, I think in the grand scheme of things it’s a bigger waste of time and firm resources to have the partner do that.

Ultimately there are various factors that go into the decision - just trying to highlight which skills one would have to use (and for the purpose of discussion, give some insight into answers I’ve heard). 😊

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I agree, and nothing is “always” true. But I think that goes back to communication and delegation skills. If an associate asks you to i.e. draft a memo that needs to go out to the client by a certain time, it’s relatively easy to delegate that back to the associate or another associate on the matter. By comparison, if a partner asks for i.e. an urgent research note ahead of a call, I think in the grand scheme of things it’s a bigger waste of time and firm resources to have the partner do that.

Ultimately there are various factors that go into the decision - just trying to highlight which skills one would have to use (and for the purpose of discussion, give some insight into answers I’ve heard). 😊
    Completely agree on the communication point. It’s what this question is all about alongside collaboration and ensuring the best outcome for clients.

It also about understanding the dynamics/culture of the law firm you are applying to - which is often where these questions are not as “level playing field” as many people suggest they are. One firm’s “do the partner’s work” will be the next firm’s “do the associate’s work”.

Reactions: TC fiend and Rob93

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    a firm has offered me a VS and asked me to confirm Scheme Dates 1. What if i get another offer from a firm that runs at the exact same time, would I be able to change to Scheme Dates 2 at the first firm? @Jessica Booker
    You might be able to change but there is no guarantee of that. If firm 1 is giving you a choice of dates, you may want to factor that in to which dates you choose. If there are dates that won’t clash, you might want to go with those dates to play it safer.

Reactions: George Maxwell

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Completely agree on the communication point. It’s what this question is all about alongside collaboration and ensuring the best outcome for clients.

It also about understanding the dynamics/culture of the law firm you are applying to - which is often where these questions are not as “level playing field” as many people suggest they are. One firm’s “do the partners work” will be the next firm’s “do the associates work”.
    This last point is something I find extremely irksome - how are people outside of the profession expected to have a deep understanding of the work processes and division of responsibilities/priorities within a firm?

Leaving the gripe aside, how does one acquire insights into this?

Reactions: APPLE619

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This last point is something I find extremely irksome - how are people outside of the profession expected to have a deep understanding of the work processes and division of responsibilities/priorities within a firm?

Leaving the gripe aside, how does one acquire insights into this?
    I don’t think you need to have a deep understanding - but I think it’s beneficial to understand some of the basic cultural differences between firms as well as the realities of what life is like in a law firm to really understand these questions.

I think you can get some of this understanding by reading firm’s websites/career pages or by talking to people who have worked for them. The things they value will be there, even if you have to read between the lines a bit. I think you can also delve into things like trainee profiles to sometimes get an insight into how things are done at one firm vs another.

The issue is these differences are often subtle or sometimes hidden between corporate spiel that makes firms sound similar.

Reactions: Rob93 and M777
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.