TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Shall we try and not pick fights on this forum at every opportunity? And considering how others may read what you say is a good skill moving forward into the professional world.
    Thanks for the top tip. I ‘read what you say’ as an unnecessary interjection and contradiction to your suggestion to stop picking fights.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Does everything require a feminist reading?

It was a joke to lighten the mood in a stressful time for many of us.

Plus, I’m pretty sure that women get post-nut clarity too so I don’t think you’re being particularly inclusive 😂
    Why shouldn't everything be read from a feminist perspective as well as the male gaze, women are 50% of the population after all.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The interview did go well, but now I'm stuck overthinking every single answer I gave and how I acted! I'm trying to forget about it as, like you said, there is nothing more that I can do: I did my best and that's all I could have done. Thank you so much for your support as always!

I'm just trying to remind myself that the feedback so far from the firm was very very positive so hopefully they look at it holistically before making a VS decision. Maybe @Jessica Booker can shed some light on this?
    Undoubtedly will look at things holistically - otherwise there would be little point in having each assessment.

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    p ironic situ here. As a third party bystander, this is what I'm seeing has occurred. Someone posted something (in my opinion funny, but also a bit controversial), in response, you seized the opportunity to aggravate the situ and give a personal opinion on how it doesn't fit with what you expect to be posted on the forum. (instead of ignoring the message, which someone wanting to avoid a fight would do) it seems you wanted to make it into an antagonistic discussion. And now, you are reverting back to an easily defensible, but slightly irrelevant position to the argument, that everything should be read with a feminist gaze. leaving alone the fact, that the term feminism has a very broad definition and your statement begs the question what a feminist perspective is
    Thank you, I couldn’t have said this better myself.

• Dislike
    Reactions: S87, Donuttime and GXA123

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    p ironic situ here. As a third party bystander, this is what I'm seeing has occurred. Someone posted something (in my opinion funny, but also a bit controversial), in response, you seized the opportunity to aggravate the situ and give a personal opinion on how it doesn't fit with what you expect to be posted on the forum. (instead of ignoring the message, which someone wanting to avoid a fight would do) it seems you wanted to make it into an antagonistic discussion. And now, you are reverting back to an easily defensible, but slightly irrelevant position to the argument, that everything should be read with a feminist gaze. leaving alone the fact, that the term feminism has a very broad definition and your statement begs the question what a feminist perspective is
    It wasn't my intention to antagonise at all - but I can see how that has occurred. The reason I am so active on this forum is the support, kindness and inclusivity shown by its members. I was simply highlighting that those values should be considered in all postings and that word choices and the subsequent potential interpretation matter, something that aspiring commercial lawyers should be acutely aware of considering the importance of words in a contract. I think every single person on this forum knows the journey to a training contract sucks and this forum makes it that little bit less awful (and several make it that little bit more hunger inducing - every time I post on here I get the unwavering urge to eat Taco Bell).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    OK - this is Jess talking from a personal opinion/perspective rather than in a TCLA formal role here. As a member of the community manager team, I may respond more formally in time.

Before posting, I recommend people think "would I say this out loud in a room full of people I didn't know". Anonymity is great on this forum (not that I would know much about that now, but I did in my TSR days), but one of the negative side effects it does have is it often leads to people having a false bravado. And that bravado can often offend people (whether intentionally or not) and have a tendency to make people double down when challenged. If you really wouldn't interact like this if you were having this conversation at an end of open day drinks reception, just wonder if it is appropriate in this forum.

Yes, we all like a laugh on this forum, especially when people are stressed - it is a really great antidote. But please recognise that not everyone is going to agree with your form of laughter/stress relief. And, yes, we respect people's right to post freely. We also respect people's right to be offended and to challenge people's thinking though. However, be mindful that we have terms and rules that I would encourage everyone to remind themselves of at the same time. The rules can be found here: (1) Terms and rules | The Corporate Law Academy Forum - I would particularly recommend reading section one and asking yourself whether your behaviour could be considered to fall under any of these categories, but especially regarding baiting and trolling.

Sorry to go all mother hen on you all right now, but it's times like this when it is needed.

Last edited:

BioSTEM

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 9, 2021
    Not assuming at all. This forum allows for freedom of speech. I’m just giving my own opinion. You’ve mentioned multiple times on how there is a “lack of Black representation” which is VERY UNTRUE.

I was just speaking to a very good friend who is Black and is now an associate at White & Case and he mentioned how there are many Black people at the firm. But, sometimes not all people want to put themselves forward at firm events/insights days.

And I would like to know why does it matter what colour a HR person is? Not like that it will make a difference! The recruitment process for most firms are fair.
    How are you saying that you aren't making any assumptions when you're literally making a generalisation about the representation of Black people in the corporate world from one friend at one firm with one specific experience? Please do your own research regarding statistics of BME representation in corporate law, as well as the severe lack of representation in senior positions and where there is representation - why the rate of attrition for BME and Black lawyers specifically is so high. This is such an intellectually dishonest way to approach the problem of racism which is still very apparent in the corporate world.

ScrappyDoo

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2021
    OK - this is Jess talking from a personal opinion/perspective rather than in a TCLA formal role here. As a member of the community manager team, I may respond more formally in time.

Before posting, I recommend people think "would I say this out loud in a room full of people I didn't know". Anonymity is great on this forum (not that I would know much about that now, but I did in my TSR days), but one of the negative side effects it does have is it often leads to people having a false bravado. And that bravado can often offend people (whether intentionally or not) and have a tendency to make people double down when challenged. If you really wouldn't interact like this if you were having this conversation at an end of open day drinks reception, just wonder if it is appropriate in this forum.

Yes, we all like a laugh on this forum, especially when people are stressed - it is a really great antidote. But please recognise that not everyone is going to agree with your form of laughter/stress relief. And, yes, we respect people's right to post freely. We also respect people's right to be offended and to challenge people's thinking though. However, be mindful that we have terms and rules that I would encourage everyone to remind themselves of at the same time. The rules can be found here: (1) Terms and rules | The Corporate Law Academy Forum - I would particularly recommend reading section one and asking yourself whether your behaviour could be considered to fall under any of these categories, but especially regarding baiting and trolling.

Sorry to go all mother hen on you all right now, but it's times like this when it is needed.
    Well said Jessica! 👏🏻

Reactions: LS_1998 and OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.