TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    Thank you! Also, is preparing a few hours before the AC recommended.. remember seeing something in the forum suggest that I should try to do something unrelated immediately prior to the AC to help with nerves.
    Personally before my AC's i went through all my notes to ensure they were fresh in my brain. I also checked all the major news outlets and read through any new developments on my topics of interest ( but I didn't need to use the information in my interviews anyways, however it is better to be safe than sorry).

Reactions: George Maxwell

lawlondon65

Mar 1, 2021
    I know this sort of question has been asked quite often but I am particularly nervous for my first AC (in just 12 days!). It's my first ever cycle and feel fortunate to have an AC with Burges Salmon. Does anybody have any particular tips or experiences for a virtual AC with BS? I'm trying my hardest, but given it's my first attempt, I am worried I might be approaching it all wrong.
    In my Burges Salmon interview, they were really nice and my interview was v. conversational. Lots of follow up questions, detail on your CV/application. But in a way to learn more about you rather than catch you ou

Reactions: corinium

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Thank you! Also, is preparing a few hours before the AC recommended.. remember seeing something in the forum suggest that I should try to do something unrelated immediately prior to the AC to help with nerves.
    I read some of the news updates in the morning and the night before read up on the firm from my notes but really avoided doing too much (bc I was sick) and it really helped me calm down! I thought I was incredibly unprepared but nothing unknown came up in the AC. So it’s completely up to you and how you feel!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Dechert rejection now it is starting to get to me these rejections 3 rejections in 3 days.
    I got mine too, I am not that disappointed because I am conflicted about their work. Only applied because I did the CAC finals and semifinals with them and was invited to apply. They are very strict with their academic requirements and personally not a great deal of fun!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I got mine too, I am not that disappointed because I am conflicted about their work. Only applied because I did the CAC finals and semifinals with them and was invited to apply. They are very strict with their academic requirements and personally not a great deal of fun!
    You got to the CAC final omg that is really good. Yes I guess it is because of the academics.

Reactions: GXA123

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021

By very 'strict', does that mean they don't really take mitigating circumstances into account? Or very 'strict' in that, you need to have high 2.1s and firsts? (Asking out of curiosity, didn't apply there this year)

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    Yeah I applied to Dechert after completing the AS CAC semi finals and receiving the email to apply. I haven't heard back from them yet though which is odd...

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    In the two case study presentations I’ve done the assessor has always commented on the fact that mine was shorter than they generally expected. It always puts me off when they say this but it’s always followed up by “no it’s fine, it’s how you answer the questions that matters” and “you covered enough ground anyway”. But it always makes me think, why tell me then?!
    Maybe to see how you would react to pressure/difficult questions?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.