TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachael.Elisa

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 15, 2021
Just curious, how many VS do people normally secure in their first application cycle?
At my university, the average is 0. I don't think anyone has secured as VS from my year so far (I'm a second year), and as far as I know only one person did the previous year. This may not be representative of all universities though.

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
4-5 VS offers is pretty common. The number then likely increases if you also take into account TC offers from the completed VS’. Beyond that, ppl normally withdraw/refrain from pursuing their other apps because of clashing dates - so they usually start applying to Direct TCs from there on.
4-5 vs offers is common?! I don’t think this is accurate

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
I s
Just curious, how many VS do people normally secure in their first application cycle?
I secured 0 and I think its on the rare side to secure on your first cycle. When I compare my applications/understanding of what commercial law is, what the city is and general commercial awareness, it all makes sense to me why I didn't secure any. With time, you gain exposure and general knowledge which will automatically make your applications stronger!

Reactions: George Maxwell and OB

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I s

I secured 0 and I think its on the rare side to secure on your first cycle. When I compare my applications/understanding of what commercial law is, what the city is and general commercial awareness, it all makes sense to me why I didn't secure any. With time, you gain exposure and general knowledge which will automatically make your applications stronger!
    I agree I had a similar experience! and my second cycle is very successful compared to my first

APPLE619

Star Member
    Dec 6, 2021
    When it comes to getting VS's I think it's very important to remember getting 1 is the biggest challenge out there. The applicants who can secure one in the first place often have the necessary skills to secure another (i.e. strong commercial awareness, the ability to write good applications, strong grades etc). In my opinion, there isn't a huge amount of difference between someone who secured one vac scheme and someone who secured 4, simply because you already can demonstrate the necessary skills to secure multiple vac schemes once you've secured the first one. This is why, in my opinion, I see many people either securing 0 vac schemes (i.e. luck wasn't on their side or they simply may not have been good enough this cycle), 1 vac scheme (and no more because why to bother or it'll overlap with others), or some high number like 4 (because they were skilled enough to get one, and now can just get multiple since they have the skills).

My point is there's no point comparing yourself to someone who received 4 VS offers (and thinking that the person who secured 1 or 0 isn't as great) – there are many factors that can come into play (i.e. he/she made fewer applications, or the VS they secured overlaps with many other VS dates). I recommend focusing on just getting one and keeping your head up!

lawstudent1111

Premium Member
    Aug 22, 2021
    I s

I agree I had a similar experience! and my second cycle is very successful compared to my first
    Out of curiosity - did you do anything specifically to make your applications better from one cycle to the next? eg. apply earlier, focus more on commercial awareness etc.? What would you suggest doing?

Reactions: George Maxwell

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    When it comes to getting VS's I think it's very important to remember getting 1 is the biggest challenge out there. The applicants who can secure one in the first place often have the necessary skills to secure another (i.e. strong commercial awareness, the ability to write good applications, strong grades etc). In my opinion, there isn't a huge amount of difference between someone who secured one vac scheme and someone who secured 4, simply because you already can demonstrate the necessary skills to secure multiple vac schemes once you've secured the first one. This is why, in my opinion, I see many people either securing 0 vac schemes (i.e. luck wasn't on their side or they simply may not have been good enough this cycle), 1 vac scheme (and no more because why to bother or it'll overlap with others), or some high number like 4 (because they were skilled enough to get one, and now can just get multiple since they have the skills).

My point is there's no point comparing yourself to someone who received 4 VS offers (and thinking that the person who secured 1 or 0 isn't as great) – there are many factors that can come into play (i.e. he/she made fewer applications, or the VS they secured overlaps with many other VS dates). I recommend focusing on just getting one and keeping your head up!

this is such excellent advice! thank you, friend!

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    4-5 vs offers is common?! I don’t think this is accurate
    I think it depends on what you class as common.

There will be enough people who secure 4-5 VS offers a year to say it isn't rare but how common it is will depend on the people you are looking at. For instance, I suspect it is different if you are considering regional firms over opportunities in London. For people aiming for firms with more of a niche, it will be less than those who are just applying to any international law firm.

Reactions: GXA123 and OB

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Honestly, what made the biggest difference for me was - mindset. After failing to convert my first vac scheme into a training contract and then failing to get any vac schemes for two years, I was devastated. I spent two years going through hundreds of applications made by other students trying to identify a formula for how to write successful applications without any avail. In all honesty, I equated my value and self-esteem with a training contract and vac scheme, thus allowing every rejection to bring me down just a little bit more. This was definitely the most toxic thing I have ever done to myself because instead of emphasising my own characteristics and skills and interests in applications, I was now in a mindset where I was constantly comparing myself to other applicants and feeling pretty low about myself. Mind you, this problem was a lot harder to deal with because I am also an international student and in my Asian country there is an incredible amount of pressure to be successful, especially if you study abroad, and failing to convert a degree into a job abroad is usually quite shameful in the society I come from. All of this translated into the quality of applications I was sending out, because they were now looking increasingly replicated and generic and did not nearly cover my interests + skills adequately.

So last year, after I graduated, I genuinely asked myself - is this career still something I want and something I am equipped for, or is it peer-pressure from being in law school and only being considered successful if you have an 'incoming trainee solicitor' tag on linkedin? I have always been deeply interested in law and enjoyed all my exposure to law firms, so I knew this was definitely the career I wanted and then this became the starting point for me to recalibrate my mindset.

Over the last year then, I only made applications to firms that genuinely interested me, even if they were slightly smaller, and avoided making applications just for their prestige or reputation. I focussed on myself and my interests, attending virtual law fairs and speaking to solicitors about the work they did to understand what practice area focus should I maintain. A tip here (and this might be slightly controversial) is that I did not let any peers proof-read my applications - I did this because for me personally, this exercise was a gateway to doubting myself and letting other people dictate what I should convey about myself rather than choosing myself. I also focussed on shedding away some of my writing flourish and chose instead to write in a direct and mature manner - always answering the question and linking the skill/experience back to the firm without giving excessive details. Finally, and this was something I was only able to do after graduating, was making early applications. Most assessment centres I secured this year involved me sending out the application a day or two after the firm's window opened, so I will really really recommend if you can to send out the application super early!

In the end, if I had to summarise and talk about the single most effective tip to getting a tc - it is resilience. As long as you keep dusting yourself off, recalibrating, re-applying and reconsidering your career goals, you will get that TC. Regardless of the external pressure associated with this career, only you determine your self-worth and I promise that if you just keep making those applications - something incredible will come out of it :)
    @s10 this is one of the best posts I've seen on the forum recently. Your self-awareness and willingness to reflect on what was working and wasn't is commendable and will hold you in good stead in any endeavour you choose to embark upon in the future. So so inspiring 👏 👏 👏

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @s10 this is one of the best posts I've seen on the forum recently. Your self-awareness and willingness to reflect on what was working and wasn't is commendable and will hold you in good stead in any endeavour you choose to embark upon in the future. So so inspiring 👏 👏 👏
    Just want to reiterate this message. Contributions to threads like this really make TCLA the community it is. Thank you @s10 for taking the time to post this and for being so candid too.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

jellybelly123

Star Member
    Nov 1, 2021
    @Jessica Booker

I'm in a situation where I need to cancel a training contract interview which is in two days time. I have emailed and called graduate recruitment, as well as the firm's main phone line but no one has got back to me. I'm slightly worried that they may not receive the info before the interview on Wednesday. Is there anything you recommend that I should do? Thanks! :)

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

I'm in a situation where I need to cancel a training contract interview which is in two days time. I have emailed and called graduate recruitment, as well as the firm's main phone line but no one has got back to me. I'm slightly worried that they may not receive the info before the interview on Wednesday. Is there anything you recommend that I should do? Thanks! :)
    Nothing much more you can do unfortunately - if you have emailed and called, I am sure someone will pick up the message. If you haven't heard anything back by Tuesday afternoon, you could try to call again to see if you can speak to someone.

Reactions: jellybelly123

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    Out of curiosity - did you do anything specifically to make your applications better from one cycle to the next? eg. apply earlier, focus more on commercial awareness etc.? What would you suggest doing?
    This is an interesting question.

To be honest, last year I pretty much applied to every firm on the deadline. This time I applied to a few way before the deadline but was unsuccessful with all of those. I've actually been more successful with the ones that I submitted on the deadline. So while submitting it earlier is way better in theory, in my situation that wasn't the reason why I've been more successful.

Many people will disagree with me, but in my experience with how ambiguous the application process is, submitting only a few applications significantly lowers your chances (especially if you don't have a very strong 2:1 or a 1:1 undergrad). I believe it is a numbers game unless you're one of the rare people who have cracked the code for what an exemplar application looks like.

My applications have overall gotten stronger, but are they much stronger now? no.

I believe my growth has come not at the initial application stage but at the stages later on. So while I still find it hard to make it past the initial stage, I find it much easier post that initial stage. With experience, I have become much more comfortable with video interviews and in group exercises/interviews I believe I demonstrate a somewhat strong commercial understanding.

SO my point of advice is: submit as many applications as you can that you believe are strong. And whilst doing so, make sure you are constantly building up your commercial knowledge and business accumen. If you can get past one initial application stage, the most ambiguous and mysterious stage, then you can work hard to get a vac scheme/TC. The other stages are where one can truly grow and develop exponentially.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.