TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry unrelated but how long does the SQE take? Also where sponsored will firms require you to attend a uni of their choice?
It’s a varied length as really the SQE is just a set of exams rather than a specific course.

Sponsored firms may put you on a preferred suppliers prep course for the assessments, but are likely to tell you which SQE sitting you will need to have passed by.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It was a member of the GR team, she told me she will make note of it and be in touch!
If they have said they have noted it, I would just wait to hear from them rather than follow up. If you haven’t heard back within a couple of weeks, then send a brief email stating you are keen to still be considered for a TC and ask whether you need to provide any further information in relation to that.

Reactions: 21wajsz

asf49955

Dec 29, 2021
For this question:

Please list any voluntary work experience that you may have, including one week and one day placements. Please specify the name of the organisation, location and dates of the placement

I dont really have anything to say as I have already listed my work experience and volunteering in another section? Can I include virtual internships here or is that not appropriate?
I will say it's good to include it as long as you are not putting a list of 10+ virtual experience in it.
3-4 virtual internship experience is adequate to show your proactiveness to learn.

tc.la.vs

Esteemed Member
Mar 1, 2021
over the moon to say that after two years, 50+ applications, a load of interviews, 2 vac schemes and infinite rejections I have been offered a TC somewhere I love! I am so so so beyond grateful and wish everyone on here the best of luck. This process has made me feel very crushed on occasion and I am incredibly thankful to be out of it tbh! Thanks everyone for contributing to these forums, they truly are so helpful. I hope you all have a lovely weekend and get the TC of your dreams

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
over the moon to say that after two years, 50+ applications, a load of interviews, 2 vac schemes and infinite rejections I have been offered a TC somewhere I love! I am so so so beyond grateful and wish everyone on here the best of luck. This process has made me feel very crushed on occasion and I am incredibly thankful to be out of it tbh! Thanks everyone for contributing to these forums, they truly are so helpful. I hope you all have a lovely weekend and get the TC of your dreams
Wow @tc.la.vs this is absolutely incredible news! Please make sure you celebrate this weekend - all of us at TCLA are so proud of you 😊

• Love
Reactions: tc.la.vs

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is fantastic news - congratulations!

Party Celebrate GIF

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker,

If I have vacation schemes over summer, would it be worth applying to TCs now? I have little legal work exp. currently, but many TC apps (S&M for instance) open in June and recruit on a rolling basis. Would it be sensible to wait and apply after my vac schemes? Or should I mention to grad rec that I have upcoming vac schemes?

Thanks
Hi @captainhilts, this is a great question!

First of all, congratulations on your vac schemes! It is impressive to hear that you are driven to keep applying despite having secured vac schemes 😊

First of all, it is always worth applying to more firms if you have the time, no question! Even though you are clearly an excellent applicant from your vac scheme successes, you always boost your chances further with more apps, plus direct TC applications are a great route to take (see @AvniD's excellent thread about them here) as there is a prospect of ending up with a TC offer without having to go through a vac scheme!

You will be able to leverage your future vac schemes in your direct TC apps and I think this will help you pass the application stage! This leverage will be even stronger once you have completed the schemes, but by the time your direct TC interviews come around anyway you may have completed the schemes and so will have things to talk about then from your experiences :)

I noticed a massive difference in the success rate of my apps getting past the application stage after securing my vac schemes, but very little difference between the period before starting and after completing the vac schemes. I understood this to mean that firms will sometimes take the fact that you have been accepted to vacation schemes as if you have already been vetted as a good applicant and think that they may as well bring you to interview (although of course I cannot guarantee this, I am just speaking from my anecdotal experience).

In an actual interview, you will not have much that is interesting to say about a future vacation scheme, however, so it will be better if you have actually done the scheme. That said, for the rolling firms I would not hold off on submitting your application now because, as I mentioned, you may well have completed the scheme by the time it comes round to an interview.

Ultimately, this process is about being strategic with your applications and if you have the time to put in some direct TC apps now for the rolling firms and some for the non-rolling firms after you have done the schemes, then you will be able to maximise your chances of getting a TC! If you do not have time then don't stress and put in the apps when you have the opportunity to work on them more thoroughly :)

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I don't understand this question "Making a difference to our people, our community and our environment is important to us. Our aim is to have a positive impact on all that we do. Tell us what's important to you and what journey this has taken you on so far." what are they asking for?

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    I'm currently waiting for a firm to tell me the outcome of my conversion interview after a VS. The issue is, they make it so the partner who interviewed you is meant to tell you via phone call if you got in. They told these partners quite late on Friday and as such only about half of them got back to us in time before business close (they didn't get back to me and 8 others). I have 2 other TC offers but I want to choose this firm who are yet to inform me of my outcome. Seeing as I know GR must know if I got in, is it ok for me to message one of the GR team members on linkedin to tell me if I got in prior to a potential phone call next week from a partner? I really don't want to wait much longer and it seems odd as I know the GR know the outcome but are instead waiting for very busy partners to tell you instead... And I don't have much time to decide haha

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    if in an interview when they ask "introduce yourself to me in 60s" i was wondering what kind of things would one include? should it be more personal (i.e personal attributes, hobbites, etc) or more achievement/career based (awards, career interests/achievements, etc)?
    This is a really interesting question that I wanted to come back to :)

I know that in this kind of 'tell me about yourself' question I would always try to tell my life story in as concise a way as possible! I wrote a post in my thread about my anecdotal interview experiences where I explain that this is sort of one big motivational question, insofar as you want to tell them a really interesting story about yourself that all culminates in explaining why you are there applying to their firm! You would have to do this very concisely indeed, though to get it done in 60 seconds :D

With this in mind, make sure to mention your intellectual interests, how you developed your career aspirations, other interesting things about you including extra-curricular activities or hobbies you are passionate about and perhaps your cultural background, language skills or anything else that you think is of note!

I am not sure that awards are the most defining characteristics unless they are really big and had a big impact on your life and your confidence in your abilities, for example, but this question is not about listing your resume. Instead, try to show the interviewers your character and handpick the things that you would like to define you as a person, not just as an applicant!

Do try to think about how all of these things relate together, but at the same time do not leave out something important because you don't think it relates. Remember that law firms are looking for a diverse variety of interests in their lawyers and would love to hear about the things that you may not think are directly relevant to law, because they can give you an unique perspective :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: lawcurious

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    I'm currently waiting for a firm to tell me the outcome of my conversion interview after a VS. The issue is, they make it so the partner who interviewed you is meant to tell you via phone call if you got in. They told these partners quite late on Friday and as such only about half of them got back to us in time before business close (they didn't get back to me and 8 others). I have 2 other TC offers but I want to choose this firm who are yet to inform me of my outcome. Seeing as I know GR must know if I got in, is it ok for me to message one of the GR team members on linkedin to tell me if I got in prior to a potential phone call next week from a partner? I really don't want to wait much longer and it seems odd as I know the GR know the outcome but are instead waiting for very busy partners to tell you instead... And I don't have much time to decide haha
    I would not message grad rec on LinkedIn, if I am being honest, as I think that could come across as unprofessional. If you are going to contact them then I would do so by e-mail.

Also, I would not message them something along the lines of 'I know we are supposed to hear from the partners but I know you know the answer...' although I am sure you weren't going to do that anyway 🤣

Instead grad rec always let candidates know to get in touch if they have other offers and need an expedited response, so I would politely e-mail them in that context and let them know when you would need to hear by, ideally.

Remember that it is possible they are still making decisions in relation to the 9 of you and so they may not be able to let you know sooner. Some firms wait to see if some candidates accept their offers before giving out more offers.

Good luck with resolving this and congrats on your TC offers!!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    I don't understand this question "Making a difference to our people, our community and our environment is important to us. Our aim is to have a positive impact on all that we do. Tell us what's important to you and what journey this has taken you on so far." what are they asking for?
    Do you have an interest or a cause that you are passionate about, which has led you either to completing a project, travelling somewhere, becoming involved in an initiative or developing a skill? I know it can seem like a vague question but it is looking for your demonstration of 1. Passion for something to show that you are an interesting and enriched individual, and 2. Commitment to pursuing that thing to the best of your ability to show your conviction and drive to make a difference.

Off the top of my head, I might answer this by saying that exposing young people to the arts is incredibly important to me, which has led me to volunteer for a range of charities that provide free music, dance and visual arts lessons to students from underserved communities! I could then talk about my 'journey' as including the places this has brought me to, the individuals I have encountered, etc.

I hope that helps :)

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Do you have an interest or a cause that you are passionate about, which has led you either to completing a project, travelling somewhere, becoming involved in an initiative or developing a skill? I know it can seem like a vague question but it is looking for your demonstration of 1. Passion for something to show that you are an interesting and enriched individual, and 2. Commitment to pursuing that thing to the best of your ability to show your conviction and drive to make a difference.

Off the top of my head, I might answer this by saying that exposing young people to the arts is incredibly important to me, which has led me to volunteer for a range of charities that provide free music, dance and visual arts lessons to students from underserved communities! I could then talk about my 'journey' as including the places this has brought me to, the individuals I have encountered, etc.

I hope that helps :)
    Love this! extremely helpful, thank you

• Love
    Reactions: James Carrabino

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I would advise to be patient. It sounds like you’ll get a call on Monday anyway.

Do not expect Graduate Recruitment to respond at the weekend and especially via LinkedIn. This is not appropriate. Only contact GR through email.

Your other firms don’t need a decision this weekend either, and so there is no immediate rush on this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.