TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
I'm currently going through the Hogan Lovells application form - on the question about innovative and entrepreneurial spirit, the main example I can think of is organising a panel event as president of my university college's law society (through moving the event online due to COVID, liaising with panellists beforehand to help them adapt to technological changes, marketing the event online through social media and through communicating with careers officers and my counterparts at other law societies) - however, the one problem is that I talked about this event for last year's VS application, and received a rejection. I hasten to add that I don't think it was because of this question - not only because I was successful talking at length about this event on other application forms, but also because I feel in hindsight that other answers I submitted were not as good, and the time I submitted the application (mid-late December IIRC) may have been too late, given Hogan Lovells' application policy?

Do you reckon it would be okay to talk about organising the panel event again on this year's application form?

@Jessica Booker

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
I'm currently going through the Hogan Lovells application form - on the question about innovative and entrepreneurial spirit, the main example I can think of is organising a panel event as president of my university college's law society (through moving the event online due to COVID, liaising with panellists beforehand to help them adapt to technological changes, marketing the event online through social media and through communicating with careers officers and my counterparts at other law societies) - however, the one problem is that I talked about this event for last year's VS application, and received a rejection. I hasten to add that I don't think it was because of this question - not only because I was successful talking at length about this event on other application forms, but also because I feel in hindsight that other answers I submitted were not as good, and the time I submitted the application (mid-late December IIRC) may have been too late, given Hogan Lovells' application policy?

Do you reckon it would be okay to talk about organising the panel event again on this year's application form?

@Jessica Booker
Not Jessica but this sounds like a great example of innovation so I would use it again if you want to. However, I would consider redrafting your answer and make sure you use the STAR format if appropriate (not sure the exact wording of question).

Reactions: pfoapplicant

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    What is the consensus about including an address to a cover letter? This firm is quite specific about the CL being 1 page long so if I add an address, my CL will be longer than the recommended 1 page :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.