TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
During AC commercial exercise presentations, do we have to present with all the formalities (“act the role”) or do we just get straight into it? E.g if the brief says “you are a trainee and will be outlining the pros/cons of an acquisition to this partner”.. do we have to introduce ourselves as a trainee etc

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Although on paper the odds might look better I'm not sure how successful this approach would be. How can you demonstrate how passionate you are for that job and that TC when the reality is that you are not you just want any TC. I can say that I get a lot more success with my apps when I can demonstrate I want that TC and that firm and that office by focusing on the sectors because its pretty clear I want to do tech transactions work than when I apply to just a city firm in general. Arguably I've had better odds on paper with the big firms as they offer more TCs per applicant but I've got much further through the process with US firms that have many more applicants per available TC when I can evidence why that particular TC and firm is the one I want.
We also can't assume regional offices are so much less competitive than London that aspiring London lawyers should apply to the regions, and then hope they'll get to transfer to London later on. Regional offices still attract 100s (if not 1000s) of applications, especially from students looking to practice in the region permanently (especially students who went to uni in the area). So if an applicant can't convey a genuine interest in working in the regions permanently, then they'll struggle just as much as with London TCs.

So applying to the regions technically increases your odds as you're applying to more places. But a career in the regions compared to a career in London is like comparing apples and oranges.

PS - I'm the exact same as you when it comes to US firms vs big firms!

Beluga

Star Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jan 31, 2021
@Jessica Booker if I have an interview for a direct TC on Monday but my spring vacation scheme says you can’t do the vac scheme if you had a TC offer accepted (and I would rather do the spring vac scheme), is there any point doing the direct TC interview? Do many firms let you extend the period to accept the offer?
I think this depends on the firm but both firms I have offers with have allowed me extensions by a few months so I can explore my options (and one has even considered extending so I can do a summer VS). Hope this gives you some peace of mind :)

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
Dec 11, 2021
I think this depends on the firm but both firms I have offers with have allowed me extensions by a few months so I can explore my options (and one has even considered extending so I can do a summer VS). Hope this gives you some peace of mind :)
Thanks so much!! This firm only hires through direct TC soooo not sure if that means they want everything sorted in Feb time

• Wow
Reactions: George Maxwell and Beluga

Beluga

Star Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jan 31, 2021
Does anyone else feel deflated and like every single AC they do could have gone so much better...or just me? Am finding this part of the process just quite overwhelming.
Once I accidentally came up with (what I thought was) a catchy slogan in a group exercise which was clearly very much innuendo in hindsight ... I thought about it every night before I went to sleep

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Does anyone else feel deflated and like every single AC they do could have gone so much better...or just me? Am finding this part of the process just quite overwhelming.
    Everyone overanalyses and is very self-critical after an AC!

Please have faith in yourself - you are clearly an impressive candidate to reach an AC! Try not to overthink and relax knowing the hard part is over!

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    I’m sorry to hear that!

Is that Simons Muirhead Burton? So many abbreviations these days…

I haven’t heard back from them yet 😬
    It is indeed! To be fair, I only heard back because I emailed for an update (and also to enquire about their VS, too). Still going ahead with a VS application anyway; no harm in trying after all! Good luck :)

Reactions: Lumree

Emily K

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 29, 2018
    I relate so so much. Just come out of an AC today and already feeling disappointed in myself 🙃 worst thing is trying to not to let it affect my preparation for an interview tomorrow morning but it's so difficult - feel like I lose confidence after each interview lol

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    I get this- I was in the same boat during my applications and just gave up on application-related things for a couple of months. Took that break to reflect on whether I was motivated to go back to making applications and came back only when I felt sure to take on the emotional rollercoaster of making applications. Maybe that'll help?
    For sure! Totally agree with your point. I think it's simply because at the moment, I'm studying my MA, working two jobs whilst looking for another because I need a job change, and just trying to keep on top of everything. Very overwhelming, but just taking my time with applications!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

gigglingsquid

Oct 30, 2021
    I have quite a silly question :)) when a firm's AC mentions a written exercise, could this be a case study? Or is there a difference between case studies and written exercises?
    A case study can take the form of either an interview or a written exercise. So you could be given a case study to read through and then the partner would have a chat with you about it. Or you could read through the information brief and write your response which is mostly about advising a client based on your analysis of the information.

• 🤝
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell and ap28

Beluga

Star Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 31, 2021
    I have quite a silly question :)) when a firm's AC mentions a written exercise, could this be a case study? Or is there a difference between case studies and written exercises?
    It seems to depend on the AC! Some types I have experienced:
    - Document checking exercise (not content review but typos, formatting and grammar errors etc)
    - Writing a recommendation to a client based on materials, then discussing it with partners as part of the interview
    - Writing an email summarising materials and how it applies to the client, but not actually discussing it as part of the interview

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.