TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Just curious, how many VS do people normally secure in their first application cycle?
    In my case 0. I only got a VS in my third cycle but I felt my first cycle was a bit of a practice run! Other may have been preparing for ages to apply for their first cycle! It’s not really a quantifiable thing as it really depends on every candidate, their situation, motivation and abilities!

unserious candidate

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Agreed, thanks for letting us know and for being so subtle about it 😂
    I saw a few responses to the post stating a number - I assumed people were giving the figures from their first cycle to give OP a range of what’s possible. e.g. the post following mine saying they got 0 in their case. It goes without saying it’s multi factorial with luck being a big factor.
    Don’t be salty!

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    I saw a few responses to the post stating a number - I assumed people were giving the figures from their first cycle to give OP a range of what’s possible. e.g. the post following mine saying they got 0 in their case. It goes without saying it’s multi factorial with luck being a big factor.
    Don’t be salty!
    I’m not salty - I’ve also secured multiple VS. It just came across as insensitive, in my opinion.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    personal observation from a top uni in London: 4 at max, mean/median 2, lots without offers.

I understand people may want to share that they've got many offers in their first cycle here, which is a massive achievement indeed (we love to hear those!), but it's worth knowing that this isn't necessarily the "normal". Personally I've received many ACs and offers but I'm very conscious that I'm in a privileged position (socio-economic, educational level, previous knowledge about the legal industry before applying, etc.) with quite a bit of luck. People who reads that it's "normal" to secure 4 offers may start to blame themselves for "failing" to get any and lose confidence - so let's be realistic and considerate here when sharing such information.

I mean if you think about it statistically, a firm usually receives some 3000+ applications but has 40-60 VS places (US firms with like 10 places). :)
    I love this post so much what you said was spot on and I applaud you for this as some people can't get past the online application stage or the online test stage.

Also, for anyone before saying you got 4 VS offers think about how it can affect another person's mental health when they read that.

Also, I sometimes get the assumption that people in this forum who get multiple VS offers are from prestigious universities but we need to take a step back and think that everyone's journey is different and everyone has challenges they face in the application stage.

Finally most importantly talking about multiple VS offers be wary of how it can affect another person's mental health especially if it is your first application cycle and someone who has been applying for more than 32 cycles.

Sorry if I went on and said too much but this is my opinion.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I love this post so much what you said was spot on and I applaud you for this as some people can't get past the online application stage or the online test stage.

Also, for anyone before saying you got 4 VS offers think about how it can affect another person's mental health when they read that.

Also, I sometimes get the assumption that people in this forum who get multiple VS offers are from prestigious universities but we need to take a step back and think that everyone's journey is different and everyone has challenges they face in the application stage.

Finally most importantly talking about multiple VS offers be wary of how it can affect another person's mental health especially if it is your first application cycle and someone who has been applying for more than 32 cycles.

Although I agree with the sentiment here and know exactly how it feels to apply for several cycles and seeing no results, I do think its unfair to prevent those who no doubt worked very hard to get schemes from posting about it when they are asked. Part of the process, for me at least, was coming to terms with rejections and reflecting on what was going wrong - this included unfairly comparing myself- but I think its dangerous to prevent those from celebrating for the sake of other's mental health because at the end of the day everyone's story is different. We do not know how hard those who get 4+ schemes on their first go have worked prior to getting their schemes and therefore it is unfair to judge them. Platforms like the TCLA are both for celebrating success and supporting through rejections. Also I agree with you on the judging those from prestigious unis, as someone who graduated from one of those but comes from a diverse background I often feel like I should be doing "better" but I have come to realise that this process really is not as black and white as perhaps we sometimes feel it is, especially after several rejections! I don't mean this to sound harsh if thats the way it comes across, I just like the TCLA platform allowing everyone to celebrate and commiserate together!

unserious candidate

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
  • Nov 7, 2021

i’m a bit lost. following the conversation above re 4-5 offers being “common” or “not uncommon” why would it rattle someone to discover that it applies some people on the forum?

also to add: i personally value transparency over faux-modesty. if i was curious about the typical no. of offers ppl get i’d like to hear takes from people across the spectrum.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Although I agree with the sentiment here and know exactly how it feels to apply for several cycles and seeing no results, I do think its unfair to prevent those who no doubt worked very hard to get schemes from posting about it when they are asked. Part of the process, for me at least, was coming to terms with rejections and reflecting on what was going wrong - this included unfairly comparing myself- but I think its dangerous to prevent those from celebrating for the sake of other's mental health because at the end of the day everyone's story is difference. We do not know how hard those who get 4+ schemes on their first go have worked prior to getting their schemes and therefore it is unfair to judge them. Platforms like the TCLA are both for celebrating success and supporting through rejections. Also I agree with you on the judging those from prestigious unis, as someone who graduated from one of those but comes from a diverse background I often feel like I should be doing "better" but I have come to realise that this process really is not as black and white as perhaps we sometimes feel it is, especially after several rejections! I don't mean this to sound harsh if thats the way it comes across, I just like the TCLA platform allowing everyone to celebrate and commiserate together!
    No I did not say that you should not celebrate it but I support anyone on the forum who has received multip;e offers.

I agree with everything you said everyone has had their challenges and we should not assume things. Sorry if I said it in a way that came off wrong.

unserious candidate

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
  • Nov 7, 2021
    I think it is not common to get multiple VS offers.
    i mean, i have no insight whatsoever. there was a conversation a couple of pages back where someone who does have better insight said it is not uncommon. does this info rattle you? or is it only problematic if someone personally states it happens to apply in their case?

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    i’m a bit lost. following the conversation above re 4-5 offers being “common” or “not uncommon” why would it rattle someone to discover that it applies some people on the forum?

also to add: i personally value transparency over faux-modesty. if i was curious about the typical no. of offers ppl get i’d like to hear takes from people across the spectrum.
    Tbf 4 isn't unheard of in this forum- major congrats! My parents were cracking open the champagne after my first vac scheme offer, so if I was in your shoes I'd be pretty hammered by now.

More generally, I think when people ask "how many offers do people get in their first cycle", it's like asking how long a piece of string is. Some people "get" the application process straight away, others take a lot more time to get the hang of it- and that's just how it goes. Took me two cycles to get an interview and 3 to get a VS offer, but just getting that 1 phone call makes it all worth it.

unserious candidate

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Has anyone heard anything from Mishcon today? They were supposed to get back to us on Friday and I still have nothing!
    hope it isn’t insensitive to answer this one. 🤣

i got an email earlier today saying there’s a delay and i should get further info about the case interview by wed. probably means they’re delayed with everything else too

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I realise I may not have helped with my earlier posts on this conversation earlier.

I'd encourage everyone to normalise every outcome of how many vacation scheme offers someone gets.

We are talking about a process with so many variables, that the one thing that is really tricky to do is to say what an "average" is. We aren't taking anything into account as to why that average number might be what it is either.

None of that is helpful in my opinion.

From doing this for nearly 18 years, my experience is:
    • Many people get 0 vacation schemes, even across multiple cycles.
    • Many people get 1-2 offers, whether it be across one or multiple cycles
    • Many people get a lot of offers, sometimes in a really short period or time, in others other multiple years
    All of those outcomes are normal in my opinion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.