TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
I am new to the LinkedIn and ngl I am constantly cringing at all the posts I keep seeing 😭😭. "grateful to have received offers from a, b, c, d, e, f and g schemes. unfortunately however they all overlap so I have got some tough decisions to make and will have to reject most of them! thank you to all the respective grad rec teams and my mum and dad!!! not looking forward to the tough decisions that lie ahead." I sound like a hater but honestly find it extremely cringe and a bit of a useless thing to post 😂 (especially cause they tag all the firms aswell just to tell them they'll be rejecting them)
Honestly, more graduate recruitment managers should be looking to hire candidates like me, who have 0 competing offers.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
so good to see @Rob93 back in the haus
They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Honestly, more graduate recruitment managers should be looking to hire candidates like me, who have 0 competing offers.
I swear that one of the major downsides of this being an anonymous forum is that GR Managers can't work out who the most helpful/supportive/insightful people are on this forum. Otherwise, I would expect them to be stalking these pages and tapping up TCLA people all the time. I reckon they would value these behaviours more than the braggy LinkedIn posts (especially where they couldn't be tagged in them).....

The only saving grace when someone does tag you into a braggy post with a million other people is that you have this option 🤣

1645489863569.png

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Emailing HR and saying you have a competing offer but would reject it for their firm. More common in IB but don't see why it wouldn't work in law

IB is slightly different as you typically can only do one internship where they are 8-12 weeks long.

If you are going to accept the offer though, I don't see the benefit of telling them you have a competing offer you are going to reject.

Edit - sorry its late and I misunderstood - On reflection, I am assuming you mean when you haven't had an offer from Firm A and so you want to tell them you have offers from firm B and C, but you would turn B or C down to attend Firm A's scheme?

If so, this happens all the time in law too.

Reactions: George Maxwell

alkaline222

Standard Member
Feb 20, 2022
IB is slightly different as you typically can only do one internship where they are 8-12 weeks long.

If you are going to accept the offer though, I don't see the benefit of telling them you have a competing offer you are going to reject.
True the time length difference is a good point but in this instance the two firms overlap.

I've butchered the explanation of this, what I'm trying to say is I would email firm X - who hasn't progressed me beyond the first stage yet - saying their competitor, firm Y, has given me an offer

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
True the time length difference is a good point but in this instance the two firms overlap.

I've butchered the explanation of this, what I'm trying to say is I would email firm X - who hasn't progressed me beyond the first stage yet - saying their competitor, firm Y, has given me an offer
Wasn't your fault - my brain isn't working! Just seen the time but see my edit in my previous post.

Tired Go To Sleep GIF by bluesbear

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.