TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If my interview is centred around a debate of an article, would it then be okay to ask what their view is of the topic in the part for questions at the end? Don’t want to appear invasive
You could - but I wouldn’t spend too much time trying to do this. It’s your opportunity to talk about the firm to find out more about it to work out whether it’s right for you, and you could miss out on this opportunity if you only talk about the article. However, I think an initial question about their thoughts on something in the article is fine.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
If my interview is centred around a debate of an article, would it then be okay to ask what their view is of the topic in the part for questions at the end? Don’t want to appear invasive
This is probably a fine question to ask but I think there is something to be said for reading between the lines from the interviewers. I assume this is a partner interview in the style seen at Slaughters, where they'll push you on either side of a question. After the back-and-forth it might well be clear where the interviewer comes out on the question - a smile, a chuckle might give this away.

If they're a bit more coy, or better thespians, in a perfect world I'd want to ask not 'what do you think' but some kind of oblique question to force their hand, maybe with a counterfactual. That's obviously very context-dependent and I wouldn't bank on being able to do this.

I haven't interviewed for firm grad schemes but I've been interviewed by a lot of lawyers for various roles and one thing I know is lawyers love to talk. It's difficult, but try to pick up both what they're saying outright and what they're saying through tone and nonverbal cues. If they're playing, as they often will be in debate interviews, they'll be chuffed if you can play back.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Has anyone heard anything back from Greenberg Traurig??

Also if anyone has any inside info on their 1st-year trainee/NQ salary I'd be intrigued to know. Seeing as most law firms are so open about salary the fact I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere is making me a bit sceptical.

Considering their revenue, size, US roots, ranking etc I assume it will be pretty similar to other US firms in the city with around £50k for year 1 and then £120k plus for NQ but would be interested to know.
Don't know for sure but I'd expect them to be in market with the most elite US firms for NQ pay - c. £150k

Reactions: ellensdaleoriginal

John Travoni

Legendary Member
Jan 14, 2021
I wanted to know for Watson Glaser percentile does how long you complete the test in effect your percentile. For example, if you complete it in 15 minutes and you have 30 minutes for it and if yes does speed increase your percentile. What are your thoughts on this @Jessica Booker
No. There is only one way you can increase your percentile score in a WG test and that is getting the questions correct.
Remember, your percentile score is based on how you do in comparison to the other candidates taking the test, so it would make no bearing on your score if you do it quickly or slowly.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    No. There is only one way you can increase your percentile score in a WG test and that is getting the questions correct.
    Remember, your percentile score is based on how you do in comparison to the other candidates taking the test, so it would make no bearing on your score if you do it quickly or slowly.
    Thank you very much for this.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I could be wrong but I don't think this is quite right - accuracy is more important than speed, but I've definitely heard of WG tests that have time as a factor

Reactions: ZaraB and h1

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I could be wrong but I don't think this is quite right - accuracy is more important than speed, but I've definitely heard of WG tests that have time as a factor
    Like, insofar as two scores are otherwise equal - let's say 34/40 with precisely the same responses - you will score better having done it in 15 minutes than in 25.

Edit: or rather, rank better.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.