TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
I have known some employers (outside of law) to explicitly ask people not to talk about their offers/outcomes for this and other reasons.
I've heard Freshfields is doing exactly that and it makes sense! Although when one person leaks it then the whole concept breaks down...

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    I feel for you! It sounds like they were fairly up front with you about the fact that they released all news (positive or negative) together and so I would not let your mind wander and start inferring anything from the delay! Hopefully the delay lasts no longer than Monday anyway :)

Regardless, you have done exceptionally well to receive 2 TC offers and so the agony could be worse 😊 I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    All thanks to TCLA I should add. I had 0 acceptances for 4 years prior to joining this group.

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    I've heard Freshfields is doing exactly that and it makes sense! Although when one person leaks it then the whole concept breaks down...
    Our firm told us not to spread info about offers but it took literally 5 seconds for that to fail. People started going “anyone receive a call?” In our group chat… and then the lid was blown right off haha

• Haha
    Reactions: James Carrabino

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Our firm told us not to spread info about offers but it took literally 5 seconds for that to fail. People started going “anyone receive a call?” In our group chat… and then the lid was blown right off haha
    Haha well it happens... at least they tried not to leave you in agony by telling you that! Perhaps they figured people would follow instructions so it did not matter when the partners ended up ringing 🤣 So I do think you have to wait it out - let us know when you hear :)

Reactions: rightletsdothis

captainhilts

Star Member
    Aug 22, 2021
    Hi @James Carrabino @Jessica Booker

Hypothetically, I were to be offered a TC at the end of summer at a US firm, would I be able to defer it for a year to do a masters? Also, if my masters is in the US, would I be able to ask said US firm to transfer to their New York office rather than return to London? (it has always been a dream of mine to one day work in NYC!)

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @James Carrabino @Jessica Booker

Hypothetically, I were to be offered a TC at the end of summer at a US firm, would I be able to defer it for a year to do a masters? Also, if my masters is in the US, would I be able to ask said US firm to transfer to their New York office rather than return to London? (it has always been a dream of mine to one day work in NYC!)

Thanks
    Deferring to do a masters is fairly common. It really depends on your firm’s policy on this and whether they would make you go through a final round interview again next year (not unknown). You’d need to speak to the firm either in a VS exit interview or post offer to see the chances of that. A fair number of people defer their places across firms each year for masters study or something else, so this is not unknown and will be a common question recruitment teams get during schemes or after offers are made.

The transferring to the US office is unlikely though. It is not unknown but is exceptionally rare and when it does happen you need to be the best of the best candidate. Even when you do, you typically have to go through the US recruitment process still, just with a recommendation from the U.K. office.

Work permits are not straight forward either, so even if they did want to offer you a place in NY it may not be as simple as that if you don’t have the right to work in the US. Your profile is also not typical to US candidates, most will have a JD rather than an LLM, and so you are competing in a different student market. As a LLM student, you typically need something else significant to your profile to compete with the JD students with significant profiles. Your masters would need to be at a prominent US law school and you’d probably need to network effectively during your masters you strengthen your chances of converting to the US office or finding another US firm to work for.

You’d obviously also need to pass the NY Bar.

Most people take the view that it is easier to qualify in the U.K. and then move laterally to the US either on a trainee secondment or as an associate (either short term, long term or permanently). However, you’ll be in an environment where other people may also want the same (especially in a US firm). How likely you are to get a move across, really depends on a diverse range of circumstances, many of which will be completely out of your control.

Last edited:

captainhilts

Star Member
    Aug 22, 2021
    Deferring to do a masters is fairly common. It really depends on your firm’s policy on this and whether they would make you go through a final round interview again next year (not unknown). You’d need to speak to the firm either in a VS exit interview or post offer to see the chances of that. A fair number of people defer their places across firms each year for masters study or something else, so this is not unknown and will be a common question recruitment teams get during schemes or after offers are made.

The transferring to the US office is unlikely though. It is not unknown but is exceptionally rare and when it does happen you need to be the best of the best candidate. Even when you do, you typically have to go through the US recruitment process still, just with a recommendation from the U.K. office.

Work permits are not straight forward either, so even if they did want to offer you a place in NY it may not be as simple as that if you don’t have the right to work in the US. Your profile is also not typical to US candidates, most will have a JD rather than an LLM, and so you are competing in a different student market. As a LLM student, you typically need something else significant to your profile to compete with the JD students with significant profiles. Your masters would need to be at a prominent US law school and you’d probably need to network effectively during your masters you strengthen your chances of converting to the US office or finding another US firm to work for.

You’d obviously also need to pass the NY Bar.

Most people take the view that it is easier to qualify in the U.K. and then move laterally to the US either on a trainee secondment or as an associate (either short term, long term or permanently). However, you’ll be in an environment where other people may also want the same (especially in a US firm). How likely you are to get a move across, really depends on a diverse range of circumstances, many of which will be completely out of your control.
    Thank you very much for this insight @Jessica Booker ! In your opinion, then, what would be the best way, as a UK qualified lawyer, to permanently move to NY?

Reactions: GXA123

psr23

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 15, 2020
    Has anyone not heard back from Akin Gump for their summer VS? I did the WG on 18 Jan, it's clearly a rejection now as they had already offered vac scheme places before I did the WG. They sent out a mass of rejection emails (in March if I remember correctly), and I just haven't heard. Got another firm like this too, so frustrating!

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2022
    i really think i messed up my WBD video interview ahaha
    Oh no what happened?
    If it makes you feel better I thought I failed my initial application so I was shocked when I got a VI invite. Don't count yourself out until you hear what the firm has to say! I always think things go better than we think when applying because we put so much pressure on ourselves to be perfect and that is essentially impossible.

CC77

Premium Member
    Aug 25, 2020
    i really think i messed up my WBD video interview ahaha
    Oh no what happened?
    If it makes you feel better I thought I failed my initial application so I was shocked when I got a VI invite. Don't count yourself out until you hear what the firm has to say! I always think things go better than we think when applying because we put so much pressure on ourselves to be perfect and that is essentially impossible.
    Great advice @Ameliaa ☺️ I always get nervous after interviews thinking I've messed up - the majority of that is self-doubt. You've done so well getting to the VI interview stage, WBD definitely sees potential in you! I'm sure you've done a lot better than expected and as they've said, they're not looking for someone polished, they're looking for someone with potential - which you've already demonstrated by getting this far! Don't count yourself out yet!

MFK

Aug 25, 2019
    Hi! I did mine a couple hours ago and I think it went so well, so don't worry!!

I don't know what I am allowed to say about it so I'll keep it brief, however, it was very short and the answers are only 90 seconds long. You can re-film your answer once too which is reassuring!

All in all they're very simple questions!

Good luck!
    Hey! How long did you have before you could re-record your answer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    is it odd to put an incoming vacation scheme on your CV ? Im applying for a consulting scheme and idk whether they will consider future legal work experience to be of value ? @Jessica Booker
    Any work experience is typically of value and is ultimately better than nothing (e.g. if you have no other work experience lined up for the summer, something is better than nothing).

Therefore, it will be fine to include it, but I would caveat that by saying that is as long as you are clearly expressing your motivations for consulting. If this isn't clear from the rest of your application, there could be a question as to why you are considering a career in consultancy when you have been pursuing (and are still pursuing) a career in law.

I think it also depends what type of consultancy firm you are applying to though.

Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

legalgyal100

Standard Member
  • Feb 25, 2022
    Any work experience is typically of value and is ultimately better than nothing (e.g. if you have no other work experience lined up for the summer, something is better than nothing).

Therefore, it will be fine to include it, but I would caveat that by saying that is as long as you are clearly expressing your motivations for consulting. If this isn't clear from the rest of your application, there could be a question as to why you are considering a career in consultancy when you have been pursuing (and are still pursuing) a career in law.

I think it also depends what type of consultancy firm you are applying to though.
    Thank you Jessica ! i should probably take a few insight days off my cv then ahaha. Also Does it being a management consultancy firm make a difference?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica ! i should probably take a few insight days off my cv then ahaha. Also Does it being a management consultancy firm make a difference?
    It isn't really the type of consultancy firm, more how prestigious they are. Certain consultancy firms are exceptionally competitive (more so that the equivalent law firm) and so it will be really important to ensure you are show casing the skills and motivations for consultancy.

However, I'll be frank, many consultancy firms are quite interested in people who have considered law, mainly where law student populations are much more diverse than their talent pool!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.